Rumor: Carolina to Buy Out Scott Darling

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
In 17-18, the Canes won at a ~98 point pace with Cam Ward as the starter and just a ~68 point pace with Scott Darling in net.

There have been worse contracts handed out over the years, but when you consider the impact a player has had on a team, Darling is in the conversation for the very worst signing post-lockout.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I would like to see Chicago sign him to an AHL deal like they did to begin with and maybe he can make it back again under their guidance.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
In 17-18, the Canes won at a ~98 point pace with Cam Ward as the starter and just a ~68 point pace with Scott Darling in net.

There have been worse contracts handed out over the years, but when you consider the impact a player has had on a team, Darling is in the conversation for the very worst signing post-lockout.

Ward wasn’t even that good. For all the talk of why carolina got better this year, it’s because they finally had average goaltending to do something.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Smart move.

I can't believe they signed him to that ridiculous contract to begin with. He's a beer league goalie.
They rolled the dice on a backup who had put up good numbers in Chicago. They didn’t develop their own guy while Ward was their starter. Ward was drafted in 2002. They signed Darling back in 2017 when Ward was 33. Alex N was drafted in 2014 but still required more time in the A.
There’s not many Ben Bishops who hit free agency.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

... nervously awaits buyout and Buffalo signing him to be their 2 or 3...

Reactions: MinJerkBen

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Taking a chance on Darling was fine at the time. He was considered one of the better available goaltenders at the time, and there was all the talk about how he was ready to be a starter and just needed the opportunity.

The mistake was signing him to a long-term deal immediately, before he even so much as played a game in their uniform.

Now obviously, they couldn't have expected Darling to handle the transition out of Chicago so poorly (between showing up to camp out of shape and other less verifiable rumors), but it would have been so much better to give him a short "show me" type deal.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Smart move.

I can't believe they signed him to that ridiculous contract to begin with. He's a beer league goalie.

What's funny is they weren't the only team trying to get him. Dallas was very interested until they realised they were Bishop's preferred landing spot. There were presumably others as well.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I would like to see Chicago sign him to an AHL deal like they did to begin with and maybe he can make it back again under their guidance.
Yep. If he doesn't work out, he won't cost a penny to our cap hit.

But if he has issues, living near friends and family (like he did when he was here a few years ago) could help sort out some of his off-ice issues and get him back on track to be at least a decent NHL backup.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He will get a contract easily because while he can't be a starter and that's been proven his numbers as a backup are spectacular I'd have no issue at all with Scott Darling as Fredrik Andersen's backup

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You are obviously not familiar with his latest work

As I said we know he can't be a starter and that's been proven, but if he landed in a place like Toronto where there is an established starter that's fine.

Scott Darling can be an NHL backup we know it we have seen it it wasn't that long ago you could argue he was the best backup in the NHL.

I don't need him to play 65 games

at most I need 20

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
As I said we know he can't be a starter and that's been proven, but if he landed in a place like Toronto where there is an established starter that's fine.

Scott Darling can be an NHL backup we know it we have seen it it wasn't that long ago you could argue he was the best backup in the NHL.

I don't need him to play 65 games

at most I need 20

He’s borderline beer-league at this point. Hockey Mecca would crucify him on the CN tower if he played anywhere near to his last 2 years of play. He’s probably off to Europe or retiring at this point.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
No surprise. Hopefully he can continue his pro career. I’m guessing it won’t be in the nhl, but maybe Europe or the minors next year?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Damn that suchs! Seemed like a no-brainer signing at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00