Carolina to Affiliate with Chicago Wolves and not Charlotte Checkers

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Just curious, but what excuse could they use to not make a schedule for you? If you own a franchise and are willing to play without an affiliate, what would be their reason to not give you a schedule?

That's a great question....maybe you should call the former owner of Norfolk and ask him since that's what he said they threatened to do to him if he didn't sell.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Perfect...then would you like to share with the class or is it a secret?

It's not a secret at all. The AHL absolutely doesn't have a rule or bylaw in writing that prevents independent teams, because they aren't anti-trust exempt. But they absolutely forbid teams from playing without an affiliate. The Norfolk situation proves that.

Despite what the AHL claims they used to have a bylaw that prohibited independent teams. On February 4th, 2003 in the Worcester Telegram two-time AHL Ellery Award winner Bill Ballou wrote the following (the image is a screen capture from the Worcester Public Library online resource of past editions of the Worcester Telegram. You can see the terms I searched as they appear in yellow.):

That contains information from the "State of the AHL" by Dave Andrews at the 2003 All-Star game. There is zero chance Ballou made it up.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
It's not a secret at all. The AHL absolutely doesn't have a rule or bylaw in writing that prevents independent teams, because they aren't anti-trust exempt. But they absolutely forbid teams from playing without an affiliate. The Norfolk situation proves that.

Despite what the AHL claims they used to have a bylaw that prohibited independent teams. On February 4th, 2003 in the Worcester Telegram two-time AHL Ellery Award winner Bill Ballou wrote the following (the image is a screen capture from the Worcester Public Library online resource of past editions of the Worcester Telegram. You can see the terms I searched as they appear in yellow.):

That contains information from the "State of the AHL" by Dave Andrews at the 2003 All-Star game. There is zero chance Ballou made it up.

I get it...but as Tommy pointed out...the AHL doesn't have nor do they want to have the deep pockets to contest it in court which is exactly where Levin would take it. The man is a Billionaire and has little use for the bs that is the AHL and it's leadership. Now maybe that changes come June 30th...my birthday and also independence day. We'll have to wait and see what Howson brings to the table...if it's change I can see the attitude changing....if it's staus quo then....

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Sure is taking them a long time for any official confirmation of who it will be next season.

They likely have bigger things they must take care of right now. Like what the heck is going to happen next season, when it is going to happen, and how they are going to do it, let alone who is going to be their affiliate.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Growler

May 16, 2018
Well...Well...Well...GEE..looks like there's going to be a HUGE meal of crow eaten by certain people on this board...You know who you are don't you...I believe you go by the handle that is also what you call a North Carolina University athlete.....MONTHS ago I was told by some that I didn't know what I was talking about and that there was NO WAY Carolina would leave Charlotte and destroy the footprint that they had created...etc...etc blah...blah...blah The line to apologize forms to the left...have some guts and balls and come on here and tell me you are sorry and that yes I did know what I was talking about.
I am just catching up on this now. Why did this happen? It was so logical to have the NHL/AHL/ECHL in the same state.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I am just catching up on this now. Why did this happen? It was so logical to have the NHL/AHL/ECHL in the same state.
Dundon wanted a higher affiliation fee from the Charlotte Checkers. It sounds like Charlotte refused so waddell approached the wolves

Last edited:

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I'm hoping the AHL gets to a point where there's 16 ET teams and 16 non-ET teams like the NHL. Thus, the Eastern Conference AHL teams would all be affiliated with Eastern NHL teams, same with the Western teams.

Which means Carolina will have to find another Eastern time affiliate in the future if somehow they and the Checkers don't patch things up.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I'm hoping the AHL gets to a point where there's 16 ET teams and 16 non-ET teams like the NHL. Thus, the Eastern Conference AHL teams would all be affiliated with Eastern NHL teams, same with the Western teams.

Which means Carolina will have to find another Eastern time affiliate in the future if somehow they and the Checkers don't patch things up.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the Wolves and Blackhawks would hook up. I mean, the Wolves could go back to St. Louis if they wanted a closer parent club.

You're weird.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad