Carolina to Affiliate with Chicago Wolves and not Charlotte Checkers

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
How about that fans of teams that leaves them as an affiliate are more than happy to do so because they value winning and playing 27 y/o career AHLers over 20 y/o prospects. Their ownership prioritizes short-term success over player development. The AHL is about prospect development, not having the young guys minutes taken away so a career journyman can light up inexperienced goaltenders.

Sorry, but I'm not looking forward to that.

Last edited:

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
How about that fans of teams that leaves them as an affiliate are more than happy to do so because they value winning and playing 27 y/o career AHLers over 20 y/o prospects. Their ownership prioritizes short-term success over player development. The AHL is about prospect development, not having the young guys minutes taken away so a career journyman can light up inexperienced goaltenders.

Sorry, but I'm not looking forward to that.

Ok...AGAIN...do you have specific examples and not just the random stuff said by fans? So far all you are doing is parroting the tired old rhetoric. Name those 27 yr old AHLers the Wolves are playing and name the 20 year olds they are being play over?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
:popcorn:

If this officially happens, I will come out the big winner in all of this. :hyper:
Because you have the exclusive franchise rights to in-flight service items & baggage handling for the O'Hare-to-Raleigh-Durham International route? :huh:

Reactions: DaveG

HRAds

Apr 13, 2007
Show Place Arena in Upper Marlboro, but it's not quite The Beltway. Bring back the Chesapeake Icebreakers name, logo, and colors in a different league.

That would not be a good idea. Show Place Arena was not good as an ECHL arena in the 90's. Unless PG County has poured a bunch of money into it, that has not changed.

Now if the Caps wanted to buy and AHL team and move them to Virginia then Norfolk is the spot. The hockey community here would embrace a Caps affiliated AHL team and the distance between Scope and the Caps practice facility in Arlington is 3 1/2-4 hours depending on traffic. There is also a very strong likelihood of a new arena in Norfolk now that the city has purchased an old mall in the middle of the city and the mayor badly wants one.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Ok...AGAIN...do you have specific examples and not just the random stuff said by fans? So far all you are doing is parroting the tired old rhetoric. Name those 27 yr old AHLers the Wolves are playing and name the 20 year olds they are being play over?

These guys all got some big minutes in the Calder Cup Finals

Tye McGinn (28)
Stefan Matteau (25)
Daniel Carr (27)
Curtis McKenzie (27)
Brooks Macek (26)
TJ Tynan (26)
Zac Leslie (25)
Jake Bischoff (25)

I noticed they seemed to be on the ice more than the likes of Cody Glass, Nicholas Hauge, and Keegan Kolesar. Whatever, not my team so not complaining.

Meanwhile Charlotte gave quality minutes to guys like Martin Necas, Gauthier, Bean and Geekie. Sure they played Patrick Brown and Trevor Carrick but Velluchi wanted all his young guys to get quality minutes.

You or anyone else can say something like "All teams do this" (aka play older guys) and yeah they do, but you also asked me earlier about "proving" the Wolves are notorious to deal with, well a lot of stems from them valuing winning over player development (aka playing more experienced journeymen over younger prospects), and thats not "rhetoric", Wendell Young (GM) admits this.

Chicago Wolves: The farm team that reaps what it sows

“It starts up top with ownership (team founders Don Levin and Buddy Meyers). They demand winning and give us what we need to do that,” Young said. “We finished third one year, I get told that’s not a good year.”

So Anderson and Young play the players they think give them the best chance to win, regardless of whether they are also the young guys with the draft pedigrees. That would chasten some NHL clubs, who will rely on those young draft picks to fill out their lines in the coming years.

Levin goes on to say in this article from a few months ago about the Golden Knights leaving.

Golden Knights purchase AHL franchise, Wolves owner confident team will find new NHL partnership

"We want to find the best possible fit. For us it's about having some veterans and being able to win some games."

Maybe the Wolves should just consider going independent then? This is now the 4th change they've had since 2011. For a city like Chicago and with an ownership group thats been around for years, that's quite alarming. Not even the Blackhawks want anything to do with them. Could it be that maybe this revolving door has something to do with the front offices "vision of success"?

Sorry but as a Checkers/Hurricanes fan, this is not something I'm looking forward too. The Wolves ownership contradicts what the Checkers have been about, and I and pretty much everyone else in the Hurricanes fanbase wants no part of this upcoming affiliation. We're not looking forward to having Zach Boychuk types play over Ryan Suzuki types because the ownership says so. Thats a big part of my frustration with this.

Last edited:

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
These guys all got some big minutes in the Calder Cup Finals

Tye McGinn (28)
Stefan Matteau (25)
Daniel Carr (27)
Curtis McKenzie (27)
Brooks Macek (26)
TJ Tynan (26)
Zac Leslie (25)
Jake Bischoff (25)

I noticed they seemed to be on the ice more than the likes of Cody Glass, Nicholas Hauge, and Keegan Kolesar. Whatever, not my team so not complaining.

Meanwhile Charlotte gave quality minutes to guys like Martin Necas, Gauthier, Bean and Geekie. Sure they played Patrick Brown and Trevor Carrick but Velluchi wanted all his young guys to get quality minutes.

You or anyone else can say something like "All teams do this" (aka play older guys) and yeah they do, but you also asked me earlier about "proving" the Wolves are notorious to deal with, well a lot of stems from them valuing winning over player development (aka playing more experienced journeymen over younger prospects), and thats not "rhetoric", Wendell Young (GM) admits this.

Chicago Wolves: The farm team that reaps what it sows

Levin goes on to say in this article from a few months ago about the Golden Knights leaving.

Golden Knights purchase AHL franchise, Wolves owner confident team will find new NHL partnership

Maybe the Wolves should just consider going independent then? This is now the 4th change they've had since 2011. For a city like Chicago and with an ownership group thats been around for years, that's quite alarming. Not even the Blackhawks want anything to do with them. Could it be that maybe this revolving door has something to do with the front offices "vision of success"?

Sorry but as a Checkers/Hurricanes fan, this is not something I'm looking forward too. The Wolves ownership contradicts what the Checkers have been about, and I and pretty much everyone else in the Hurricanes fanbase wants no part of this upcoming affiliation. We're not looking forward to having Zach Boychuk types play over Ryan Suzuki types because the ownership says so. Thats a big part of my frustration with this.

I'll try to address all that you've said...there's a lot:
First part...Of ALL of the players you named... ALL except 1 were Vegas Golden Knight contracted players and truthfully you could argue about that 1...Vegas traded a player under contract to them to Winnipeg( Jimmy Oligny) and in return Manitoba traded a player on a minor League contract back.
As for Hague and Glass...LOL...Hague played on the Top D pairing all year with Zach Whitecloud and Glass was on the #1 power play unit and centered a line with 2 of the players (McKenzie and McGinn) you said got BIG MINUTES in the Calder Finals...LOL doesn't wash especially with how good Glass was throughout the playoffs...easily one of the best players on the team so why would a team that's "all about winning" sit one of their best players???

Nowhere in any of the "articles" you produced does it have any quotes from anyone in the Wolves organization where they say the prioritize winning over development...and if you have those quotes please post them. Do the Wolves want to win...sure....why the hell play if you aren't trying to win. Based on your comments then last year was an awful year for Carolina prospects because they won...so they mustve put winning ahead of development. Why bother playing then if you dont want to win? Might as well change the name of the league to the ICL... and work on triple axels and looking pretty right? You fans down there are giving back the Calder Cup from last year right...you don't want it right because after all it's about developing not winning.

With regards to changing affiliations....4 in 20 years and 3 in the last 10...ok so...Vancouver told Chicago they were sending certain players to the Wolves and so Chicago didn't sign players to fill those spots and then Vancouver didn't send them and the Wolves had to scramble...not the best way to treat your affiliate.
St Louis...who by the way did pretty well last year with a number of players "developed" in chicago...can't seem to get out of their own way...they are on their 2nd affliation that has ended badly...the Wolves who told them they didn't want to be with them anymore after some things that went on...player personal decisions the Wolves werent happy about like bringing Ty Rattie back and sending him to Chicago to sulk...we know where he is now...
AND San Antonio who felt so strongly about the affliation that they sold the team out from under the Blues and didn't even tell them until 30 minutes before it was announced...not the signs of a really healthy relationship dont you think?

The blackhawks...well now there's an interesting but yet long story...there have been conversations between the 2 teams and the Wolves have rebuffed the hawks every time. It's pretty simple back when the Wolves were starting out in the early 90's the owner of the hawks tried to put the Wolves out of business because he saw them as a threat to his team. Because of his treatment of hawks fans. He told then Rosemont Horizen owners etc that if they allowed the Wolves to play there he would instruct his liquor distributorship to no longer service the building and was trying to get all the others to do the same. At one point during the "rivalry" the Wolves actually outdrew the hawks on a number of dates...including the now "infamous" sunday afternoon in march. ESPN came to chicago to do a featur on hockey in chicago...coincidently....both teams were taking on the florida organizations...the hawks the Panthers at 3 pm and the Wolves their then affiliate San Antonio at 4 pm...the Wolves granted ESPN access to the building etc...the hawks denied them any access inside the building...the Wolves also outdrew the hawks that day. relations between the 2 teams have never been friendly and only now are they "cordial" per say so affiliate... I'll never say never but I will say HIGHLY unlikely to ever happen. in fact one last "story"...during the lock in 05...then hawk Steve McCarthy planned on signing a deal with the Wolves to play that season and "stay in shape" per say...hawks owner bill wirtz found out about it and told McCarthy that if he wanted to play for the Wolves go ahead but he might as well sell his house in chicago because he would never play for the hawks again...McCarthy confirmed this story to me years ago when he finally did play for the Wolves. BTW McCarthy never played for the hawks again, he was in Vancouver in 05-06
Keep in mind Don Waddell has a long history with the Wolves ownership...a relationship that worked out very well and lasted 10 years and might still be had the team not been sold and moved to Winnipeg, a team that already owned a minor league team in the AHL...So this might also work out well.

Last edited:

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Btw...one last thing...you mentioned Charlotte having Brown and Carrick playing...why were they playing? What was their purpose?

G50

May 21, 2011
Near the Wolves, IL
Because you have the exclusive franchise rights to in-flight service items & baggage handling for the O'Hare-to-Raleigh-Durham International route? :huh:

Wolves and Canes are both 2 of my hockey teams. There's a lot more two the winning portion, but let's see if this even happens first :laugh:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I thought the Panthers and Wolves would've been excellent partners.

I expect the Panthers to buyout the Checkers and re-locate their team. Although I think Vegas should've just bought the Charlotte Checkers, the Panthers and Rampage had a good relationship.

Assuming there was no other craziness in the scenario that Vegas bought the Checkers and moved them, the Rampage and Blues would most likely still be together, as they were only in year 2 of a 5 year affiliation agreement, so again it would come around to Wolves and Panthers partnering.

I think this move affects the Checkers more than the Canes. The Checkers losing that Canes connection will result in a drop off of the fans there because of it. So I could eventually see the Checkers franchise being sold and relocated as they are also on an island with Hershey as the closest opponent.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Assuming there was no other craziness in the scenario that Vegas bought the Checkers and moved them, the Rampage and Blues would most likely still be together, as they were only in year 2 of a 5 year affiliation agreement, so again it would come around to Wolves and Panthers partnering.

I think this move affects the Checkers more than the Canes. The Checkers losing that Canes connection will result in a drop off of the fans there because of it. So I could eventually see the Checkers franchise being sold and relocated as they are also on an island with Hershey as the closest opponent.
The panthers have said they don't want to own a franchise they could have bought the then Portland Pirates but chose not to.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The panthers have said they don't want to own a franchise they could have bought the then Portland Pirates but chose not to.

It's why I thought Chicago and Florida would've been such a good match and highly doubt any problems between both would've ever happened. Plus there are tons of flights going from Chicago to Miami.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Exactly. I'm saying in that hypothetical scenario brought up earlier of Vegas buying the Checkers franchise instead of the SA franchise and Florida going back to the Rampage, barring any additional things the Rampage would still most likely be affiliated with the Blues because they were in year 2 of a 5 year agreement. I don't mean that to be saying Florida has been looking to purchase an AHL franchise just that in that hypothetical scenario the Blues likely wouldn't be switching, they had to find a new affiliate this year because of Vegas buying the Rampage, not because they were wanting to.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Exactly. I'm saying in that hypothetical scenario brought up earlier of Vegas buying the Checkers franchise instead of the SA franchise and Florida going back to the Rampage, barring any additional things the Rampage would still most likely be affiliated with the Blues because they were in year 2 of a 5 year agreement. I don't mean that to be saying Florida has been looking to purchase an AHL franchise just that in that hypothetical scenario the Blues likely wouldn't be switching, they had to find a new affiliate this year because of Vegas buying the Rampage, not because they were wanting to.
IMO the Blues' ownership needed a kick in the hockey pants to make them understand that affiliations are not something to be taken lightly. Hopefully the Thunderbirds' owners will force a cooperative effort.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
How do you know that the Blues take affiliations lightly?
From their engagement (or lack thereof) and treatment of previous AHL affiliates. At least in the Stillman years. The organization has more chair-filling VPs than their AHL teams have had roster players.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
From their engagement (or lack thereof) and treatment of previous AHL affiliates. At least in the Stillman years. The organization has more chair-filling VPs than their AHL teams have had roster players.

This isn't possible...according to EVERYONE...the Wolves were the problem. You mean doing to Chicago exactly what Vancouver did by telling them not to sign a certain player because they were going to send player X down to them and then either keeping him up or trading him is the problem? Or was it when the Wolves said they didn't want St. Louis to reclaim Ty Rattie from Carolina because he was a malcontent and St. louis not only reclaimed him but sent him to Chicago to pout,sulk and poison the locker room. You mean stuff like that?

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
First part...Of ALL of the players you named... ALL except 1 were Vegas Golden Knight contracted players and truthfully you could argue about that 1...Vegas traded a player under contract to them to Winnipeg( Jimmy Oligny) and in return Manitoba traded a player on a minor League contract back.
As for Hague and Glass...LOL...Hague played on the Top D pairing all year with Zach Whitecloud and Glass was on the #1 power play unit and centered a line with 2 of the players (McKenzie and McGinn) you said got BIG MINUTES in the Calder Finals...LOL doesn't wash especially with how good Glass was throughout the playoffs...easily one of the best players on the team so why would a team that's "all about winning" sit one of their best players???

Ok, fine. I can admit I'm wrong here.

Nowhere in any of the "articles" you produced does it have any quotes from anyone in the Wolves organization where they say the prioritize winning over development...and if you have those quotes please post them

I embedded those comments because thats not what the Checkers have been about. Winning is great, but the organization wants their players to succeed at the next level too.

Do the Wolves want to win...sure....why the hell play if you aren't trying to win.

Sure, and that's their right to want to do that.

Based on your comments then last year was an awful year for Carolina prospects because they won...so they mustve put winning ahead of development. Why bother playing then if you dont want to win? Might as well change the name of the league to the ICL... and work on triple axels and looking pretty right? You fans down there are giving back the Calder Cup from last year right...you don't want it right because after all it's about developing not winning.

Not at all. Yes, I can admit I was excited as hell about them winning the Calder but for me, it goes beyond just that. What really was great about last year (and the year prior) was that we could finally see some development and progress in the younger guys. To make a long story short, we in Carolina have been burned many many times in the past w/ prospects that don't look anything NHL material when called up. Why that is, is another story. That started to change when guys like Foegele, Necas, Wallmark, and even Hayden Fleury (whom we thought was trending towards 'bust' territory) started getting more time in Raleigh. Their development in Charlotte was a big step in their development to the next level. For once we were not dealing with the "You can take the player out of the AHL but you can't take the AHL out of the player" scenario. The last few seasons has been probably the best progression from AHL to NHL the Hurricanes have seen since, maybe ever.

Regarding the last comment. Having those aforementioned prospects get valuable playoff experience was a dream for me and others. The better drafting led to better results for both clubs and watching the two go on their playoff runs last season has led to the brightest future the organization has had.

With regards to changing affiliations....4 in 20 years and 3 in the last 10...ok so...Vancouver told Chicago they were sending certain players to the Wolves and so Chicago didn't sign players to fill those spots and then Vancouver didn't send them and the Wolves had to scramble...not the best way to treat your affiliate.
St Louis...who by the way did pretty well last year with a number of players "developed" in chicago...can't seem to get out of their own way...they are on their 2nd affliation that has ended badly...the Wolves who told them they didn't want to be with them anymore after some things that went on...player personal decisions the Wolves werent happy about like bringing Ty Rattie back and sending him to Chicago to sulk...we know where he is now...
AND San Antonio who felt so strongly about the affliation that they sold the team out from under the Blues and didn't even tell them until 30 minutes before it was announced...not the signs of a really healthy relationship dont you think?

Fair enough, again, I can admit I'm wrong.

The blackhawks...well now there's an interesting but yet long story...there have been conversations between the 2 teams and the Wolves have rebuffed the hawks every time. It's pretty simple back when the Wolves were starting out in the early 90's the owner of the hawks tried to put the Wolves out of business because he saw them as a threat to his team. Because of his treatment of hawks fans. He told then Rosemont Horizen owners etc that if they allowed the Wolves to play there he would instruct his liquor distributorship to no longer service the building and was trying to get all the others to do the same. At one point during the "rivalry" the Wolves actually outdrew the hawks on a number of dates...including the now "infamous" sunday afternoon in march. ESPN came to chicago to do a featur on hockey in chicago...coincidently....both teams were taking on the florida organizations...the hawks the Panthers at 3 pm and the Wolves their then affiliate San Antonio at 4 pm...the Wolves granted ESPN access to the building etc...the hawks denied them any access inside the building...the Wolves also outdrew the hawks that day. relations between the 2 teams have never been friendly and only now are they "cordial" per say so affiliate... I'll never say never but I will say HIGHLY unlikely to ever happen. in fact one last "story"...during the lock in 05...then hawk Steve McCarthy planned on signing a deal with the Wolves to play that season and "stay in shape" per say...hawks owner bill wirtz found out about it and told McCarthy that if he wanted to play for the Wolves go ahead but he might as well sell his house in chicago because he would never play for the hawks again...McCarthy confirmed this story to me years ago when he finally did play for the Wolves. BTW McCarthy never played for the hawks again, he was in Vancouver in 05-06

I was not aware of this. Thanks for sharing that. It gives me a better insight to the situation.

Keep in mind Don Waddell has a long history with the Wolves ownership...a relationship that worked out very well and lasted 10 years and might still be had the team not been sold and moved to Winnipeg, a team that already owned a minor league team in the AHL...So this might also work out well.

Yep, I'm aware of the relationship. The thing is, it just catches me off guard because the Canes/Checkers are both finally starting to be successful at the same time, and the sport of Hockey is getting more attention in the state because of it. To me it's insanity that the two want to break it off, but that's their right. I also worry about the future of the game in Charlotte. Hockey is by far my favorite sport to watch and attend and the Checkers are much better entertainment for my dollar than the NBA and NFL teams here. I'm concerned that whoever moves in, be it Florida or whoever will decide to do what Vegas is doing w/ San Antonio and we may not see Hockey in the city again. I think the Hurricanes should re-consider what they are doing, but it's their right to make their own call.

Btw...one last thing...you mentioned Charlotte having Brown and Carrick playing...why were they playing? What was their purpose?

I brought that up because I figured you or whoever else would state the obvious and say "every team does this" or something, and we all know every team plays AHL contract players. But I'll give you the lowdown here. Mike Velluchi was the Checkers coach the last two seasons and he did an admirable job of balancing giving minutes to the two groups (Vets and prospects) and letting the younger guys work their way up the depth chart. That doesn't mean he got everything "right", but his line-ups were a dream for those of us who follow both teams. That contradicted Jeff Daniels whom I and many others thought was playing "favorites" and thus stunted the development of some players. He (Daniels) could coach to win but his development style wasn't working, although to be fair to him that wasn't all his fault as the Hurricanes drafts have gotten better in the past 4-5 years, and he wasn't always given the best hand. We never really got to know the two guys in-between (Mark Morris and Ulf Samuelsson) because they were only here for a season each, and the Hurricanes were deep in their rebuild.

Now with regards to Brown and Carrick, this goes back to Velluchi. We as Canes/Checkers fans didn't think those two guys and the others like them (the vets) were being given minutes that should have been going to the 21 y/os breaking into the AHL. With Daniels that wasn't always the case, and it hurt at the next level. So for me and everyone else, there was no problem with the vets being where they were in the lineup, everyone got to benefit and the guys who got called up looked the part when they did. And that's what we've been wanting for a long time with the two clubs, Calder Cup or not. Better development leads to better players and better chips to flip for trades.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Ok, fine. I can admit I'm wrong here.

I embedded those comments because thats not what the Checkers have been about. Winning is great, but the organization wants their players to succeed at the next level too.

Sure, and that's their right to want to do that.

Not at all. Yes, I can admit I was excited as hell about them winning the Calder but for me, it goes beyond just that. What really was great about last year (and the year prior) was that we could finally see some development and progress in the younger guys. To make a long story short, we in Carolina have been burned many many times in the past w/ prospects that don't look anything NHL material when called up. Why that is, is another story. That started to change when guys like Foegele, Necas, Wallmark, and even Hayden Fleury (whom we thought was trending towards 'bust' territory) started getting more time in Raleigh. Their development in Charlotte was a big step in their development to the next level. For once we were not dealing with the "You can take the player out of the AHL but you can't take the AHL out of the player" scenario. The last few seasons has been probably the best progression from AHL to NHL the Hurricanes have seen since, maybe ever.

Regarding the last comment. Having those aforementioned prospects get valuable playoff experience was a dream for me and others. The better drafting led to better results for both clubs and watching the two go on their playoff runs last season has led to the brightest future the organization has had.

Fair enough, again, I can admit I'm wrong.

I was not aware of this. Thanks for sharing that. It gives me a better insight to the situation.

Yep, I'm aware of the relationship. The thing is, it just catches me off guard because the Canes/Checkers are both finally starting to be successful at the same time, and the sport of Hockey is getting more attention in the state because of it. To me it's insanity that the two want to break it off, but that's their right. I also worry about the future of the game in Charlotte. Hockey is by far my favorite sport to watch and attend and the Checkers are much better entertainment for my dollar than the NBA and NFL teams here. I'm concerned that whoever moves in, be it Florida or whoever will decide to do what Vegas is doing w/ San Antonio and we may not see Hockey in the city again. I think the Hurricanes should re-consider what they are doing, but it's their right to make their own call.

I brought that up because I figured you or whoever else would state the obvious and say "every team does this" or something, and we all know every team plays AHL contract players. But I'll give you the lowdown here. Mike Velluchi was the Checkers coach the last two seasons and he did an admirable job of balancing giving minutes to the two groups (Vets and prospects) and letting the younger guys work their way up the depth chart. That doesn't mean he got everything "right", but his line-ups were a dream for those of us who follow both teams. That contradicted Jeff Daniels whom I and many others thought was playing "favorites" and thus stunted the development of some players. He (Daniels) could coach to win but his development style wasn't working, although to be fair to him that wasn't all his fault as the Hurricanes drafts have gotten better in the past 4-5 years, and he wasn't always given the best hand. We never really got to know the two guys in-between (Mark Morris and Ulf Samuelsson) because they were only here for a season each, and the Hurricanes were deep in their rebuild.

Now with regards to Brown and Carrick, this goes back to Velluchi. We as Canes/Checkers fans didn't think those two guys and the others like them (the vets) were being given minutes that should have been going to the 21 y/os breaking into the AHL. With Daniels that wasn't always the case, and it hurt at the next level. So for me and everyone else, there was no problem with the vets being where they were in the lineup, everyone got to benefit and the guys who got called up looked the part when they did. And that's what we've been wanting for a long time with the two clubs, Calder Cup or not. Better development leads to better players and better chips to flip for trades.

First of all...Thanks for a cordial, respectful conversation...much respect coming back to you from me! I wish all conversations could be like this instead of the "I'm right so just believe me and you're an idiot if you don't."...lol And while this "relationship" doesn't look pleasant to you at first glance. But I also attribute that to all the crap spewed about the Wolves and only wanting to win...as you mentioned look at the valuable experience your players got in last years playoffs. You mention the whole vet situation...I think you'll find that the Wolves really are no different than any other team, including Charlotte when they play the vets...like with any team you have to earn your minutes regardless of contract and or "stature" . The veteran rule has been a bone of contention with me for years and not because I want more..but because, and I'm on record saying this in here, the rule as it stood for years was that basically after 3 pro seasons you were a veteran in the AHL if you entered at 20 years old and played all the games or "maybe" 4 seasons...my comment has always been how the hell can you expect a 23-24 year old with 3 or so years of experience be a veteran or a "leader" and teach the younger guys how to be a pro when they are still trying to figure it out themselves. Thankfully the league has finally gotten it's head out of it rear and fixed that starting next season.
Also keep in mind that Don Waddell has already said that the coach of their prospects next year will be this year's staff and Pat Dwyer should enjoy coming back to Chicago since he played here years ago. I think you will have to admit that the guys from Chicago that have gone up to play with Vegas this year have stepped in very nicely without missing a beat...you guys get a ton of credit on Nic Roy for sure...but I'd like to think a little credit comes here as well because he has played himself into a permanent role there in my opinion. Not too mention the other guys. Please don't buy into the jealous ramblings of people who have nothing better to do than to find reasons to knock the Wolves because they are a good organization and they play to win...That's one of the reasons Vegas affiliated with them to begin with because they put an emphasis on development through winning and deep playoff runs and championships...Nobody develops by missing the playoffs every year and not learning to deal with that playoff pressure. Ask your Checkers that are still there and they will tell you they grew more last year than at any other time...ask anyone who has won a championship and they will tell you that.
Hell the Wolves were even able to develop an old defenseman who got a cup of coffee in Atlanta...I mean without the Wolves, Chris Chelios would've never suited up in Atlanta...LOL
I truly think this all has to do with the fallout between Kahn and Dundon and whatever it was/is all about. I don't think it would matter where the Canes were going but I'm equally certain they decided early this season that it wouldn't be Charlotte. The Wolves just happened to be available because as I've said...these things don't happen overnight and I'm sure this has been an ongoing discussion between Vegas/San Antonio...Carolina/Wolves since this season began and maybe longer

Last edited:

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I just want to know what the fallout is and why it can't be fixed. The timing for this is strange to me considering where both clubs finished last season. Khan is (or was) a 5% or so stakeholder in the Hurricanes and he and Dundon were sitting together during a game at Bojangles Coliseum when Dundon first bought the team, they seemed to be on the same page. Guess we won't know until someone on Twitter spills the beans.

And sorry for talking out of my ass, just frustration about the situation spilling over.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
IMO the Blues' ownership needed a kick in the hockey pants to make them understand that affiliations are not something to be taken lightly. Hopefully the Thunderbirds' owners will force a cooperative effort.
Well I've always thought it was a bad idea for Stillman and co. to immediately sell off the Rivermen franchise rather than trying to find a way to boost their profitability or relocate them to a better spot back then. However, I think that's really the only place they've gone wrong in regards to their AHL dealings lately, they gave it a very rough go with the Wolves, they had to spread guys out the overlap year with Vegas which caused some trouble, but it worked out alright in the end. I think they loved the partnership with SA not having to run the business side, but able to control the hockey ops, but again ran into Vegas' search for their own team.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I just want to know what the fallout is and why it can't be fixed. The timing for this is strange to me considering where both clubs finished last season. Khan is (or was) a 5% or so stakeholder in the Hurricanes and he and Dundon were sitting together during a game at Bojangles Coliseum when Dundon first bought the team, they seemed to be on the same page. Guess we won't know until someone on Twitter spills the beans.

And sorry for talking out of my ass, just frustration about the situation spilling over.
Peter Karmanos gave him a discount on the Affiliation Fee and it sounds like Dundon wanted him to pay a higher one.
Well I've always thought it was a bad idea for Stillman and co. to immediately sell off the Rivermen franchise rather than trying to find a way to boost their profitability or relocate them to a better spot back then. However, I think that's really the only place they've gone wrong in regards to their AHL dealings lately, they gave it a very rough go with the Wolves, they had to spread guys out the overlap year with Vegas which caused some trouble, but it worked out alright in the end. I think they loved the partnership with SA not having to run the business side, but able to control the hockey ops, but again ran into Vegas' search for their own team.
Do we know if Springfield was sick of the mediocre panthers and reached out to STL or if Florida wanted a new AHL affiliate other than Springfield?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Do we know if Springfield was sick of the mediocre panthers and reached out to STL or if Florida wanted a new AHL affiliate other than Springfield?

There could be other reasons I'm not aware of, according to the following article, I think it's simply a case of Florida's affiliation expiring, the Blues determined not to affiliate with the Wolves again after a rocky relationship and in need of one. Thunderbirds change AHL affiliations, announce deal with St. Louis Blues 2024-25

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

No apology necessary...I get it...frustration over what seemed like a "perfect" situation getting blown up and then you find out that the team you might be getting is the one that EVERYONE loves to rip on as being the evil empire...yes that's a true thought about the Wolves. Problem is it's not a true statement. I agree, the only way anyone will find out what happened between the two of them is if someone accidentally spills the story, which is a possibility given people's desire to be important or know something nobody else knows. And now we wait.

Reactions: HisIceness

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Peter Karmanos gave him a discount on the Affiliation Fee and it sounds like Dundon wanted him to pay a higher one.
Florida wanted an affiliate in its own timezone, which San Antonio was not, nor is Rosemont, Centrum...that's why Colorado got the affiliation until they bought the Eagles up a league, that's where the Blues took that affiliation over once Vegas took control

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad