Confirmed with Link: Carolina signs Derek Ryan

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Interesting. This is the guy who some people drew comparisons to Tyler Johnson from. Both from Spokane and played for the Chiefs.

Also played for Bill Peters in Spokane.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Those are some good numbers. What is your opinion on him Lucky Lindy?

Did watch him some games last year, and was really really good, was a big reason Örebro finished 6th in the league. Not big, but really skilled, and made his linemates much better. Fell off a bit in the playoff, but the whole team did.

A really good signing, could go either way, but nothing to lose here.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Did watch him some games last year, and was really really good, was a big reason Örebro finished 6th in the league. Not big, but really skilled, and made his linemates much better. Fell off a bit in the playoff, but the whole team did.

A really good signing, could go either way, but nothing to lose here.

What do you think we're looking at here as far as upside goes?

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
With the news about Wallmark returning to Sweden barring a jump to the NHL, Ryan looks to be our number one center in Charlotte unless he himself blows the doors off in camp. Good signing.

Edit: This is all pure speculation of course. He could be more highly regarded by Peters than I originally anticipated having knowing him and stating that he wants 3 scoring lines in the NHL.

Last edited:

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Does he play 3rd line centre and then bump Nash down to 4th line on the wing? That's best case scenario obviously.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Does he play 3rd line centre and then bump Nash down to 4th line on the wing? That's best case scenario obviously.

I'm not convinced Nash will start as a 3C to begin with. He didn't perform as well down the stretch and was a scratch some nights and I'm not sure E. Staal will stay on the wing for next year either. If I had to guess, I'd say he's back at C. Then there's Lindholm, who, while he's played mainly wing, has a game that IMO, is much more suited to C. That's E. Staal, J. Staal, Rask, Lindholm, and even Nestrasil as options along with Nash.

Still, if this guy is good and can score, it's a lot easier for a C to play RW/LW than the other way around. Canes need skill and scoring no matter where they fit a guy in so let's hope he can make it. Just not getting my hopes up at all at this point. I remember Jeremy Welsh being penciled into some line-ups as a 3C a few years back also.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
hopefully he is better than this spokane chief

IMG_0636-1-M.jpg

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Lol......Jeremy Welsh. Forgot about him.

I personally see this:

Jordan Staal as 1C
Elias Lindholm as 2C
Camp battle for 3C
Riley Nash or Mclement as 4C.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
But he had an elite, NHL calibre shot at the time he was drafted. Bowman, Dalpe and Boychuk are the future. I haven't given up hope yet.

It would be fun to go back and look at all the trades we scoffed at because they were asking for Zac Dalpe.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Lol......Jeremy Welsh. Forgot about him.

I personally see this:

Jordan Staal as 1C
Elias Lindholm as 2C
Camp battle for 3C
Riley Nash or Mclement as 4C.

I seriously think Nash is so expendable... I really like Mclement on that 4th line, and then we have Mclement in the lineup to kill penalties too which he is really good at. 3C has gotta go to Rask, don't think their will be a battle. Unless Rask takes the 2C spot? We have to many options at center, I think we should trade Nash in a player swap for a position of need like a right winger or defensemen.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Let's let the guy come to camp before we give him a top 9 job. It's a great signing because he would seem to be at least a good ahl call up, with an unknown ceiling. I like it but it's premature to pencil him in anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad