GDT: Carolina Panthers part 2: Is Darnold good or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I don't mind taking a flyer on the kid but I just don't see the talent with him, he is still living off of hype from college where he was overrated there as well. And 2nd and 4th round picks still have lots of value, this isn't the NHL.

But I'll be rooting for him to prove me wrong.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I don't mind taking a flyer on the kid but I just don't see the talent with him, he is still living off of hype from college where he was overrated there as well. And 2nd and 4th round picks still have lots of value, this isn't the NHL.

The talent is definitely there. It has been his decision making, which is partially due to horrible coaching and olines.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The Panthers fan side of me thinks this is a reasonable swing to see how he does away from the tire fire.

The Patriots fan side of me is happy that this likely takes the Panthers out of grabbing a QB in the top 10 of the draft.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The Panthers fan side of me thinks this is a reasonable swing to see how he does away from the tire fire.

The Patriots fan side of me is happy that this likely takes the Panthers out of grabbing a QB in the top 10 of the draft.
Ehh, picking at 8, I wouldn't trust any QB who would be available. I know this is supposedly a great crop of QBs, but given the recent trend of QBs just not working out even medium term with the team who drafted them, I would be leery of anyone who isn't at the absolute top of the list. And even then, I'd be a little skeptical wondering if people are only fawning because of the position and not necessarily the skill.

In a year like we just had with covid, I'm totally fine drafting BPA at 8. You should be able to land an excellent skill player or lineman, especially given the run on QBs we know will happen.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham

But we didn't spend a 1st.. it's not low cost but I'm sure the Jets wanted a 1st. and they didn't get it. also if we improve the second rounder will be worth less then current.. (Now that's an if) It's not a steal but I don't think we got fleeced either.. It was cheaper then most of the alternatives... now we do have a TB problem to deal with

Reactions: DaveG

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The only issue with this move is that sometimes when you have a young guy who's middle of the road, it removes the urgency to actually address the position.

The Panthers need to keep trying to find an above-average NFL QB and if Darnold is not that but is serviceable, they may slow their search for one. Many, many teams have done this and continue to do this. Bridgewater is better because he may not be the answer but you know he's not the answer he's just a bridge, so you won't be tempted to change your plans to replace him.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The only issue with this move is that sometimes when you have a young guy who's middle of the road, it removes the urgency to actually address the position.

The Panthers need to keep trying to find an above-average NFL QB and if Darnold is not that but is serviceable, they may slow their search for one. Many, many teams have done this and continue to do this. Bridgewater is better because he may not be the answer but you know he's not the answer he's just a bridge, so you won't be tempted to change your plans to replace him.
Honestly, they'd be better off fixing the OL before they do anything drastic at QB. I would focus all energy on getting that OL solidified and it'll make any future moves they make that much more effective.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
I’m fine with Darnold.

He’s still young and has talent. You just have to remove the stink of the Jets. Here, he’ll have coaching, weapons, and protection (assuming they address the O line in the draft), three things he didn’t have in NY.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Honestly, they'd be better off fixing the OL before they do anything drastic at QB. I would focus all energy on getting that OL solidified and it'll make any future moves they make that much more effective.

I agree 100%. And you know that under the previous regimes, we'd just use the #8 pick to get yet another "hog mollie" defensive lineman.

My brother is a huge Jets fan and says the guy was supposed to be the savior of the franchise. So I'll guess we get to see what he can do with a decent team around him.

I'm just glad we didn't trade McCafferty and the next like 5 1st round picks for the guy down in Texas. I did expect them to trade up to draft a QB. This is a completely unexpected move though, maybe we have a crafty GM on our hands finally.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
I love this move. SF moving into 3rd meant another QB was definitely going to be off the board before the Panthers picked. Pick Sewell and solidify the O line or if one of the preferred QB's happens to fall, then they can draft or trade down if somebody is crazy. It gives them some options. Darnold didn't work out with the Jets but damn, nobody would.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

I'm still waiting on someone to put 10 linemen out there and run the old Nebraska offense. f*** a damn quarterback.

Reactions: Tryamw

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Steeper price than I wanted to pay but he's a worthy flyer. The kid has a hell of an arm. Can Brady and company coach him up though? This doesn't preclude us from taking a QB at 8 at all, if Fields or Lance is there and we like one of them Darnold won't affect that decision one bit. It's a decent reclamation project as a backup plan in case the top 4 QBs go in the top 4 and the price to trade up is too steep (as evidenced by what the Niners gave up...).

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Good move, I'm a fan. I think he's definitely worth a flyer and this was the best move they could have made after striking out on Stafford/Watson. They really couldn't afford to just do nothing while hoping a QB falls to 8, which likely would have led to another year of Bridgewater. I get wanting to avoid QB purgatory but unless you think they were actually going to tank this season (they weren't), then you should take a chance this staff can make something of Darnold.

The 49ers upended everything paying that high of a price to get up to the top 3, and with the Falcons holding the 4th overall pick, the Panthers were effectively locked out of the top 4 QB options. It probably means the Panthers weren't in love with any of the QBs after Lawrence and Wilson. If for whatever reason Fields or Lance fell to 8, I would be happy to still take one of them or even trade the pick away to a team like the Patriots and get some additional picks to continue building. Otherwise I think you gladly take whichever of Sewell or Slater is still available and call it a day. Build the o-line, solidify the defense and things are looking pretty solid.

If nothing else this will be a really interesting experiment. Darnold is still pretty young and it's not often you see a QB picked that high and be moved at that age. Rhule really sold himself on his and his staff's ability to coach up and get the most out of talented players. Should be a great test of what a change of scenery can really do for a guy and just how damaging that Gase/Jets factor has been the past couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad