GDT: Carolina Panthers part 2: Is Darnold good or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Cam wasn’t putting fear in anyone the last couple of years.
So they go and bring in Teddy Bridgewater who needed the best offensive support cast in the NFL (which he'll have the opposite of in Carolina outside of McCaffrey) to look even somewhat decent? A guy whose best season is like 14 TDs and 3200 yards... Cam on one leg might quite literally just as good if not better than the guy replacing him.

The Panthers are looking at more 6-10, 7-9 seasons at best now. They'll have one of the worst defenses, maybe historically bad. They'll have mediocre QBs and WRs and a terribad OL. Then there's McCaffrey who they're going to have to run into the ground (again).

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
So they go and bring in Teddy Bridgewater who needed the best offensive support cast in the NFL (which he'll have the opposite of in Carolina outside of McCaffrey) to look even somewhat decent? A guy whose best season is like 14 TDs and 3200 yards... Cam on one leg might quite literally just as good if not better than the guy replacing him.

The Panthers are looking at more 6-10, 7-9 seasons at best now. They'll have one of the worst defenses, maybe historically bad. They'll have mediocre QBs and WRs and a terribad OL. Then there's McCaffrey who they're going to have to run into the ground (again).
Cam was turning into a distraction more than a football player. Bridgewater may not be better as a player but he will be better off the field.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Thing is though why are you bringing in Bridgewater for? If you're going to be awful for Lawrence, be god awful and let the QB's you have already on the roster stink it up. Don't be like the Hurricanes where you're not bad enough for an impact player but also not good enough to be a playoff team. Somehow we've managed to become the dumpster fire of the NFC and I hate it.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
So they go and bring in Teddy Bridgewater who needed the best offensive support cast in the NFL (which he'll have the opposite of in Carolina outside of McCaffrey) to look even somewhat decent?

To be fair, the Saints offense was far from the best in the NFL. It was mostly just Mike Thomas and half of Alvin Kamara, and a decent but not amazing offensive line. Just for context.

But yeah, I kinda don't get it. A guy like Teddy would probably be a great fit for the Bears. But the Panthers right now needed to either commit to a rebuild or find a QB that could be more than a game manager. It's kind of an odd choice.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If you get Vonn Bell, take care of him. Gonna miss that dude. We are making a gigantic mistake letting him walk.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I'm glad that even in this time of absolutely no sports, there are still ridiculous and awful sports takes to bring us together.
I guess you missed the last 5 years of press conferences with Cam Newton. From his run in with female reporter to his fantastic fashion displays. The guy brought more attention in the post game then he did on the field.

but I’ll take the awful take rap. It worked well when I got the same title about dumping skinner for nothing.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
To be fair, the Saints offense was far from the best in the NFL. It was mostly just Mike Thomas and half of Alvin Kamara, and a decent but not amazing offensive line. Just for context.

But yeah, I kinda don't get it. A guy like Teddy would probably be a great fit for the Bears. But the Panthers right now needed to either commit to a rebuild or find a QB that could be more than a game manager. It's kind of an odd choice.
Mike Thomas is arguably the best WR in the league right now, Kamara is probably a top 5 all purpose back, and the OL is top 10 OL when healthy. Payton is one of the best coaches in the game.

I like we now have Brady who worked for him and I was a fan of the Rhule hire, I'm just not sure what they're doing spending 20 million on a guy like Bridgewater when literally all we have are a handful of good NFL players on the roster going into next year.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I guess you missed the last 5 years of press conferences with Cam Newton. From his run in with female reporter to his fantastic fashion displays. The guy brought more attention in the post game then he did on the field.

but I’ll take the awful take rap. It worked well when I got the same title about dumping skinner for nothing.

I'm sorry, did Jeff Skinner ever take the Carolina Hurricanes to the playoffs, ever? Seems to me that Cam Newton took the Panthers to a Super Bowl.

Pretty sure there's zero similarity between Cam Newton and Jeff Skinner except in your imagination.

Also: swag is not a crime. Or maybe you think that the Canes are a bunch of jerks for their antics! Terrible role models! Such distractions!

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Mike Thomas is arguably the best WR in the league right now, Kamara is probably a top 5 all purpose back, and the OL is top 10 OL when healthy. Payton is one of the best coaches in the game.

Sure, but Kamara was playing on one leg basically the whole year, the OL was rarely ever healthy, and they had zero depth at receiver. When your 3rd-string QB is also your #2 WR and your #2 TE, you have issues. LOL

PS yall can have Ted Ginn back now. please?

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I'm sorry, did Jeff Skinner ever take the Carolina Hurricanes to the playoffs, ever? Seems to me that Cam Newton took the Panthers to a Super Bowl.

Pretty sure there's zero similarity between Cam Newton and Jeff Skinner except in your imagination.

Also: swag is not a crime. Or maybe you think that the Canes are a bunch of jerks for their antics! Terrible role models! Such distractions!
Swag :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I’ll be interested to see the level of interest in Cam Newton. So far .... doesn’t appear to be much. Unless the Panthers are holding out for something big. Which would be silly.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Panthers are not going to have the upper hand on trading Newton. Everyone knows it now and the way Cam himself responded to that tweet made this situation all the more worse trade-value wise. Now they pretty much have to take whatever is offered to them. Not a smart decision by the front office.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Panthers are not going to have the upper hand on trading Newton. Everyone knows it now and the way Cam himself responded to that tweet made this situation all the more worse trade-value wise. Now they pretty much have to take whatever is offered to them. Not a smart decision by the front office.
That + injury concerns + attitude/confidence issues + being pretty average as a QB overall (great athletic ability and can run but doesn't have the strong decision making ability to use it)

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
as far as bridgewater goes, there's reason to believe he's for real. if he was an asset under control, the saints could have gotten a preposterously high value for him. the landscape of the nfl is changing and we are seeing a lot of teams (including both super bowl teams in a copycat league) run direct or modified versions of the west coast offense and that plays strongly into bridgewater's strengths, as we saw last season with the saints. what he put on tape there was a blueprint for every interested party to see how he would look in a competent offense that was built to his strengths. the reason he was even with the saints is because of how appropriate he would look in a brees offense in a scenario exactly like what went down. his ability to mimic brees with the scout team and absorb nuance from him will shape his career moving forward from what were essentially two years of redshirting. i think the original plan was unofficially to groom bridgewater to take the reigns for the saints, but the immortality of drew brees saw otherwise. the new school analytics heavy vibe that this new coaching staff is presenting paired with this signing seems to suggest they're going in the exact opposite direction from cam newton in the sense that they wanted a pinpoint accurate passer in the short game that would utilize his checkdowns and move the ball methodically down the field with short drops and getting the ball out before the line has time to fail. cam was never incredibly accurate in the short game and always seemed to favor his intermediate targets until his shoulder issues and norv turner dictated otherwise. that's how a sub 60% passer suddenly turned into a 68% percent passer in cam's last healthy season, but it robbed the offense of big plays because we didn't have the personnel to do it correctly. bridgewater was consistently under duress with the vikings and it manifests in his sack totals. he was a 22-23 year old quarterback playing in the same backfield as the best runningback of his generation and every defense run blitzed the pure hell out of him. they also used peterson in the redzone a preposterous amount because duh, which suppressed bridgewater's touchdown totals. the numbers don't tell the full story, but the efficiency in his completion percentage under all that blitzing is a little eyebrow raising in a positive way.

the term game manager is no longer a stigma, but more closely representative of what the ask is for a modern quarterback. be a strong decision maker and we will give you more speed than you can comprehend on the field at the same time. find the open one. get the ball to the athletes and let them be athletic. the fact that we have the best dual threat rb in the league is an interesting wrinkle. we restructured the line by adding okung at tackle, which was perhaps our biggest weakness last season. the cost of trai turner is tolerable because of the stylistic changes. this isn't going to be 3 yards and a cloud of dust, punch you in the mouth type of run fixated offense we saw under rivera. expect lots of moving parts, misdirection, 5 yard runs, and 6 yard passes. the narrative may be that this is a lame duck season, but counting out bridgewater would be nuts. everyone you hear talk about him says his teammates would put it on the line for him and that he's a natural leader. if there's any residual stagnation from this past season, he can probably sort it out. as for the defense, we don't talk about the defense. we have to keep them off the field.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad