Rumor: Carolina looking to trade G Anton Forsberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Probably a cap dump for Forsberg.
That makes no sense. Why would Carolina take a cap dump for him? He makes $700k. They could just waive him and EDM will probably claim him back. If nobody claims him, he’ll go to the AHL.

unless by cap dump, mean another player at a different position that Carolina needs in the AHL that has a $700k contract. That might make sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I thought when you pick a player up on waivers you can't trade them for like a year(or at least till season's end). If Carolina wants to get rid of him isn't their only option to give him back to Oilers first(assuming they accept)
You can trade them during that year but you have to offer the player to any team that also put a claim in for the player first. After the year, you can do what you want. Presumably no other team put a claim in for Forsberg so the Canes are free to do what they want.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
You can trade them during that year but you have to offer the player to any team that also put a claim in for the player first. After the year, you can do what you want. Presumably no other team put a claim in for Forsberg so the Canes are free to do what they want.
I thought you could trade them if they weren't picked up by anyone who filed a waiver claim back when they first went through.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I thought you could trade them if they weren't picked up by anyone who filed a waiver claim back when they first went through.
You can trade them if no other team that put in an original waiver claim wants the player as a waiver claim, yes.

Say if Carolina and Boston both put in a claim for Forsberg (ill use Boston because they ended last year with more points and would be lower on the waiver list).

Carolina couldnt trade Forsberg to any team, not named Boston, until first offering him to Boston as a waiver claim. If Boston says yes then Forsberg would go to Boston as a waiver claim, if they said no then Carolina is free to trade him to any other team.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don't see the play here for Carolina aside from putting him back on waivers and Edmonton taking him back.

The must've been the only team to put a waiver claim on him, as they wouldn't be able to trade him otherwise. If a team didn't put in a waiver claim for him a couple days ago, why would they want to trade for him now?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
My guess he will go back on waivers. He is on the canes active roster. Oilers have 2 players on their 23 man roster who cleared waivers 2 days ago. Because they cleared they can get tossed on the taxi squad

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
You can trade them if no other team that put in an original waiver claim wants the player as a waiver claim, yes.

Say if Carolina and Boston both put in a claim for Forsberg (ill use Boston because they ended last year with more points and would be lower on the waiver list).

Carolina couldnt trade Forsberg to any team, not named Boston, until first offering him to Boston as a waiver claim. If Boston says yes then Forsberg would go to Boston as a waiver claim, if they said no then Carolina is free to trade him to any other team.
Great - thanks!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't see the play here for Carolina aside from putting him back on waivers and Edmonton taking him back.

The must've been the only team to put a waiver claim on him, as they wouldn't be able to trade him otherwise. If a team didn't put in a waiver claim for him a couple days ago, why would they want to trade for him now?
This is probably something as simple as once Nedeljkovic cleared waivers, Waddell reached out to other GMs and just said “We are going to waive him in a few days so if any other team wants him, let me know.” They know he doesn’t have much value

DakrSnooze

Aug 27, 2011
Whitehorse
I'm assuming he will be part of the Oilers organization again shortly. Canes got what they wanted with Ned clearing waivers and, unless they have some personal vendetta against Forsberg (lol), there's no reason not to waive him and screw with the guys career.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Clarification: Carolina could not trade Forsberg to Boston in this scenario without first being declined by Boston to take Forsberg for the waiver fee.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

A lot of teams were manipulating their rosters for the start of the season, having a 3rd goaltender might not have fit into that short term plan. Now that the season has started and all the LTIR is in effect teams might have more room or willingness to run 3 goaltenders on the main roster.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Clarification: Carolina could not trade Forsberg to Boston in this scenario without first being declined by Boston to take Forsberg for the waiver fee.
right. The Canes werent trading Forsberg to Boston in that scenario

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Seems like this would damage your GM rep on NHL21!

Although I suppose if he is waived again and we grab him, doesn't that mean we can move him back and forth at will for 30 days?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Nice for Forsberg he doesn't have to ride around in taxi and can chill in Edmenton and get paid.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Seems like this would damage your GM rep on NHL21!

Although I suppose if he is waived again and we grab him, doesn't that mean we can move him back and forth at will for 30 days?

That's correct. If Carolina puts him back on waivers and the Oilers are the only team that puts in a claim, it basically counts as clearing waivers and they can send him down or to the taxi squad.

The Canes and Red Wings did this with Martin Frk at the beginning of the 16/17 season. Carolina claimed him during the season opening waiver frenzy, then put him back on waivers 3 weeks later where Detroit was the only team that put in a claim and subsequently sent him to GR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad