Post-Series Talk: Carolina Hurricanes defeat the New York Islanders, 4-1

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Feels as if Carolina gets every break and every call in these 3 series since 2019 and have not been the obviously better team in any of them...Isles likely win this game if not for that absurd bounce that led to the 4th goal, don't really think the 5th goal mattered as I find it hard to believe they come back once down a goal
You mean the bounce that led to the 5th goal?

Isles were down 4-3 at that point, I think it's much more likely that the Hurricanes win from there than the Isles.

The Hurricanes were the better team, plain and simple. It might be easier to just accept that.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
You mean the bounce that led to the 5th goal?

Isles were down 4-3 at that point, I think it's much more likely that the Hurricanes win from there than the Isles.

The 4th goal was a remarkably unfortunate sequence the way the puck bounced as well

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I don’t ever want to play the Canes in the playoffs ever again. When in history as an island ever done well against a hurricane?

I said I'd just purposely lose games next year the final week to avoid playing them if needed

• Haha
Reactions: SI90

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The 4th goal was a remarkably unfortunate sequence the way the puck bounced as well
And Freddie tripped over himself and absolutely gifted you the tying goal. And the Isles drew multiple calls in the series from dives where the Cane didn't even make contact.

The Isles played a hell of a series considering the talent disparity, but c'mon. The Canes had 15 more points in the standings for a reason.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Isles are dirty as hell. 2nd year in a row they break the arm or hand of a Canes player with a slash. Of course, neither time it was called.

But please tell us again how awful the Canes are for reacting to these slashes, bunch of putzes

This is largely why NYR went balls to the wall in those last few games, they wanted no part of the Isles who were a much greater physical threat than the Caps/Pens were.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
For the uninitiated, yes, that series with all of the epic collapses, weak goaltending, 2 goals in 8 seconds etc. occured all regular season for the Islanders. A miracle they even made the playoffs starting this season with Lambert as coach. Roy is a good start, but a massive re-tool is needed on the Island.
First step should be Houda and Johnny Mac being thanked for their service and shown the exit

Reactions: NYI365

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Isles are dirty as hell. 2nd year in a row they break the arm or hand of a Canes player with a slash. Of course, neither time it was called.

But please tell us again how awful the Canes are for reacting to these slashes, bunch of putzes

Maybe Rodert can urinate himself in a press conference about it.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This is largely why NYR went balls to the wall in those last few games, they wanted no part of the Isles who were a much greater physical threat than the Caps/Pens were.
I think it was more about winning the Presidents Trophy, might as well when you're that close.

I doubt it made much of a difference to them which of those teams they played.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
Canes do need to improve their PK next series vs the Rangers. It was surprisingly bad.

Washington lost because they couldn't score on the PP.

I doubt that will be a problem for the Canes vs the Rags since their PP is still clicking so the Rangers need to cut down on their penalties next round.

Someone mentioned that the Canes and Rangers series will come down to special teams. Rangers seem to live or die by it and the Canes thrive more on 5 on 5 but like I mentioned their PP is clicking as well and from past playoffs our special teams has been our downfall.

It's good to see our PP clicking.

Each team was in the top 5 in both categories in the regular season.

First team to break the shield of the PK's will win the series.

Looking forward to game 1.

I don't expect any blowouts this series. The season series was tight minus that one game when Carolina erupted in MSG.

May the best team win.

Reactions: Tofveve

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Feels as if Carolina gets every break and every call in these 3 series since 2019 and have not been the obviously better team in any of them...Isles likely win this game if not for that absurd bounce that led to the 4th goal, don't really think the 5th goal mattered as I find it hard to believe they come back once down a goal
Another bmok33 gem

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Islanders, especially one removes fighting penalties w/o instigators from the mix, have been consistently bottom of the PIM list for a very long time now. So people can keep saying that, and they can keep on saying it despite the evidence. I didn't see the second slash you are noting (the one on TT last year was a pretty unfortunate result of it happening during a shot follow through). But one alternate hypothesis, that perhaps the Canes should look at their player's choices of gloves, rather than the Islanders being especially dirty, is just as reasonable.

The only player I've seen the Islanders deliberately attempt to take shots on in the playoffs was Kucherov. And that mf completely deserves every bit of a Scott Mayfield crosscheck.

From an Islanders point of view, the absolute only chance they had was to dominate the goaltending matchup, and they didn't, Varlamov was pretty good, but not extraordinary. Sorokin, in his little time, was awful. Andersen was, for the most part, competent. Pretty good (& awful for 2 periods) vs competent in context of the domination of the puck by Carolina was not close to being good enough to give NYI a chance.

imo Barzal was great, and showed us again and again that his goal scoring is not limited by his unwillingness to shoot, but that his unwillingness to shoot was actually a reasonable choice based on his teammates being better at shooting. What's improved about his game, all year long, is that he's starting to grow into the defensive player he always had the talent to become.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I said I'd just purposely lose games next year the final week to avoid playing them if needed

lol

No offense, but I don't think the current Islanders are the type of team that will ever be in a position where they can "afford to lose games on purpose in the final week" while still making the playoffs.

You might make the playoffs again next year but odds are you do so as a wildcard fighting tooth and nail until end of season to qualify.

As a neutral fan outsider - I was kind of shocked to see Sorokin benched in this series. I've always like Varlamov, and think he mostly did well in this round - but still, people around the league have been calling Sorokin a top ~3 goalie in the league for a couple of years now. Kind of shocking to see him not get the starts. I know he played bad the one game, but still. For Islanders to win this series, you'd have needed your goalie to steal a couple of games at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad