Carolina Hurricanes 2017 Draft 5 year review (my first draft)

albertascout

Apr 8, 2012
I really enjoyed Jeff's 5 year review so I thought I would do one as well. This is a mighty blow to the ego once I saw how my first draft went.

1.18 Lias Andersen BUST
My reasoning for taking this player was I was picking someone who was dropping during our draft. Lias wound up going 7th overall during the NHL draft so I was over the moon. His skating became a huge issue. He should have stayed in the SHL to develop. With the high draft position the Rangers tried to get him to play sooner wh
ich was a mistake.

2.48 Max Gildon DEVELOPING
This guy had great size and finished college well. He improved every year. He did very well in his first year of AHL but he needs to do more. He may get a chance with Florida's cash crunch forcing them to bring in rookies with the minimum salary. Still hope but as a 6/7 defender.

2.49 Ivan Lodnia BUST
Ivan was picked based on where he was ranked. I need to do more research. Ivan is playing for the Iowa Wild so he may get time with the big club but I do not see that happening.

3.76 Mason Shaw BUST
Mason was picked frim his high scoring ignoring his size. He is also playing with the Iowa Wild but he should have a better chance of playing with the big club as a 13th forward. Mason had some major injuries which has slowed his development.

3.80 David Farrance DEVELOPING
David was a right hand shot Dman for the USDP. HE went to a great college and improved greatly. He should have left after his junior year as he reached his peak in the US college system. If he left earlier he would be in a far better position with his NHL squad. He is in the AHL getting better and learning to play defence. I have hope for him still.

5.142 Austen Keating NUCLEAR BUST
Austen was never drafted. I suck and the pGPS system wronged me.

6.162 Ryan Hughes
Ryan was never drafted. I suck.

7.204 Marcus Sylvergard
I do not think any 6th or 7th round pick can ever "BUST" the odds are too long. but He was also never drafted. Please shoot the pGPS draft system into the sun.

The draft review for 2018 will be a much happier occasion.

Darryl

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I was never a big Andersson fan, but I'm surprised he's struggling to badly to stick in the league. He always seemed like a high floor guy.

I'm also surprised Farrance's transition to the pros has been so difficult. I watched a lot of him in his draft year and since, and he's definitely a somewhat confusing player - lots of tools, no toolbox types, to lean on an old school expression. But I thought after his junior year he'd walk right in to the NHL.

Reactions: albertascout

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad