GDT: Carolina Fish Fry: Islanders @/on/below(?) Carolina

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
5v5 scoring for forwards this year:

Aho 35 points (only 2 secondary assists)
Necas 35 points (only 3 secondary assists)
Svech 33 points (6 secondary assists - 64 games played)
Martinook: 29 points (5 secondary assists)
Staal: 29 points (10 secondary assists)
KK: 25 points (12 secondary assists)
Jarvis: 23 points (5 secondary assists)
Fast: 22 points (9 secondary assists)
TT: 19 points (4 secondary assists)

PP scoring this year:
Necas: 25
Svech: 16
Aho: 15
Noesen: 14
TT: 11
KK: 10
Stastny: 4
Jarvis: 4

So Jordan Martinook is our 4th best forward scorer 5v5 this year and Noesen is our 4th best forward PP scorer the year. Who would have predicted that? And if you did predict that, would you have predicted this was a 100+ point team this season?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
f***sake dude. First of all, Joe said top six guys, so you're already taking the goalposts for a running start. Svech was on pace for a 70 point season before his knee died, and that was with a 2 month goal drought. Patches was mostly dead all season, but when he was slightly alive he managed 3 goals in 5 games. The past several seasons he was hovering around a point per game. I think it's fair to call him a first line winger. Turbo has had an admittedly shit year, and is only on pace for 47 points over a full season, but if you look at his body of work over the last half decade, he still averages 67 points per 82 games, which is decent production for a top six forward which, reminder, was the claim you originally responded to.
Angry much? Jesus

Svech was stapled to the 2nd line this year. Turbo has been routinely discussed as having a pretty terrible season on his own standards, to the point where he's been demoted at times to 4th line minutes. Aho's real only consistency this year was having undersized Jarvis attached to his hip and now Martinook backfilling him once he's been demoted.

And even if you want to assume Patches and Svech come back next year, neither are likely to join the team until the calendar flips to 2024. My point still stands, we need to bring in someone with the explicit purpose of playing alongside Aho and helping him out. He deserves it.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I always wondered what trying to compete while around the cap floor looks likes. They’re effectively doing that with Teravainen out. The depth issues are in full view. How does Minnesota do this full time?
Do we really have depth issues? We're winning games without Svech, Patches and now Turbo and we had plenty of games earlier in the year too where other guys were hurt. Any team that has the injury luck we've had this season would struggle, likely significantly more than we have.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Do we really have depth issues? We're winning games without Svech, Patches and now Turbo and we had plenty of games earlier in the year too where other guys were hurt. Any team that has the injury luck we've had this season would struggle, likely significantly more than we have.
We have depth issues now for sure, since we're now relying on quality minutes from players that were supposed to be our depth players.

But that's what they're here for, and those guys are performing.

The more injuries we incur, the worse our chances will be. I'm honestly impressed at how well these guys are still playing, but we're on the edge.

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
We have depth issues now for sure, since we're now relying on quality minutes from players that were supposed to be our depth players.

But that's what they're here for, and those guys are performing.

The more injuries we incur, the worse our chances will be. I'm honestly impressed at how will these guys are still playing, but we're on the edge.
Prior to these last 2 games? Or just these last 2? I mean, Boston beat us missing like 5 of their top 6 guys using a bunch of AHLers, and we struggled to stay in games against DET & PHI. Obviously I missed these last 2 wins, but most of our 4-7-1 run prior we struggled at basic hockey for more than 5-10 min/night

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
A beautiful highlight reel GWG from noted sniper *checks notes* Martinook. In all seriousness, good job Marty.
Just goes to show how ludicrously talented even lower tier nhl players are. The worst guys in the league are still among to top several hundred people in the world at stockpucking.

I think my favorite goal all time (after the Svech lacrosse moves) is this absolute banger from noted dangler/sniper Patrick Dwyer.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
No every single team in the National would have "depth issues" with 3 top six guys missing. Tha fact they are absorbing those losses and still having a historical franchise season means they do not in fact have depth issues

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Yep the boys have literally dominated these last couple games just spending the whole time in the opponents zone.

They can still be dangerous if a goalie can find their game. Raanta has been the best this season but he seems more fragile than ever. His groin scares me. Anderson has been really sleepy out there and seems to lack focus. I recall a lot of seasons for the Leafs he started really slow then go into his groove later in the season. I'm hoping after missing 30 games early he can find his groove before it's too late. Does Kochetkov have some Cam Ward rookie magic in him?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Oh I know what you're saying, but I honestly don't know if Turbo, Svech, or Patches are/were legit 1st liners this year. 2nd liners, absolutely, but I dunno how many would be legit 1st liners on most other teams.
Svech definitely was at least. Turbo has been off his game most of the year. Patches, well he looked the part, but...

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Half the board is worried that they play too hard and have nothing left for the playoffs. The team takes their foot off the gas a little and the other half the board is worried about not playing well enough or hard enough heading into the playoffs.

From the start of the season until that 4-7-1 stretch, Aho was playing 19:29 a night and Necas 18:34. Since the Svech injury, Aho is down to 18:51 and Necas is down to 17:34. The defensemen have all had their TOI cut as well by about a min per game. Not a huge amount, but a 2-3 less shifts / game.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Prior to these last 2 games? Or just these last 2? I mean, Boston beat us missing like 5 of their top 6 guys using a bunch of AHLers, and we struggled to stay in games against DET & PHI. Obviously I missed these last 2 wins, but most of our 4-7-1 run prior we struggled at basic hockey for more than 5-10 min/night
Boston is great no matter what. We lost to them in a shootout and we probably could have beat them if our goalie didn't let in some bad goals. There is no shame in losing to Boston, especially in a shootout. I don't think the Canes struggled to stay in the games against Detroit and Philly at all. We played the teams pretty even overall. Sure it's disappointing we lost to Detroit, but it's because they threw up a prayer from just inside the blueline and it looked like Andersen wasn't 100% dialed in and was screened by Necas.

I don't think the team has been incredibly inspiring lately, but they've been in pretty much every game except the Tampa one where Kochetkov was awful.

I think the Canes are playing at 90% speed right now, and even if we lay a total dud I don't think you can put too much stock in it. The biggest concern to me is the goaltending, as we have only gotten a handful of great starts from our goalies since December and most of those were from Rantaa. As much as we've been doom and gloom around these parts, the Devils have been even worse.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Update, motherf***ers won the motherf***er

Man De Haan looks checked out in the back. Feel bad he's not getting any games, he had a pretty solid season in my opinion on the 3rd pair. Unfortunately Ghost is a step up tho.

He had to know upon signing that this would be a possibility. I mean yeah he's a solid depth piece but no one was lining up for his services until Waddell came calling in September.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013

Man De Haan looks checked out in the back. Feel bad he's not getting any games, he had a pretty solid season in my opinion on the 3rd pair. Unfortunately Ghost is a step up tho.

He kinda determined his fate when he decided to go new boot goofin’ those couple of games and turned towards the net while under pressure.

• Haha
Reactions: ndp and Stickpucker

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Just goes to show how ludicrously talented even lower tier nhl players are. The worst guys in the league are still among to top several hundred people in the world at stockpucking.

I think my favorite goal all time (after the Svech lacrosse moves) is this absolute banger from noted dangler/sniper Patrick Dwyer.

The only thing I got out of that clip is that Carolina was outshooting them 33-18 late in the second period, but the score was 4-0 Buffalo.

Classic Hurricanes.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I couldn't disagree more. De Haan season was below replacement level. He is slooooooooowwww in foot speed and in decision making, both of which cost us goals against. Ghost is better in every respect; too bad he will cost too much to keep next season.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Half the board is worried that they play too hard and have nothing left for the playoffs. The team takes their foot off the gas a little and the other half the board is worried about not playing well enough or hard enough heading into the playoffs.

From the start of the season until that 4-7-1 stretch, Aho was playing 19:29 a night and Necas 18:34. Since the Svech injury, Aho is down to 18:51 and Necas is down to 17:34. The defensemen have all had their TOI cut as well by about a min per game. Not a huge amount, but a 2-3 less shifts / game.
Facts... we don't need them. I got feelings. And that's all that matters

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
goals from dmen have saved this team IMO. Lots of 5v5 goals from dmen as well. Not just PP. Huge factor in success to date. Not sure it was planned or benefits us playoff time, but it's a pretty strong (and interesting) stat line.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
goals from dmen have saved this team IMO. Lots of 5v5 goals from dmen as well. Not just PP. Huge factor in success to date. Not sure it was planned or benefits us playoff time, but it's a pretty strong (and interesting) stat line.

To your point, Skjei is at 17 for the year which is pretty damn good and not many people are talking about not on this board.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
It's a natural byproduct of the system, in which defensemen are encouraged to jump into the play and forwards are expected to cover. That's why it's so critical that every forward plays a two way game.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
To your point, Skjei is at 17 for the year which is pretty damn good and not many people are talking about not on this board.
Of course they aren’t. They we’re laughing all the way to the bank when the Rangers got a first for him. Talking about how good of a season he would have on a small market team would be sacrilegious and admitting being wrong. Now if it was in reverse, there would be non stop posts about how smart the big market team was and how awesome Skjei is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad