GDT: carmin

Rick Davis

Dec 31, 2020
Great game but Talbot was the difference. Continue to be impressed with the comeback ability of this team….would not have happened during the recent lost decade….

Reactions: Tryamw

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Bummer, but I think it was a fairly fun, even game other than stupid turnovers. Even then, some great shots and plays by Minny. These stretches do happen in the regular season sometimes.

Reactions: AD Skinner

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Well, I’ll get the crabbing out of the way up front. NHL didn’t do us any favors for us with four straight on the road hopscotching north for a back to back and then south and finally West. I haven’t scanned the schedules but Canes have one of the worst if not the worst re-start schedules this past week. Shame of it is we could have played the Toronto game earlier…oh well.

Having said that, I actually look at the trip positively. Toronto was a toss up score wise but we outplayed them and in a playoff game we have a good shot of winning. Ottawa was a trap game but our third period was superb. Boston, the team just hates them and Canes put great effort to win.

Then, tonight (coming after a big effort game). We had many great chances to tie & win and against a really good team on the road with a hot goaltender you just don’t win them all. Toronto and Minny are SC contenders and you couldn’t ask for closer road games from us. We will win some of them in the playoffs and then hold serve at home to win series.

Player wise, it’s really encouraging that Tro has stepped up his play and a Svetch is playing like a superstar. My worries are 22, 24 (play has slipped) and most importantly 11 (sorry Tripp, a one off tipped goal is not wowing me and he is just brutally bad this year). We probably need to solidify D & I also would like Lorentz to remain in the lineup.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
They need to clean up the defensive zone exits. Seems like they are happy just chipping it out of the zone instead of being more composed and making a pass.

Well, in the case of last night, that was due to a combination of a very strong forecheck from the Wild, as well as some lack of urgency from the Canes. The opportunities for clean breakouts we're there, but far too often, the puck handler was reacting a second or two too slow.

Honestly, that probably applied to all aspects of last night's game. Just a few seconds behind every play.

Reactions: Tryamw

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Well, in the case of last night, that was due to a combination of a very strong forecheck from the Wild, as well as some lack of urgency from the Canes. The opportunities for clean breakouts we're there, but far too often, the puck handler was reacting a second or two too slow.

Honestly, that probably applied to all aspects of last night's game. Just a few seconds behind every play.
4th game on a compressed travel-heavy road trip will often cause that.

let’s see how Wild play in Raleigh before we get too concerned.

Reactions: DaveG

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
My biggest issue is the over playing of the first and second pair. Me thinks that this is not helping but hurting especially when Pesce and Brady get all bottled up and can't get the puck out. Roll the dang 3 pairs and quit jumping from the second to the first pair. I know rod as done a good job but I don't think the handling of the defense has been perfect.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
My biggest issue is the over playing of the first and second pair. Me thinks that this is not helping but hurting especially when Pesce and Brady get all bottled up and can't get the puck out. Roll the dang 3 pairs and quit jumping from the second to the first pair. I know rod as done a good job but I don't think the handling of the defense has been perfect.
Our defense has been pretty shaky at exiting their own zone all year if my "eye test" is accurate. And while we need more than two pairs, our third pair as been noticeably bad in my opinion, so I get why we have done what we've done.

Reactions: Daeavorn

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Our defense has been pretty shaky at exiting their own zone all year if my "eye test" is accurate. And while we need more than two pairs, our third pair as been noticeably bad in my opinion, so I get why we have done what we've done.
Pretty sure the third pair has been very good at even strength, maybe better than the second pair and some fancy stats somewhere may back that up. I am just not sure. As far as my eye test goes the second pair gets hemmed in for some lengthy periods of time.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
Is it fair to say now that this year did the step from being a very good player to a Star Player. I mean i still see Aho up Front but only by a little margin and Svech is coming... And like rindy said... He Sees another step in his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad