GDT: CARMIN

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
He managed this game perfectly getting lots of stops and whistles. Ugly to watch but it's what he had to do.

still can't believe we won that, that was the worst game we've played this season IMO

The Wild have actually been sneaky good this month after being godawful in October. This was a quality win, they are actually no Ottawa-style pushover.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
The Wild have actually been sneaky good this month after being godawful in October. This was a quality win, they are actually no Ottawa-style pushover.

Yeah, I think we need to can it with the "ugly win" stuff. We're not the Harlem Globetrotters. There are no automatic wins in this league. Winning in Buffalo and Minnesota is not easy. And winning in Chicago won't be easy either. We've got four points in the first two games of a three-game road trip. That's really good.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, I think we need to can it with the "ugly win" stuff. We're not the Harlem Globetrotters. There are no automatic wins in this league. Winning in Buffalo and Minnesota is not easy. And winning in Chicago won't be easy either. We've got four points in the first two games of a three-game road trip. That's really good.
I agree. I get being critical, but I think we may be hyper critical sometimes now that we have expectations again. There are no gimmes and two points is two points.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

The fan base takes the attitude of the head coach who basically just said this was an ugly win they didn’t deserve. We are all Rod Brind’amour, which makes us a real pain in the ass to deal with.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
First requirement for a proper debate is to define the terms. I don't agree with you, however, we are likely both thinking of "ugly win" differently. I see it as, we were outplayed. Our goalie made very good saves AND we got quite a few fortunate bounces. We gave up two leads on the road, yet we won. That = ugly win.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
RE: "ugly win", hockey is a game where a team can objectively play worse than their opponent and still lose the game. As is the nature of any game where the opportunity to collect victory conditions is limited in both number and by chance (compared to basketball, where the number of scoring chances is virtually identical to the number of possessions).

OTOH, over a large sample size the difference between the good and the bad teams becomes apparent: good teams can win games while getting outplayed, while bad teams are the inverse (aka the Bill Peters Corsi Express circa 2015). They're getting points while getting outplayed. We know it could easily be the other way around, and we've also seen what this team looks like when they're clicking- this ain't it. They still have plenty of time to put it together, and I lack no conviction that they will. It's great they're still on a 100 point pace while doing it.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think that there are a tier of teams that are truly awful and then there's the rest of the league, where the talent differences are quite marginal between the underachievers, the overachievers, and the elite. Ottawa, Detroit, Los Angeles, and non-McDrai Edmonton are on one side of that bubble, but I truly don't believe that Minnesota is in that category. They have some good players, especially on defense.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That's the 2nd win in a row at Xcel Energy Center, a place that before last season this franchise I believe had just 1 win in.

As far as blowing leads, yeah it sucks but figuring out how to win after doing so is something we never saw under Peters and Muller, and Maurice too minus the 2009 season when he took over halfway. I'd love for more regulation wins but having this team learn to finish the job in OT is also valuable, especially for guys like Necas and Svech.

But hey a win is a win and lets keep the ball rolling into Chicago.

And, this can't be right. Eric Staal had zero points today. Knowing this team like I do that can't be right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad