GDT: CARMIN

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That's why I said "largely attributable" about the HD chance difference. I'm sure some is rebound chances. I am also confident there are times where the only save opportunity results in a juicy rebound in front.

I don't think Reimer is giving up 4 more HD rebounds per game (that are then shot back on goal) than Mrazek.

Looking at these numbers, it seems like the team is not playing well in front of Reimer. I don't think they are more aggressive per say, but they do seem sloppier in Reimer's games.

Aside: looking into low danger chances that turn into high danger rebounds sounds like the type of analytics project Tulsky would like to dig into with his team to ID problem goalies.

0-3 in 2nd half of back to back
3-1 otherwise.

it’s not voodoo.

Sounds like 2nd half of back to back and more rebounds (general observation and less of a factor) could explain the metrics to some extent.

Again, thanks for digging this up and posting.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
The solution is anything that works.

How many of those high danger chances that Reimer gives up are the result of juicy rebounds and/or weird plays that don't go the way the team expects? Does Ned have a playing style that's more similar to Mrazek, or less similar? Is it easier to change how 18 guys play in front of a backup goalie, or is it easier to change the goalie?

In any case: Reimer doesn't feel like a good fit. Everyone was saying "give him a chance, he played in front of a terrible defense last year, now he's playing in front of a good one." Okay, he's had a pretty decent sample size, and the results aren't that good. I'd like to see them take a chance on Ned, or Forsberg for that matter.

(Also, great analysis, thanks!)

Debatable.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Sounds like 2nd half of back to back and more rebounds (general observation and less of a factor) could explain the metrics to some extent.

Dug a little deeper, and NaturalStatTrick has a "Rebound attempts against / 60" under "Relative":

Reimer has 4.03 rebound attempts against / 60.
Mrazek has 2.9.

Reimer's rebound control contributes to one of the 4 extra HD shots against per game he sees over Mrazek.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

It's probably the combination that looks so bad. Tired teams look more ragged, in front of a scrambly goalie that gives up more rebounds. That makes a certain amount of sense.

Maybe they should consider giving Reimer the front ends of the B2Bs.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Another possible factor is Mrazek has a higher % of home starts vs. Reimer. Canes are 7-3 at home and 5-4-1 on the road.

Reimer: 2 home starts, 6 away starts; Mrazek: 8 home starts, 5 away starts

Sample size is still pretty small to draw any exact conclusions game to game (as Reimer lost both home games), just a general observation.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I don't really think either goalie has played that well, at least consistently. But I still like both better than the alternatives. Nedeljkovic's style seems like it would be a disaster in back-to-backs where the team is fatigued and not playing well, I certainly don't think he would perform much better than Reimer in the same situations. If Reimer doesn't improve and Ned improves his consistency, then I think we should start exploring Ned as the backup but there's still a lot of hockey to be played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad