GDT: CARLEAF

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Well, I'm a noob here lol--so I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually I'm tempted to make the drive down from DC again---but i'm SUPPOSED to be saving up money now b/c i already blew some on POTENTIAL (#nojinx) playoff tickets

On an unrelated note (which is apparently fine here lol)---I don't even want it to be Thurs in some sense. Because I'm just so happy after last night. i want to soak in this moment before my BP spikes dangerously tomorrow.

You must be a Finn. Own up, this is safe.

Reactions: Tryamw and zman77

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
It's more funny if both are running the same time.

Didn't have the keys anyways

It all boils down to laughing at the mixture of entitlement and paranoia up north in the end. Canes win gaem, Laffs lose gaem. 1-0?

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
I never questioned Hamilton's ability to score. I don't like him because he never learned how to play against the puck. He's employed as a defender and that has something to do with the word "defense". Hamilton may have good size but did you ever see him use it to his advantage? On the puck maybe...but not against it. He also has far too many brainfarts for my liking. If you wanna play 1st PP you better not fire shots at your own goalie...he did it on the PP and with a rookie in net. And that's just one of his mistakes. I haven't even started talking about all those suicide passes he made that led to goals against. Aho owned McDavid for two entire games but the only 5vs5 point he got vs the Canes came after a terrible giveaway by Hamilton who passed the puck directly to Puljujarvi at his own blueline and with no teammate even close. He has a dozen of those brainfarts every season and I'm beyond sick of his bs. Dude can't even concentrate with McDavid on the ice. As good as he can be offensively, something is seriously wrong with that guy. Burns is making lots of mistakes, too but mostly when he's over aggressive. Not the case for Hamilton...mostly pure stupidity there. It's sad because he would have the tools and the size to be an elite defenseman but he hasn't improved the slightest bit over the years. Frustrating to watch.
Glad to see your point is thought out and not just a post to incite.

I disagree with it however. Lining up Faulk's mishaps on D next to Dougie's? Not even close. It's actually pretty rare to hear Tripp or John call out any Dman other than Faulk. You'll hear a lot about the high forward losing his man or not getting on the right side of the forward driving the net, but you don't often hear, "Dougie has to be better than that. He was completely out of position." Or, "That was a terrible place to pinch by Dougie. You have to know when your forwards are trapped below the red line that you if you miss you're giving up a 2 v 1." But I hear/see that with Faulk allllllll the time.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Well they signed Sparks to a one-way deal ($750K, I believe) and have Woll down in the minors. Right now they continue in cap hell.

They allegedly have 19 player signed for $75.7 million which basically leaves them with $7 million (assumes the reported $83 million cap for next season). That number includes Horton's salary and Kessel's buyout. It doesn't include adding a defenseman, re-signing Marner, Johnsson, or Kapanen. And don't forget, Johnsson has arbitration rights. Despite all of the protestations on the main board, Toronto cannot retain those 3 forwards unless they move a piece or two out. Marner likely gets Matthews money, both Kapanen and Johnsson deserve at least $3 million. That's at least $17 million. That assumes that they go with the defense they are icing right now minus Gardiner plus Holl. This doesn't even consider the fact that Ozhiganov is an arbitration eligible RFA (should they want to go that route).

The Maple Leafs are going to look a bit different next season. But signing McElhinney isn't one of those changes.

I wasn't specifically referring to McElhinney, just a better backup than Sparks, but your point still stands.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Even his thought out reasons are pretty bad though. He has been blathering on about shooting against his own goalie from some incident months ago when guys accidentally score on their goalies all the time. He also has no idea how to give credit for all the amazing things Dougie brings to the table that more than offsets the minor warts he has in his game. His defense and physical play aren't anywhere near as bad as he's portraying it. He's a vastly superior dman to Faulk, and he's close to, if not better, Pesce.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
Well, I'm a noob here lol--so I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually I'm tempted to make the drive down from DC again---but i'm SUPPOSED to be saving up money now b/c i already blew some on POTENTIAL (#nojinx) playoff tickets

On an unrelated note (which is apparently fine here lol)---I don't even want it to be Thurs in some sense. Because I'm just so happy after last night. i want to soak in this moment before my BP spikes dangerously tomorrow.
Whiskey my friend. It will also raise your BP, but not from anxiety watching the game. You'll be chill

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I came here with the intention of posting a long, well thought-out, insightful comment about Dougie Hamilton. Then I read the past seven pages and said, **** it.

Here, let me do it for you..."....long, well thought-out, insightful comment about Dougie Hamilton..."

You're welcome.

I wasn't specifically referring to McElhinney, just a better backup than Sparks, but your point still stands.

Yup, it's all about the #DollaDollaDollaBill

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
20190403_154749.jpg

My playoff flags have been on my Jeep since we lost to the Jets 8 to 1.

I was getting some stares from Leafs fans this morning.

Screw them..... the Jerkmobile is rolling

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I dont even understand why Leafs fans would care about that game.

Because they are Leafs fans.
But...
Honestly, those people should know pain. There are franchises that have a sad history (Blue Jackets, Wild, Yotes, Panthers), but these are usually relatively new. Meanwhile Leafs are... living in the wrong decade of a wrong century.

Sharks at least have an advantage in the sense of not sucking for most of the time. Canucks and Sabres were *this* close.

I mean only team that comes close to the level of Maple Leafs sadness are Blues.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Even his thought out reasons are pretty bad though. He has been blathering on about shooting against his own goalie from some incident months ago when guys accidentally score on their goalies all the time. He also has no idea how to give credit for all the amazing things Dougie brings to the table that more than offsets the minor warts he has in his game. His defense and physical play aren't anywhere near as bad as he's portraying it. He's a vastly superior dman to Faulk, and he's close to, if not better, Pesce.

Whether it was an injury or just adjusting, Dougie's defensive game took a big leap halfway through the season. It wasn't a mistake he was demoted in the first half to the 3rd pair. And it's not a mistake he's back on the top pair playing 20+ a night now.

I don't think Hamilton is great defensively, but he's good enough with Slavin as a partner now, and certainly more than good enough when he's scoring at a 30 goal pace in 2019.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
While @Hinterland is too harsh on Hamilton, this is actually a worse point
He's a vastly superior dman to Faulk, and he's close to, if not better, Pesce.
Pesce is the best defensive d-man on the team. Even given Hamilton's goal scoring, Hamilton is not in the same tier as Pesce. Think about your opinion of Faulk and then realize that with Pesce as his partner they shut down Crosby, McDavid, Seguin, and kept Barkov off the score sheet at even strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad