Carl Söderberg, C, Linköpings HC, Elitserien, Sweden

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Ah the periodical Carl Soderberg threads. The short answer is, he's not coming over. All indications point to him being content in Sweden, and unless a team is willing to give him a nice one-way contract, I don't see him even considering coming over.

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
I've heard that Söderberg wants to play in the NHL next season. No joke. Not sure if there are any takers though!

Aptur

Sep 13, 2009
I've heard that Söderberg wants to play in the NHL next season. No joke. Not sure if there are any takers though!

Yeah, I think I've heard that as well, can't find the video now though. He has been great so far this season. He finally left his hometown team, it's a big step for him.

Rupert Giles

Sep 23, 2003
Sweden
Visit site
Wesley Wyndam-Pryce

If he had his mind set on playing in NA next season he wouldnt have knocked on Linkopings GM,s door and asked to sign for another 3 years to his one year deal.

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
Why not, with the current deal between the NHL and Eliteserien you can sign for a NHL tea as a FA even if you have a contract. Its nice to have a 3 year contract as a back-up.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I remember Bruins fans a while back calling him the Yeti. Great nickname. Yes, he's not coming over, not in anyone's wildest dreams.

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
If he had his mind set on playing in NA next season he wouldnt have knocked on Linkopings GM,s door and asked to sign for another 3 years to his one year deal.
Because he wants to play for Linköping if he doesn't get a NHL contract.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Wow, haven't heard that name in a while! So he's apparently toying with the idea of coming over again, eh? I'll believe it when I see it! The guy's certainly got skill though...although I wonder how badly he hurt his development by continually staying in Sweden's 2nd tier league all those years. I still wonder what could've been had he not gotten that bad eye injury all those years ago. He seemed set to go to N.A. after that season but then he got a stick in the eye, his team crumbled without him and was demoted to the Allsvenskan. With the eye injury slow to recover and wanting to get his hometown team back into the SEL, he stayed another year...and then another and another and...you get the picture. He finally left Malmo to play in the SEL but I'd still be shocked to see him in the NHL next season.

One thing I wonder though: is he still wearing the full face shield? IIRC, he started wearing that full-time a few years ago (see pic below) but I'm not sure if he still does. I don't think that would fly in the NHL. Players are only allowed to wear full face protection when they're recovering from a facial injury. I'm going to assume Carl's eye healed years ago. I can't remember if he had any lasting injuries to his eye/vision from that injury though.
callesoderberg_redhawks.jpg

EDIT: Found the answer to my question myself. It appears he's now wearing a half-shield...or perhaps more of a 3/4 shield would better describe it!
1922960_520_292.jpg

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
So he was drafted in 2004 how is it that Boston still have retained his rights? The rights for Russian players from the 2004 draft were released from there rights in the summer of 2010. I know cause that's when we officially lost the rights to Dmitri Vorobiev(even though we knew he wasn't coming over anyway)

Clarification anyone?

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
So he was drafted in 2004 how is it that Boston still have retained his rights? The rights for Russian players from the 2004 draft were released from there rights in the summer of 2010. I know cause that's when we officially lost the rights to Dmitri Vorobiev(even though we knew he wasn't coming over anyway)

Clarification anyone?

The rights for European players drafted prior to the 2004-05 Lockout and the introduction of the new CBA that followed it are held indefinitely. Since Söderberg was drafted in 2004, the Bruins will keep his NHL rights until he either signs for them or the Bruins decide to release his rights.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
The rights for European players drafted prior to the 2004-05 Lockout and the introduction of the new CBA that followed it are held indefinitely. Since Söderberg was drafted in 2004, the Bruins will keep his NHL rights until he either signs for them or the Bruins decide to release his rights.

Ah.

That's kind of too bad cause he probably wouldn't get a sniff in Boston.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
The reason why I thought Boston still holds his rights is because there's actually a year or two left on his NHL contract. He signed with the Blues, came over for camp but then returned to Sweden without the Blues' permission (this was back when the NHL didn't have a transfer agreement with Sweden) and this burned the first year of his contract. The Blues traded him to Boston but like Radulov still owes the Preds the final year of his ELC, Soderberg still owes Boston for the last year or 2 of his ELC. Perhaps that's not right but that's how I'm remembering it anyway.

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
Kind of funny how people want players to be loyal and not run off for better money elsewhere. But when a player is loyal, he gets trashed for that. :laugh:

Anyway, after seeing him a few times in the SEL this season, he doesn't seem to have lost much playing in the 2nd-tier league. Should be interesting seeing him with Tre Kronor again.

I can't remember if he had any lasting injuries to his eye/vision from that injury though.
He lost like 80-90% of the vision on the eye where the stick hit IIRC.

NoUserNameHere

Dec 26, 2010
I think it's time that the Bruins face facts and decide to trade the Yeti.

Word on the street is that one team near the bottom of the standings is willing to give up a case of Bud Light for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad