Carl Hagelin

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Inquiring for deep dynasty league reasons which factors in defense. Why has Hagelin's offense fallen off a cliff the last 2 years?

He's only 29. His career numbers were always decent, how did he get them if his hands/finish are so bad? His offense fell off a cliff after being signed by ANA but then when traded to PIT caught lightning in a bottle, I get that.

Still, he avg 15 goal, 45 point from 11-12 to 14-15 w/ NYR. I'm assuming his deployment's always been the same.

1) Why has his offense dried up?
2) Is his defense still good? Defensive puck hound and PKer, or has that slipped too?

Hoping someone can shed a little light on his career arc. Thank you in advance.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
He's played a lot of hockey the last 4-5 years. His defense and PKing is still good.

Agreed.

I don't totally defend him, as he's capable of more. But the dude is snake bitten.

I think his offense has always been about his speed, never had a ton of puck handling or shooting ability. I think goalies get better every year, and teams get faster every year. Might have an effect, might not.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It wasn’t bad in 16/17, 30 point pace and his S% was well below norm.

This season I have no idea. Probably playing with lesser linemates and his shooting got worse (2.8% ouch).

The rest of his game is still pretty good. Won’t hurt you going the other way.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It wasn’t bad in 16/17, 30 point pace and his S% was well below norm.

This season I have no idea. Probably playing with lesser linemates and his shooting got worse (2.8% ouch).

The rest of his game is still pretty good. Won’t hurt you going the other way.

Yeah, but he’s had time with the big guns and did nothing with it. Idk what to say about Hagelin's current offensive game and production. It died. I don’t know how it’s gotten this bad. I don’t know if it will ever improve again.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, but he’s had time with the big guns and did nothing with it. Idk what to say about Hagelin's current offensive game and production. It died. I don’t know how it’s gotten this bad. I don’t know if it will ever improve again.

Yeah for sure but not much with all the line shuffling. He was always best with Phil. Just leave him there. Most of the year he’s been with the bottom 6 guys and this year it’s been where offense goes to die :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Inquiring for deep dynasty league reasons which factors in defense. Why has Hagelin's offense fallen off a cliff the last 2 years?

He's only 29. His career numbers were always decent, how did he get them if his hands/finish are so bad? His offense fell off a cliff after being signed by ANA but then when traded to PIT caught lightning in a bottle, I get that.

Still, he avg 15 goal, 45 point from 11-12 to 14-15 w/ NYR. I'm assuming his deployment's always been the same.

1) Why has his offense dried up?
2) Is his defense still good? Defensive puck hound and PKer, or has that slipped too?

Hoping someone can shed a little light on his career arc. Thank you in advance.

I think you are overrating his offensive ability and the players he produced with. He always was a third liner / third wheel that produced when his line mates did. There is a reason you basically never see him score on a breakaway.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I am a little shocked he's scored even 17 goals in the NHL. His shot doesn't seem to be NHL caliber.

He's a solid 3rd liner, nothing more.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
In line for a drastic pay reduction.

I like him as a hockey player...he serves a role, but his salary is steep.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He is overpaid even if he's playing well. He's a defensive 3rd line winger who can skate really fast and put up 30-35 points in a normal year. His issue this year is that the entire team is struggling offensively, and he is not even remotely the kind of player that generates offense for himself. Even last year, where he didn't have a great year, he was still on pace for 30 points.

Reactions: Coach Travis

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
He is overpaid even if he's playing well. He's a defensive 3rd line winger who can skate really fast and put up 30-35 points in a normal year. His issue this year is that the entire team is struggling offensively, and he is not even remotely the kind of player that generates offense for himself. Even last year, where he didn't have a great year, he was still on pace for 30 points.
This is exactly right. Hagelin is actually a great player to have in your bottom 6 but you'll need cheap talent (like we did last year with Sheary, Schultz, Dumoulin) to cover up for him but now it feels like we don't have that luxury.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Lol. If we knew we'd email the Front Office and help them, not your fantasy league!

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
This is exactly right. Hagelin is actually a great player to have in your bottom 6 but you'll need cheap talent (like we did last year with Sheary, Schultz, Dumoulin) to cover up for him but now it feels like we don't have that luxury.

Hes the sort of player a cup-winnng team has to round out a middle 6. But youre right, at his cost we cant do that right now which I think speaks volumes.

I have only seen one player with worse hands, and that is Ike Taylor.

Gold

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

I think when he's playing well he's on pace for 15+ goals and creates problems for the other team all over the ice. I'd say $4 mil, which is a pretty average salary these days, is about right. There's a lot of guys out there who score about 17-20 goals and don't do much else, and make $4-5 mil.

If Hagelin made $3 mil I could tolerate him just fine. $4 mil is definitely getting into territory where you should be noticing a guy most of the time though.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Dude is incredibly snake bit this year. Had countless chances but sometimes hit post, or the puck bounced on him but on lot of them he just couldn't finish. Still hes been a plus player because he's our best pk'er and defensive forward. If only he cost around 2/2.5 mill instead of 4.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Worst player to ever make $4M/year playing professional hockey. He is worth 800K max..

Didn't need him during last year cup run, don't need him now.

Definition of dead weight and a waste of cap space. it will be a happy day when he is jettisoned

Reactions: Richard

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
The funny thing about him is when he was traded for I was livid. If you guys remember I was saying it was such a waste and Perron was the better player.

Looks like Carl caught lightening in a bottle his first run and the player I feared we got would be here the last year and a half.

Dude needs to go.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
The funny thing about him is when he was traded for I was livid. If you guys remember I was saying it was such a waste and Perron was the better player.

Looks like Carl caught lightening in a bottle his first run and the player I feared we got would be here the last year and a half.

Dude needs to go.
Hopefully there's at least one GM out there who just thinks he needs a "change of scenery".

Deczola73

Dec 23, 2017
Worst player to ever make $4M/year playing professional hockey. He is worth 800K max..

Didn't need him during last year cup run, don't need him now.

Definition of dead weight and a waste of cap space. it will be a happy day when he is jettisoned

He is a top PK frwd.

He has no shot at all.

He needs to play with a center who reads the play well and gets pucks into space and corners to do what he does best, win puck battles. Bones was the perfect center for him. He probably would be best fitted playing with Crosby. He is not a good match with Malkin. Sheahan is a horrible match for him and who ever plays 4th line center is so bad it does not need to be mentioned.

He is a 15 goal 35 - 40 point player playing with a good match for him. Other than that he has almost zero offensive game. He has speed (though he seems to be noticeable slower now).

I assume your fantasy league most have over 20 players if you are thinking about claiming Hags.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Dude is incredibly snake bit this year. Had countless chances but sometimes hit post, or the puck bounced on him but on lot of them he just couldn't finish. Still hes been a plus player because he's our best pk'er and defensive forward. If only he cost around 2/2.5 mill instead of 4.
He’s beyond simply snakebitten at this point. He only scored 6 goals last season and he’s on pace for 4 goals this season. Saying Hags is snakebitten is almost as bad as saying Sheahan is merely snakebitten. I think of snakebitten as a month or two, not 2 years.

These two should never play on the same line unless your goal is to not score goals. That third line, Hags Sheahan and Rust, have combined to score 9 goals this season. That’s awful considering our fourth line has accounted for 4 goals the entire season.

Do people really still think this team is a playoff contender as-is?

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Friedman had something on him in his 31 Thoughts today...mentions that the team thinks he's just played a lot of hockey, too much. Apparently he's played the most games since 2012 between the Rangers and us....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad