Carey Price

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
If Montreal were smart, they should certainly hope he doesn't find his form this year. Otherwise they are looking at drafting 5-10, missing the playoffs barely while the GM get's to retain his job.

Team needs an overhaul.

Have you seen that Atlantic? The third spot in the division will go to who doesn’t want to suck the most.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Have you seen that Atlantic? The third spot in the division will go to who doesn’t want to suck the most.

Traditionally, the second spot in the Atlantic goes to the team who doesn’t want to suck the most. The third spot goes to the team that accumulates the most loser points.

CareyItUp

Nov 23, 2011
West Island
Price's bad play has been grossly exaggerated, since coming back from injury he has backstopped 73 out of 74 shots and has posted a whooping .986 save % .

Anyone with half a brain can clearly see he absolutely has the hardware needed to be a top 5 goalie in the league (and the ability to bring MTL to the playoffs)

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Ottawa should have top 3 wrapped up. They are trying to "go for it" this year.

Ottawa may be trying to go for it, but they’ve shown nothing that would even resemble a team that’s a guarantee, even if they acquired a Matt Duchene.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Ottawa should have top 3 wrapped up. They are trying to "go for it" this year.

Going for it while losing 6 games in a row, and giving up there best centerman for a guy who by all accounts is a much better winger then centerman.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Heard a pretty interesting segment on tsn1260 a few weeks back on price, can't remember who the guest was but it was someone from the goalie guild. He brought up that Price had made a few tweaks with his skates, it was a change that most goalies had moved towards but a few others including price had yet to. Anyways he went on to attribute the struggles Price had early in the season on this change and mentioned that he was going back to what he had used before once when he came back from injury. I wish I understood the segment a little more so I could provide more detail but he was talking about the pitch of the skate and something about the boot.

Price returning to form probably shouldn't be a surprise, to the disappointment of many.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I love it how there's been so much speculation around Price and his bad start. Playing through injury, equipment, new contract, giving up on the team etc. etc.

I mean, everything could affect somewhat, but is it out of the realm of possibility that Price just had a bad start, the team was shit in front of him and things just snowballed ?

It's not exactly rocket science to figure out that when the team is playing hard and just generally much better and Price gets a mental break to reset things, his comeback would look like this.

If Jake Allen can do it, so can Price.

Reactions: Tuggy

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Price's bad play has been grossly exaggerated, since coming back from injury he has backstopped 73 out of 74 shots and has posted a whooping .986 save % .

Anyone with half a brain can clearly see he absolutely has the hardware needed to be a top 5 goalie in the league (and the ability to bring MTL to the playoffs)
The goal was lucky. Morrow played so bad on that goal... its not even funny.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Seeing as 99% of this thread is just complaining about the thread, I actually have something to add.

I was reading this morning that Price had new equipment and went back to them for his game back when he got the shutout. He put his old skates / helmet / pads back on, and his lateral movement seemed a lot better.

Maybe just a comfort thing?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Heard a pretty interesting segment on tsn1260 a few weeks back on price, can't remember who the guest was but it was someone from the goalie guild. He brought up that Price had made a few tweaks with his skates, it was a change that most goalies had moved towards but a few others including price had yet to. Anyways he went on to attribute the struggles Price had early in the season on this change and mentioned that he was going back to what he had used before once when he came back from injury. I wish I understood the segment a little more so I could provide more detail but he was talking about the pitch of the skate and something about the boot.

Price returning to form probably shouldn't be a surprise, to the disappointment of many.

that and his injury ( which looks minor and has apparently healed). Whatever the cause, the price we see currently doesn't look like the price that was struggling.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Where are all the people saying he's not a top 10 goaltender anymore?

in b4 he gives up 3 goals

Assuming by "anymore" you mean this year, in which case statistically he's not. Not even in the top 50%

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
The goal was lucky. Morrow played so bad on that goal... its not even funny.

It was interference... Morrow did alright, he was maybe a fraction of a second slow to react but was still in position ahead of him and doesn't have to give up the lane, but the guy tried to drive through anyway. The Blue Jacket's skate knocked into Price's pad while his body hit the blocker and knocked his stick out. Both Price's pad & blocker, the parts that made contact with the Blue Jacket player are inside his crease, he gets pushed back and loses his stick and then someone pots the empty net.

I cannot figure out how is that not interference when in the same game a similar play gets Montreal a 2 min penalty. I guess Price has to sell it harder and flop over backwards like Bob did because the refs reviewing it (very quickly) on their little 10 inch screens can't seem to see any kind of detail.

Reactions: CDN24

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Assuming by "anymore" you mean this year, in which case statistically he's not. Not even in the top 50%
Well I mean, after the start do you really think it'd only take two games to get back into the upper echelon? He keeps playing like this and he'll be right back up there by mid-December. The dude never forget how to play hockey and do his job over one summer.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Well I mean, after the start do you really think it'd only take two games to get back into the upper echelon? He keeps playing like this and he'll be right back up there by mid-December. The dude never forget how to play hockey and do his job over one summer.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Nope.

I'll simplify it for you.

Going forward for the next few seasons, who are the 10 goalies you would you take before him on your favourite team, talent-wise ?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Nope.

I'll simplify it for you.

Going forward for the next few seasons, who are the 10 goalies you would you take before him on your favourite team, talent-wise ?

All make at least 3M less than Price with his new contract - most make closer to half (or less). Say what you will about "talent" but in a salary capped league contracts matter. A lot.
(for example- next year Price's cap hit will be 8.2M higher than Gibson's and he will be paid 11.7M more in real dollars. The difference between them outside of Price's 1 god-mode season has been negligible. There is zero way to justify spending those extra dollars on a goalie when 8.2M will get you a very high end forward instead)

Bobrovsky
Holtby
Gibson
Vasilevskiy
Murray
Schnieder
Quick
Miller
Fleury
Bishop

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
All make at least 3M less than Price with his new contract - most make closer to half (or less). Say what you will about "talent" but in a salary capped league contracts matter. A lot.
(for example- next year Price's cap hit will be 8.2M higher than Gibson's and he will be paid 11.7M more in real dollars. The difference between them outside of Price's 1 god-mode season has been negligible. There is zero way to justify spending those extra dollars on a goalie when 8.2M will get you a very high end forward instead)

Bobrovsky
Holtby
Gibson
Vasilevskiy
Murray
Schnieder
Quick
Miller
Fleury
Bishop

Moving the goal posts ?

Talent-wise, I wrote...

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Moving the goal posts ?

Talent-wise, I wrote...

Again.. outside of Price's god mode season talent differences are negligible if not outright non-existent between him and most of those I mentioned. The rest was just pointing out that there is no such thing as saying "age and contract status doesn't matter" so long as the salary cap exists. If hanging that "best goalie in the world" label on him makes you guys feel better about shelling out 15M for him next year great.... but I'm pretty sure that moniker belongs to Bob now.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Great goalies can look like complete **** when their teams are sucking ass.

Is Price back? I don’t think he ever “left”, so no, he’s not back imo. He’s still one of the elite goalies in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad