Speculation: Carey Price will win a Conn Smythe before he wins a Vezina, if ever

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
He's arguably one of the top goaltenders in the NHL. As long as he continue playing like he has we can be a contender now, as long as he remain healthy, which I value above him winning a trophy. He doesn't have anything to prove anymore.

Kenny Powders

Apr 6, 2005
Laval
Apparently Bernier is gonna win the vezina next season..

It's unbeleivable how TML fans thinks, each single year, that they are going to be a force. They did literally no change to their lineup. Plus the fact that we know the kind of choke job they are able to do

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's unbeleivable how TML fans thinks, each single year, that they are going to be a force. They did literally no change to their lineup. Plus the fact that we know the kind of choke job they are able to do

Another glorious thread was "did the leafs win the off season".

Now let me be frank. I make fun of our own fans when they do something equally stupid. But Leafs delusion has been rampant since Bernier should have made the Olympic team over Price.

Masuli

May 8, 2013
Turku, Finland
Maybe there was something to question Pricers level but MB's addition of Waite has helped Price tremendeously! He is leaps and bounds above his 12-13 level and after the injury I really hope he continues to get even better with Waite. Goaltending is not the issue in Habs status of being a contender. Even Tokarski gave us a chance to win NYR but the team just wasn't there anymore after Price went down.

What comes to trophies. Price was undervalued in this years vote and continues to do so until he comes up with a season like Bishop or Varlamov.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
There's something to it, as Vezina voters tend to pick the shiny new guy coming out of nowhere that puts up good numbers over the old reliables.

Rask had insane stats, so he was going to win last year, no one really goes further in depth to see that he had a great team in front of him. But Bishop was a finalist, and Price had pretty much identical stats (and MTL and TB were only 1 point apart). The guys who voted Bishop over Price were voting for the story of the guy coming out of nowhere (relatively speaking), not the actual result on the ice.

Still, he's in the conversation pretty much every year. Goalies will come and go but Price will be Top 5 for a long time yet, and should win one eventually.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Another glorious thread was "did the leafs win the off season".

Now let me be frank. I make fun of our own fans when they do something equally stupid. But Leafs delusion has been rampant since Bernier should have made the Olympic team over Price.

That was a good one! :biglaugh: But I'd say they were delusional long before that.

Habs fans are bipolar, Leafs fans are delusional. It does lead to interesting discussions.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This is true in theory but in reality, the Vezina winner the past 4+ seasons had an above great year. They all had > .930 sv% seasons. That isn't realistic, the 3 greatest goalies of all time had sv% of

Martin Brodeur .912
Patrick Roy .912
Dominek Hasek .922

Price had one of his best seasons last year and he was .927. For him to win, he has to be even better than last year and nobody can step up and have an insane season.

I think Price will have another + .923 season next year but I think he also learns that he needs to save some gas for the playoffs and I don't see him going balls to the wall to try win a Vezina. Our team is likely to take a slight step back and let the younger players grow. Having a couple of rookies on d instead of Gorges will affect Price's sv%.

He certainly is capable of winning a vezina, I just think there is always going to be someone who has a crazy awesome year that will eclipse him.
I don't think our team will take a step back on the D. Our D last year was pathetic for the most part. Beaulieu, Gilbert, Weaver, Tinordi... whoever is actually on the ice between those guys will be better than Cube/Murray. Yeah we lose Gorges but Beaulieu is going to be good this season. At the very least we'll be as good as last year back there and I'll be surprised if our D doesn't look a whole lot better.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

:huh:

Only a entire bottom 6 essentially and 2, possibly 3 new defencemen.

Oh and one more thing, there isn't anyone who thinks the Leafs are "going to be a force". Anyone who does should be investigated for trolling. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad