Eklund Rumor: Carey Price to VGK

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The question is why retain and have 50% count against your cap when the player is otherwise sitting on LTIR not counting against your cap and I believe therefore being paid by insurance not the club. All for the gift of taking the oppositions cap dump that will also tag against their cap. How could they possibly say no to that?

Honestly I don’t see how there’s any chance of a workable proposal here.
I’d do it if it got the Habs pieces for their puzzle. It’s not what you give, it’s what you get back imo.

I agree with you beyond that: I don’t see a deal here.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
So many NHL noobs spam rumours about Carey Price without realizing 1. He makes 10 million dollars 2. He’s past his prime and 3. He’s on LTIR and not expected to even be able to regain form.

It’s more likely his career is done, as stated by Carey himself. It will be a long, uphill battle just for him to play again. Then we factor in that albatross contract and.. yeah, not going anywhere.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
i love Price one of the best if not the best goalie of hes generation but nobody wants Price right now

cant retain more then 50%
third team would need to be involved.

and no, if Price goes to Vegas he does not get credit for calling it--look in the thread about the vegas goalie getting injured and how many people suggested Price would be heading their if healthy

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Reminder from the trade board rules:
  • Validity of Sources - Please do not post in threads simply to bash the source. Critiquing the validity of the source is fine, as long as it is civil and the post does not simply flame the writer and/or source. For example, posts such as "Eklund is trash", "Dreger is stupid", etc. are not allowed, but you can criticize the validity of the source as long as you are respectful and on-topic. Do remember that you do not have to click on any links or read through any threads - you do so on your own accord. If you are caught bashing the same source multiple times and providing no actual content, you may be subject to warnings, infractions, and forum-bans.
The Eklund tag is not there to endorse or represent Eklund as a reputable source of rumors.

The tag is there so posters can easily identify threads with Eklund as a source and decide whether or not they want to participate in the discussion. If folks don't care for this thread the forums are filled with thousands of other discussions they can participate in. No one is forcing you or anyone else to read these threads.

And the folks that like to come into these threads and spam them with anti-Eklund comments are doing a disservice to their follow HFB members by making it harder for them to have an on-topic discussion.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
It literally can’t happen - Vegas does not have off-season space - they have 2 ish mil
Left in the 10% cushion
Yep, this is most notable.

VGK could only add about $2.46 m in cap to stay within the 10% overage that is allowed during the offseason.

This fact makes a lot of the discussion moot.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

VGK could only add about $2.46 m in cap to stay within the 10% overage that is allowed during the offseason.

Price to Vegas
Weber+pick to Arizona
Future considerations to Montreal

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

Not really. This idea isn't as dumb as everyone here is implying it is.

Price (if he is healthy enough to play) at 50% retention for Lehner straight up. Cap hits are basically the same, 250K difference. Lehner stays on IR for the rest of the year, Allen can start that was probably what MTL was planning for anyway. Also Lehner is younger than Price so better timeline for a rebuild anyway (not ideal, but better). VGK gets a legit goalie so they don't have to run the risk of rolling with Logan Thompson as their starter this year. Re: age, Price is 34 with a game that's mostly built around his mental ability (reading the play etc) so it's not crazy if VGK might think he has a few good years left. After all, MAF certainly is still playing well (VGK regrets giving him away eh?), and Price's game in theory should age better than MAF's because it's less reliant on athleticism. From Price's side, he does have a full NMC but if he wants to leave a rebuilding team to join a roster that's at least playoff-worthy, he wouldn't be the first one to do that.

Would I trade for Price if I were Vegas? F*** no. But that franchise is so impatient and makes so many short term nonsense moves (Lehner signing, Eichel trades which led to MAF / Patches giveaways, Dadonov signing and then 2x trade etc).

Anyway. Regardless of what you may think of Eklund would any of us seriously be surprised if VGK pulled a trade like this ASSUMING Price is healthy enough to play. Lehner's out for the whole season, they need a goalie, and they are an impatient franchise. If I were VGK I wouldn't do it, but the idea isn't pure nonsense

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Makes sense.. Price probably can't play the regular season but can probably do the playoffs. Perfect for Vegas unless they miss again.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Not really. This idea isn't as dumb as everyone here is implying it is.

Price (if he is healthy enough to play) at 50% retention for Lehner straight up. Cap hits are basically the same, 250K difference. Lehner stays on IR for the rest of the year, Allen can start that was probably what MTL was planning for anyway. Also Lehner is younger than Price so better timeline for a rebuild anyway (not ideal, but better). VGK gets a legit goalie so they don't have to run the risk of rolling with Logan Thompson as their starter this year. Re: age, Price is 34 with a game that's mostly built around his mental ability (reading the play etc) so it's not crazy if VGK might think he has a few good years left. After all, MAF certainly is still playing well (VGK regrets giving him away eh?), and Price's game in theory should age better than MAF's because it's less reliant on athleticism. From Price's side, he does have a full NMC but if he wants to leave a rebuilding team to join a roster that's at least playoff-worthy, he wouldn't be the first one to do that.

Would I trade for Price if I were Vegas? F*** no. But that franchise is so impatient and makes so many short term nonsense moves (Lehner signing, Eichel trades which led to MAF / Patches giveaways, Dadonov signing and then 2x trade etc).

Anyway. Regardless of what you may think of Eklund would any of us seriously be surprised if VGK pulled a trade like this ASSUMING Price is healthy enough to play. Lehner's out for the whole season, they need a goalie, and they are an impatient franchise. If I were VGK I wouldn't do it, but the idea isn't pure nonsense

That makes no sense for Montreal though. LTIRertirement is a realistic possibility for Price given his injury history. At which point retaining on him is just stupid. Given the nature of Lehner's injury, there's a realistic chance that they'd just be in the same position they are now, except they'd have much less cap flexibility. Age isn't that relevant because its goaltenders which tend to age differently and the fact that both goalies have injuries that put their ability to play and future effectiveness in serious doubt. There's just very little benefit for Montreal in that kind of trade.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
That makes no sense for Montreal though. LTIRertirement is a realistic possibility for Price given his injury history. At which point retaining on him is just stupid. Given the nature of Lehner's injury, there's a realistic chance that they'd just be in the same position they are now, except they'd have much less cap flexibility. Age isn't that relevant because its goaltenders which tend to age differently and the fact that both goalies have injuries that put their ability to play and future effectiveness in serious doubt. There's just very little benefit for Montreal in that kind of trade.

Thx for the well-thought out response, appreciated over here.

If Price is LTIRetirement then VGK wouldn't want him anyway, I'm talking about trading for Price only if he can play at least this season (and likely longer). And sure, Price is a long term injury risk but by your logic so is Lehner, if they're the same injury risk (and same cap hit) why not, it doesn't really hurt MTL next year since they're tanking anyway, maybe it even helps, Bedard / Suzuki would be pretty ridiculous down the middle. After next season who knows but if Lehner / Price represent the same level of long term injury risk I'd argue it's a wash.

Re: cap flexibility, retaining on Price while trading for Lehner is the same cap hit so basically same amount of cap flexibility EXCEPT one retention spot taken up, rn MTL is not retaining on anyone so doesn't seem like as big a deal as it would for other franchises. Also Lehner's contract expires one year before Price's so slight benefit in that MTL would get that 5m in cap space back one year sooner.

But you're right, probably the value is off. MTL would need a significant sweetener -- to your main point why would they burn a retention slot for multiple years while also assuming Lehner's injury risk esp if Price is healthy enough to play. What if VGK were to include a 2023 top-10 protected 1st round pick? Again, wouldn't be surprised if VGK offered something like that (or even more), they've history been loose with trading draft picks / prospects (incl in trades with MTL, see both sides of Tatar deal, Eichel trade etc). And they really do need a goalie for next season.

Again though I wouldn't do this if I were Vegas, my point is I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas did this given how the franchise has been run these past few years with overly near-term focus. And also how many deals MTL and VGK have made in the past (Weber contract, Patches etc). That's all I'm saying.

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021
Price can be traded but he need to play a minimum of 20 game without being injured.
after that we can start talking trade include him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad