Carey Price opens up on feelings from players and management regarding the PK trade

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
We (the players and management) simply thought PK's creativity sometimes came at the wrong moment and made the situation unpredictable.

-Carey Price

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...y-price-pk-subban-etait-trop-imprevisible.php

First example that came to my mind

I think this is very interesting to hear this. It seems the move was more an organizational health than than one or two people not being fans by the sounds of things.

Edit:

From the article I am going to try and translate the best I can with my French knowledge

Toutes les équipes ont une structure en place et veulent que les joueurs jouent d'une certaine façon, a expliqué Carey Price, hier. Et en fonction de ce qu'on voulait, Shea [Weber] s'insère parfaitement là-dedans

"All teams play with a certain structure in place and expect their players to play a certain way, said Price yesterday. With what we want, Weber fits perfectly here"

«Avec Shea, on sait exactement ce qui nous attend. Il joue vraiment bien défensivement et il représente aussi une menace à l'attaque dont tout le monde est bien au fait.»

With Shea, we know exactly what we are getting. He plays well defensively, and is also a threat offensively which everyone is aware of.

Last edited:

LeaferGeezer

Sep 14, 2016
Toronto
Carey Price is going to be eating those words once Montreal realizes that they no longer have a player that can create offense like Subban. I've seen players like him in my years of watching hockey, the best way to fix failed creative attempts, is to give him more opportunity to succeed not less.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I think the whole thing was overblown. It's just a matter of preference and playing styles.

Weber is as consistent as the come

PK is PK

When you have Price, I think you have an advantage with slowing the game down. Any goalie can get beat in transition, so you lose your goalie advantage. If Weber can make Price's job easier at the sacrifice of offense I don't think it's necessarily a downgrade. Weber is a better goal scorer than PK as well. If you want to move away from transition hockey, Weber is a great choice.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's going to be fun watching Nashville be better team than Montreal for years.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I may start to watch the Habs more, I like my hockey to be uncreative and predictable. :sarcasm:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
From the article I am going to try and translate the best I can with my French knowledge

"All teams play with a certain structure in place and expect their players to play a certain way, said Price yesterday. With what we want, Weber fits perfectly here"

With Shea, we know exactly what we are getting. He plays well defensively, and is also a threat offensively which the world is aware of.

Great translation. Biggest change I'd make is probably switching "the world" with "everyone".

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Exactly what's wrong with the NHL.

A player tries some exciting, creative hockey? Better trade him. We need good robots who'll follow the system all night long and make the plays everyone can see from a minute before.

No 0ffesne to the fans, but I hope Weber flops hard.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

A player tries some exciting, creative hockey? Better trade him. We need good robots who'll follow the system all night long and make the plays everyone can see from a minute before.

This 100%. The game of hockey is so damn conservative these days, and these quotes really give a glimpse into the risk-averse culture of the league. It's much easier to destroy than create.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

It's Montreal, they don't have to make new fans. They have to win.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Price has a snippy attitude. I like that in a goalie.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Lol the drama. And why is he doing the talking, shouldn't it be just management? I get he was BFFs with the guy, but I would have left it to management.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Reminds me of that Patrick Roy scrub Montreal had on their team a while back. Guy had a bit too much of an attitude, a little too much creativity. Best move that franchise ever made in running him out of town. Subban trade will be similar. Good moves, MTL!

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
Why heff be mad? It's common sense that sometimes better individuals are not better for a group of individuals when they operate two different ways.

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003

Nashville has been the better team than Montreal for a decade plus. How fun has that been, not getting past the 2nd round? Other than the occasional on-ice antics by Subban, not sure what there is to look forward to. :shrug:

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
Nashville has been the better team than Montreal for a decade plus. How fun has that been, not getting past the 2nd round? Other than the occasional on-ice antics by Subban, not sure what there is to look forward to. :shrug:

After the pedestal habs fans put subban on, to see this is disappointing

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Lol the drama. And why is he doing the talking, shouldn't it be just management? I get he was BFFs with the guy, but I would have left it to management.

Good point... Price should just say... Its a management decision and he's happy Weber is part of the team now.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Even if his play style had mistakes, it benefitted MTL MUCH more than it hurt them, the amount of times they relied on him to score or bail them out was considerable. They will have a better defensive defenseman with Weber but goodluck generating offense from the transition with Weber, this will be a noticeable loss next year imo. Even in Nashville, Weber only seemed dangerous once set up in the zone, Josi does most of the transition and breakout.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
You build a team around your strengths. In this case that strength is to build a wall around Carey Price. Unfortunately, the best way to win isn't the always the most exciting. The Devils did it for a decade. Do I wish we had the team to play like the Oilers of the 80s? Absolutely. But reality is this is what gives this current team the better chance at winning imo.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Understatement of the year

Its like comparing a topnotch NHL team to a AHL team plus Price

But Price is dead wrong that brutal team needs creativity and now is gone. And why nothing to say when he was there? What a joke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad