Speculation: Carey Price and the Habs to win the Stanley Cup this year if Price wins in Sochi.

TheRooster

Dec 31, 2013
Montreal
Didn't you know that Gionta is the best rw in the league?

In NHL 10 maybe...

I think Price can carry his confidence to the playoffs, but that doesn't mean the team will go far, or even make the playoffs. It all depends on if the team can play together properly, and if MT stops with the favouritism and clueless decisions. Price can only carry so many passengers...

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
First game of playoffs will be a win after 38 OT periods at a 0 - 0 tie.

Game will end with Price beating the goalie on a clear out of the zone during the PK.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Hypothesis:

1. If Carey Price ends up being starting goalie for Canada in the olympics (whether by default, or through Luong's injury, or simply by outplaying him) - which is very likely.

2. If Canada ends up winning Gold Medal in the olympics, with Carey Price at the helm in goal - which again, is very likely Canada being one of the (if not THE) favorite.

3. I believe that Carey Price is the type of Hockey Player, the type of Goalie, who will be able to come back from Sochi on such a high, so as to ride that with absolutely extraordinary play for the habs for the rest of the season, and into the playoffs. Enough so, that I can see him helping the team win the cup.

Thoughts?

I'm not really trying to say the Habs are any kind of favorite cup contender, or even necessaily that Price is the best in the world. I just feel as though, he's the type of player who, should he be victorious in Sochi, would be able to ride that to stellar play for the rest of the year.

So, 1 month later.

Any takers?

Not only did Price end up being #1, and winning gold, he shutout the 2 best teams in the tournament in the final 2 games to do so.

There's no certainty, but i feel as though Price is the type of player who can use that Golden victory to play absolute lights out for the rest of the year. It will motivate/impact him more than it would have almost any other goalie/player in the olympics had they been in his place. Not because he's better than them, just because i believe he's the type of player who'll be able to ride that success for the rest of the year.

So, Habs = Cup Champions in 2014. any takers? :nod:

PricePkPatch*

So, 1 month later.

Any takers?

Not only did Price end up being #1, and winning gold, he shutout the 2 best teams in the tournament in the final 2 games to do so.

There's no certainty, but i feel as though Price is the type of player who can use that Golden victory to play absolute lights out for the rest of the year. It will motivate/impact him more than it would have almost any other goalie/player in the olympics had they been in his place. Not because he's better than them, just because i believe he's the type of player who'll be able to ride that success for the rest of the year.

So, Habs = Cup Champions in 2014. any takers? :nod:

Yhea. Team Canada had nothing on the Habs. We can totally pull off the same level of performance.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Please Mods, stop the madness. Close this thread already.

Yeah, Price alone is going to win everything. Apparently, we have no holes to fill. :shakehead

QuickWrister

Nov 25, 2013
London, ON
There is a point here though.

Price is on a high sure, but the trade deadline is also coming soon plus some of our guys had a good experience in Sochi and have had some rest.

Galchenyuk is ready to come back. Eller could come back to life.

Plekanec is rested and had a good experience.

Briere is supposedly a playoff guy.

Subban was a positive influence over there and I'm sure will rock it the rest of the way.

Emelin played good and should only improve.

Markov got some rest.

If we could secure a top 4 dman and a decent winger for the trip home, all this could make Price a winner.

Having our goalie on a high can only help.

At least just please beat the Leafs in the standings . . . . :help:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Please Mods, stop the madness. Close this thread already.

Yeah, Price alone is going to win everything. Apparently, we have no holes to fill. :shakehead

Hot goalies have won cups in the past.

Habs finished first in standings last year - we're close enough to do so again this year (Pens may be unreachable, but Boston/Tampa not so much).

I don't know that i'd say that the Habs are one of the top 3-4 teams in the league, they're not. But they do have a good team - and with a hot enough goalie anythign is possible.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

Habs finished first in standings last year - we're close enough to do so again this year (Pens may be unreachable, but Boston/Tampa not so much).

I don't know that i'd say that the Habs are one of the top 3-4 teams in the league, they're not. But they do have a good team - and with a hot enough goalie anythign is possible.

Name me a hot goalie that has won in the past. By that, I mean a goalie who stole many games in the playoffs for a team that should not have had much of a shot at the cup in theory. I cant name you a goalie in recent history. The only one that really came close that comes to mind is Giguere and the ducks in 2003, or kiprusoff in 04. Both ultimately fell short though.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Is the OP Daniel Briere?

Teams need to make the playoffs being having a chance at winning the cup.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

No goalie has ever won with a team this weak. And Price is unlikely to be the first.

Until this team plays better and we fix some holes (including the coaching) we are going nowhere.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Name me a hot goalie that has won in the past. By that, I mean a goalie who stole many games in the playoffs for a team that should not have had much of a shot at the cup in theory. I cant name you a goalie in recent history. The only one that really came close that comes to mind is Giguere and the ducks in 2003, or kiprusoff in 04. Both ultimately fell short though.

remind me again what happened a few years back when Montreal was on the verge of beating the Hurricanes and those pesky canes switched out goalies

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
So, 1 month later.

Any takers?

Can you throw out the 6 winning numbers for the next Powerball Lottery drawing?

There is zero correlation between the Olympics victory and what will happen in the NHL. None.

MrDontGive

Nov 16, 2010
if this was 10 years ago, I might agree with OP but these scenarios haven't happened alot since the 90's... as a matter of fact, to me, the last time it really happened was in 1993... ;)

If we don't get ALOT better by the trade deadline, there is no way... we will get outscored no matter how well Price does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad