Recalled/Assigned: Carey and Malone recalled

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Have to assume they will be up for quite some time even if they're scratched since you are only allowed 4(i think) call ups after the trade deadline. Glad to see Carey get his named called. Well deserved. Roy skipping over names like Aggo and Smith proves that he doesn't want younger guys being moved back and fourth, tinkering with their development.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm kind of excited for Carey. I have been fairly hard on him over the years, but he has a bit of offensive pop to his game, good size, and plays well defensively. IMO he has a much better chance of finding a role than Malone does.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Have to assume they will be up for quite some time even if they're scratched since you are only allowed 4(i think) call ups after the trade deadline. Glad to see Carey get his named called. Well deserved. Roy skipping over names like Aggo and Smith proves that he doesn't want younger guys being moved back and fourth, tinkering with their development.

Or the more likely reason is that Roy prefers size.

I'm kind of excited for Carey. I have been fairly hard on him over the years, but he has a bit of offensive pop to his game, good size, and plays well defensively. IMO he has a much better chance of finding a role than Malone does.

Carey is one of those players that does everything decently, but nothing overly impressively. So that will either help him be a steady bottom-6 role player in the NHL, or a career AHLer.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Looking forward to seeing Carey in the mix, maybe even on the 3rd line with McGinn being bumped up to the top 6 with PAP out.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Carey? I've got no idea who thus is... He is 25 and ?
Anybody seen him play?

Lots of us have seen him play in LEM.
He isn't the most skilled, but can put some pucks in the net.

Quite good defensively. I think Carey's game should translate quite well to the bottom-6 in the nhl.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Lots of us have seen him play in LEM.
He isn't the most skilled, but can put some pucks in the net.

Quite good defensively. I think Carey's game should translate quite well to the bottom-6 in the nhl.

Roy seems to like his speed. A fast skating guy who's good defensively would be a good addition. My greatest hope is that Malone will feel more comfortable with a LEM on his wing and will be the player we all hope he can be.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm hoping one of these guys steps up and becomes an impact player down the stretch. Might not seem likely, but it's been one of those years...

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I'm hoping one of these guys steps up and becomes an impact player down the stretch. Might not seem likely, but it's been one of those years...

Both certainly have the pedigree to do so based on their college years....though both seem destined to be locked away on the 4th line.

Not really Sacco or Roy's fault for it, as the need has not been there, but I have thought for a long time that Malone's development has been hampered at the NHL level by not playing with the right style of line mates in the right role.

The instinct with Malone is to play him as a grinder, as he has a decent two way game and can play the physical game...but frankly he is strictly average at that style of play. Malone is best used with speedy forwards who handle the brunt of the puck control and movement while he agitates and makes room for them. His best years at UND had him between Evan Trupp and Matt Frattin, both skill players with speed. I would love to see Roy put Malone with Lando and Mac just to see if he can keep up and open up the ice for them some while Paul is out.

Hell, Frattin keeps getting shuffled around, grab him for cheap in the off season from Columbus and put Malone with Frattin and PAP or McGinn on the 3rd line next year.

Malone also is playing with too much control in his game. He was what he was at UND because he played right at the line of being a dirty player, and leaned over that line a bit a few times. At the NHL level he has lost that willingness to be somewhat reckless. Not saying I want him to go out there and try and hurt people, but he needs to be more aggressive and let off whatever chain the Avs have had him on the last few years.

Last edited:

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Both certainly have the pedigree to do so based on their college years....though both seem destined to be locked away on the 4th line.

Not really Sacco or Roy's fault for it, as the need has not been there, but I have thought for a long time that Malone's development has been hampered at the NHL level by not playing with the right style of line mates in the right role.

The instinct with Malone is to play him as a grinder, as he has a decent two way game and can play the physical game...but frankly he is strictly average at that style of play. Malone is best used with speedy forwards who handle the brunt of the puck control and movement while he agitates and makes room for them. His best years at UND had him between Evan Trupp and Matt Frattin, both skill players with speed. I would love to see Roy put Malone with Lando and Mac just to see if he can keep up and open up the ice for them some while Paul is out.

Hell, Frattin keeps getting shuffled around, grab him for cheap in the off season from Columbus and put Malone with Frattin and PAP or McGinn on the 3rd line next year.

Malone also is playing with too much control in his game. He was what he was at UND because he played right at the line of being a dirty player, and leaned over that line a bit a few times. At the NHL level he has lost that willingness to be somewhat reckless. Not saying I want him to go out there and try and hurt people, but he needs to be more aggressive and let off whatever chain the Avs have had him on the last few years.

Your description fits my sense of him, he's like another McGinn, who after getting unstuck from San Jose's 3rd line showed more offense than anybody thought he had. Malone's goal last night might get him some looks higher up in the line-up, maybe letting Mitchell anchor the 3rd line again- center depth.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Good to see Malone score. I didn't notice much of Carey outside of his speed, which was evident immediately.

He only got 6 minutes. Hard to see much in that limited amount of time, but , yes, he is fast.

He also gave himself a nice scoring opportunity as well with his speed.

This is what I was afraid of with him and Malone playing w/ Bordeleau, they would get 6 or less minutes of playing time.

Hopefully he shows well in practice and can earn some more time.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He also gave himself a nice scoring opportunity as well with his speed.

This is what I was afraid of with him and Malone playing w/ Bordeleau, they would get 6 or less minutes of playing time.

Hopefully he shows well in practice and can earn some more time.

I wouldn't say 6 minutes from them is a bad thing right now. They are far from proven and they haven't done anything yet to show they should be ahead of Cliche or McLeod. If they do, Roy will move them up... he is pretty good about that.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I wouldn't say 6 minutes from them is a bad thing right now. They are far from proven and they haven't done anything yet to show they should be ahead of Cliche or McLeod. If they do, Roy will move them up... he is pretty good about that.

Cliche and Mcleod suck. I would put Carey and Malone with Talbot next game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I know they are shiny new toys, but Cliche was brought in because he was better than Malone and continued to beat him out during the season. McLeod has proven far, far more than Carey and Malone have, so McLeod gets the benefit of the doubt (and is a better player than both ATM). Malone and Carey are not top flight prospects, they are mid 20s players trying to carve out a bottom 6 role. Those type of players have to prove themselves to stay in and move up the lineup.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

No, they don't. I don't quite know what you guys expect from two fourth-line forwards who are capable PKers.

I like Mitchell when he keeps his game simple, unfortunately that's rarely the case. Again, I won't cry if he's re-upped, but I'd just as soon see the guy move on.

One thing people seem to overlook a lot of the time is how effective McLeod can be on the forecheck. He's surprisingly good at creating turnovers, something that can't yet be said about Malone.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
No, they don't. I don't quite know what you guys expect from two fourth-line forwards who are capable PKers.

I like Mitchell when he keeps his game simple, unfortunately that's rarely the case. Again, I won't cry if he's re-upped, but I'd just as soon see the guy move on.

One thing people seem to overlook a lot of the time is how effective McLeod can be on the forecheck. He's surprisingly good at creating turnovers, something that can't yet be said about Malone.

Agreed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad