Career: Jonathan Quick or MAF?

The better career?

• Total voters

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Fleury was great in 08 though. Has the 2017 run. And then the 2018 run with Vegas. Plus the Vezina year.

Yes, his numbers are considerably better in 2008.

2017 isn't very impressive, as I said in the post you quoted, he was middle of the pack. Good chance they still advance with a healthy Murray.

Vegas run I give him full credit for. He played great despite not exactly having an all star team in front of him.

As for the Vezina, good for him that he finally won it but it should have gone to Vasi. I mean, MAF didn't even make the 1st AST and just barely beat him for the trophy.

Reactions: VoluntaryDom

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Robbed? Quick wasn't robbed, Lundqvist had just as great of a season as Quick had and they were pretty much neck in neck in all advanced stats as well.

Up until Sutter took over and they acquired Carter, Quick was doing it on a massively underperforming team.

Reactions: Voight

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Up until Sutter took over and they acquired Carter, Quick was doing it on a massively underperforming team.
You're seriously having as an argument Quick had to carry his team for half a season? You know who you're comparing him to, right? Lundqvist formed his whole career around dragging bad Rangers teams into the playoffs kicking and screaming, while getting bombarded in the playoffs. That Torts realized this and formed a turtle defense was because he realized Lundqvist was the only consistent chance the team had to win any games. He did it because the team lacked top end talent and had slow defensemen.

In all playoff rounds since 2006, I've seen the Rangers being better than their opponents in ONE round when Lundqvist played. The Atlanta Trashers in round 1. All other series they very usually the clearly more struggling team. If Lundqvist didn't play great and was the best player on the ice, the team lost, no way around it. For years and years the same thing under different coaches.

So Quick had to be the best player on the ice on any given night? So what? That was the standard for Lundqvist.

I can agree it was really a bummer both goalies had such fantasticly sharp and consistent seasons at the same time. I can even agree you could argue Quick should've won it instead. I mean, both were worthy IMO. But "a robbery"? Naw, Lundqvist and Quick were neck in neck that season. And yeah, it's unfair not both were awarded for their seasons in some way.

Last edited:

Rass

Apr 7, 2006
rhlsim.tripod.com
Quick was a lot more instrumental in his team winning their Cups, and he was a lot more dominant at his "peak".

The only area Fleury has him beat is health/longevity.

This kind of argument is basically saying Eric Lindros had a better career than Teemu Selanne because he was more dominant at his peak. The only area Selanne has him beath is health/longevity.

To me, keeping the higher level of play for most of your career speaks a lot more about who had the better career than the short-period peak. Being the better player and having the better career are two different things.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
It’s hard to argue that Fleury didn’t have the better career given the accomplishments but if you were asking who I would take I’d have taken Quick.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If Quick were to win a Vezina this year, would that sway people's minds? Quick doesn't turn 36 until January.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Quick was a bigger part of his cup wins. Fleury didn’t even play in half of his. Quick’s 2012 season was also better than any season Fleury has ever played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad