Career: Jonathan Quick or MAF?

The better career?

• Total voters

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Both are near the same age and I think will likely retire around the same time. Who has had the better career?

MAF: 3 cups, 1 vezina
Quick: 2 cups, 1 Conn Smythe

MAF has one more cup but you could argue that a Conn Smythe is more impressive than a vezina.
MAF will likely make the HHOF, not sure Quick will though.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
quick had a great peak on a great team but MAF has had success on two separate teams in two different eras which is pretty cool. quick maybe the better player on his cup teams but "career" wise MAF has the slightly better accolades and staying power in peoples minds because of his Vezina so he's more likely to get into the HHOF

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Fleury is third all time in regular season wins (497) behind only Brodeur and Roy. Fourth all time in playoff wins (90) behind Roy, Brodeur, and Fuhr.

Not easy to be good for so long, even if he's been fortunate to play on good teams.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Its easy to rack up wins when you play with 2 of the top 3 players of your era for a very long time.

That's true - but it's even easier to lose your job as a #1 goalie in this league. He's been a #1 goalie everywhere he's gone (mostly) for a very long time, and is piling up some very impressive career numbers.
He was a very key contributor to 2 stanley cups.

And his resurgence in Vegas is spectacular. He was spectacular in year 1 with Vegas - I think he had close to a 950 sv% through 3 rounds in playoffs. And - people kept saying he never won the Vezina which was a valid criticism, but he just won one last year at age 36.

Jonathan Quick is having a very good career.
Marc Andre Fleury will make a hall of fame. He's had the better career

Reactions: RSPens

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
If Fleury doesn’t have those playoff collapses in the early 10’s he easily wins this.

That said, I’d still take his career purely because of the Vegas era.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Quick had a better peak undoubtedly but MAF's career has aged better.

Overall, I'd rather have MAF's career if it was me personally. More prolonged success.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That's true - but it's even easier to lose your job as a #1 goalie in this league. He's been a #1 goalie everywhere he's gone (mostly) for a very long time, and is piling up some very impressive career numbers.
He was a very key contributor to 2 stanley cups.

And his resurgence in Vegas is spectacular. He was spectacular in year 1 with Vegas - I think he had close to a 950 sv% through 3 rounds in playoffs. And - people kept saying he never won the Vezina which was a valid criticism, but he just won one last year at age 36.

Jonathan Quick is having a very good career.
Marc Andre Fleury will make a hall of fame. He's had the better career

Was he though? He played decent in 2009 + 2017 but he was never one of the most important guys on the team.

Case in point - Pens consistently play like crap in the playoffs as soon as Murray takes over they go and win a cup.

Reactions: Paul4587

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Switch Quick and Fleury and the Pens have more than 3 cups. Context is everything when evaluating goalies and it’s not used enough by many in Fleury evaluations.

If the question is "who was the better goalie" maybe your hypothetical would have a bit more merit. But since this is about better career - I don't think it really means much.

"Mario Lemieux could have done better than Gretzky with health and if he was on the Oilers". Well - maybe, but he didn't, and his career is behind Gretzky's. Pretty cut and dry

Fleury has had the better career.

Was he though? He played decent in 2009 + 2017 but he was never one of the most important guys on the team.

Case in point - Pens consistently play like crap in the playoffs as soon as Murray takes over they go and win a cup.

Saying he played "decent" in 2009 and 2017 is underselling him I think. He was really great in 2009, and he was probably the MVP for the Pens in the first half of the 2017 playoffs. He was really great there as well - but yes they gave Murray the nets back after.

But yes - he also had some very bad playoff stretches outside of those years which hurt him. Overall career value and results still put him ahead of Quick

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If the question is "who was the better goalie" maybe your hypothetical would have a bit more merit. But since this is about better career - I don't think it really means much.

"Mario Lemieux could have done better than Gretzky with health and if he was on the Oilers". Well - maybe, but he didn't, and his career is behind Gretzky's. Pretty cut and dry

Fleury has had the better career.

Saying he played "decent" in 2009 and 2017 is underselling him I think. He was really great in 2009, and he was probably the MVP for the Pens in the first half of the 2017 playoffs. He was really great there as well - but yes they gave Murray the nets back after.

But yes - he also had some very bad playoff stretches outside of those years which hurt him. Overall career value and results still put him ahead of Quick

In 2009 out of goalies who played at least 10 games he was 6th in GAA (barely above 7th place Ward and 8th place Khabibulin) SV% he was 7th, only ahead of Khabibulin. He let in 16 more goals than Osgood, despite playing only one more game.

In 2017 he was 7th in GAA, barely ahead of Gibson and 5th in SV%, just a smidgen ahead of Gibson+Anderson, tied with Talbot. He let in the 4th most goals, everyone ahead of him played 1 more game (Gibson), Rinne (7) and Anderson (4).

I don't think saying he was decent is underselling him. He was middle of the pack both years (interesting to note that they sandwiched his God awful 2010-2015 stretch)

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
MAF has 1.5 Cups

He rode pine all of the 2017 run and had 1 win in the ECF and Finals combined in 2016

Same argument for MAF's gold medal. And he only got his first Vezina nomination last year (EDIT: people were calling him a HOF lock before last season). I love his Vegas redemption story. And I've always rooted for him - and liked him as a personality. He didn't deserve the hate he caught at times. But so many of the accolades he has are team-driven, I can't rate him above some of his other peers (gaudy Wins and Cup numbers aside).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
In 2009 out of goalies who played at least 10 games he was 6th in GAA (barely above 7th place Ward and 8th place Khabibulin) SV% he was 7th, only ahead of Khabibulin. He let in 16 more goals than Osgood, despite playing only one more game.

In 2017 he was 7th in GAA, barely ahead of Gibson and 5th in SV%, just a smidgen ahead of Gibson+Anderson, tied with Talbot. He let in the 4th most goals, everyone ahead of him played 1 more game (Gibson), Rinne (7) and Anderson (4).

I don't think saying he was decent is underselling him. He was middle of the pack both years (interesting to note that they sandwiched his God awful 2010-2015 stretch)

Fleury was great in 08 though. Has the 2017 run. And then the 2018 run with Vegas. Plus the Vezina year.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'm a huge Fleury fan and think he got shafted by Pittsburgh and Vegas, but that said I'm taking Quick and its not close. Quick was robbed of a Vezina in 2012, was arguably LA's best player from 2012-14, and was phenomenal even when they were going 1 and done in the playoffs too.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I'm a huge Fleury fan and think he got shafted by Pittsburgh and Vegas, but that said I'm taking Quick and its not close. Quick was robbed of a Vezina in 2012, was arguably LA's best player from 2012-14, and was phenomenal even when they were going 1 and done in the playoffs too.
Robbed? Quick wasn't robbed, Lundqvist had just as great of a season as Quick had and they were pretty much neck in neck in all advanced stats as well.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Fleury won a Vezina in his peak. Quick didn’t.

I hate Fleury and was a big fan and saw a ton of the prime Kings, but Fleury is better peak and career.

As if winning a Vezina means he had a higher peak. What about the Conn Smythe? What about riding the pine in two of the three Cup wins?

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad