Career empty net goals?

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
Does anyone have a website that shows career empty net goals? I am trying to settle a bet between Gretzky and Lemieux and Percentage of career empty net goals. Any help would really be appreciated.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Does anyone have a website that shows career empty net goals? I am trying to settle a bet between Gretzky and Lemieux and Percentage of career empty net goals. Any help would really be appreciated.

Just wait a sec until pnep is here. ^^

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Just on a sidenote,

Its ridiculous that the NHL site doesn't have this kind of stuff.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
wow this is a hard one to answer but i have a partial answer.

i have the Hockey News April 8th,1994 edition which has a 20 page supliment celebrating Gretzky's 802 goals.it lists every one of 802 goals he had scored up to that point in his career.it lists every opposing goalie too.according to THN ,Gretzky
scored 46 empty net goals out of his 802.so Gretzky has at least 46 empty netters.hope that helps with out.

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
wow this is a hard one to answer but i have a partial answer.

i have the Hockey News April 8th,1994 edition which has a 20 page supliment celebrating Gretzky's 802 goals.it lists every one of 802 goals he had scored up to that point in his career.it lists every opposing goalie too.according to THN ,Gretzky
scored 46 empty net goals out of his 802.so Gretzky has at least 46 empty netters.hope that helps with out.

It does! Part of the bet had a person claiming wayne scored 30 plus empty netters in his record breaking 92 goal season. This seems highly unlikely.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
It does! Part of the bet had a person claiming wayne scored 30 plus empty netters in his record breaking 92 goal season. This seems highly unlikely.

You bet it is. The Oilers would beat teams by scores of like 8-2, 6-0, 10-4 ect.

I dont even think the Oilers even played 30 games that were close enough for the opposition to pull the goalie.

If I were you I would bet a c-note against your buddy.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Is your friend named chooch?

Gretzky had 55 career empty net goals http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nhl/news/1999/08/25/gretzky2_stats/

The idea that he scored 30 empty netters in one season is completely ridiculous.

At the time of his first retirement in 1997, Lemieux had 29 http://www.nhl.com/lemieux/historystat.html
That's not counting whatever he got after his comeback in 2000-01.

Last edited:

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Gretzky had more ENG than Mario, probably because Mario's teams in the 80s weren't as good and thus would never have the one or two goal lead needed to get a chance for an empty netter.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Gretzky had more ENG than Mario, probably because Mario's teams in the 80s weren't as good and thus would never have the one or two goal lead needed to get a chance for an empty netter.
I think it probably has more to do with games played. Looking at it in terms of games played divided by empty net goals you get these results..

27.7 - Mario
27.0 - Gretzky

Meaning that Mario scored an empty net goal every 27.7 games for his career while Gretzky did it every 27.0 games, so essentially they produced EN goals at the same pace.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I've never understood why an empty net goal is treated like a freebie. I mean its hard to do that as well. First off you have to be good enough to have the coach put you out there in the dying minutes of the game. Second, sometimes an empty net goal is the most important goal of the game. Last time I checked the other team doesnt just surrender and let you do it either. I could be wrong on this but Martin St. Louis had 6 empty netters in '04. That would be 6/38 of his goals were empty netters. IMO there's nothing wrong with that

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Anyone know the single-season and career records for empty net goals? I'd be highly surprised if anyone got close to 30 EN goals in a season.

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
If 55 of Gretzky's of 894 regular season goals were empty netters that's a percentage of 6.15%

6.15% of 92 goals is 5.658 so I would guess that in 1981-82 Gretzky probably scored 6 empty netters during that season. Give or take 1 or 2. :)

Diamond Joe

Apr 7, 2007
Toronto, ON
I've never understood why an empty net goal is treated like a freebie. I mean its hard to do that as well. First off you have to be good enough to have the coach put you out there in the dying minutes of the game. Second, sometimes an empty net goal is the most important goal of the game. Last time I checked the other team doesnt just surrender and let you do it either. I could be wrong on this but Martin St. Louis had 6 empty netters in '04. That would be 6/38 of his goals were empty netters. IMO there's nothing wrong with that

Well you could always score from your own end but in most cases an empty net goal is shorthanded as well.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

It's safe to assume that empty-net goals are almost always scored in games with a two- or three-goal margin of victory. (It's not impossible, technically, to score an empty-net goal in a loss, or in a blowout win, but it's extremely unlikely). The Oilers had 23 two- or three-goal wins in 1982, so suggesting that Gretzky scored 30 empty-net goals is clearly unreasonable.

During the 1982 season, Gretzky scored less than 25% of the team's total goals. Even if we assume that the Oilers scored one EN goal in every single two- or three-goal win, he would be expected to have 23 * 0.25 = 6 empty net goals that season.

Master_Of_Districts

Apr 9, 2007
Black Ruthenia
It's safe to assume that empty-net goals are almost always scored in games with a two- or three-goal margin of victory. (It's not impossible, technically, to score an empty-net goal in a loss, or in a blowout win, but it's extremely unlikely). The Oilers had 23 two- or three-goal wins in 1982, so suggesting that Gretzky scored 30 empty-net goals is clearly unreasonable.

During the 1982 season, Gretzky scored less than 25% of the team's total goals. Even if we assume that the Oilers scored one EN goal in every single two- or three-goal win, he would be expected to have 23 * 0.25 = 6 empty net goals that season.

This reminds me of something that I was thinking about a while ago.

Has any player ever scored any empty net goal in a losing cause?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad