OT: Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Whatever options you end up pursuing, never put your career ahead of yourself. Try to avoid careers that are likely to make your non-work relationships suffer (unfortunately this is unavoidable with many high paying jobs). Don't let anyone's preconceptions about what you should or shouldn't "do with your life" cloud your reflection on what it is that YOU want to spend your time on.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
I'm going to give a somewhat different perspective; take it with an appropriately sized grain of salt.

Employment is a two way street. You're going to spend a significant portion of your life at work. Your time is valuable too.

One thing that I always like to see from interview candidates is some amount of introspection. I expect you to be interviewing us just like we're interviewing you. In addition to raw skills, I want to assess whether or not we're a good match. Having some sort of idea of what you're looking for, what is important to you, what you like, and what you don't like is a major plus.

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's been touched upon and keeping an open mind is super important.

You never know what you'll end up doing and it might be great, so don't get tunnel vision for one thing. You guys remember the blog. I was doing that for a bit and trying to break into journalism (I majored in English with a heavy focus on analytical writing). But even though I was enjoying that, I still wanted another plan just in case so I started advertising to start my own tutoring/freelance business. I tutor writing, I do freelance editing, and I do freelance typewriting (More on that later). That was the backup plan initially but ended up taking off and that's what I do now.

And here's another important thing to remember: nobody hired me to blog. Nobody hired me to tutor. I just did it. You don't need a "job, job" to make a living. Go out, do the legwork, and find a way to monetize your skills on your own. Working for yourself can be great. If I'm not feeling good, I don't go in. I hate getting up at 6am, so I start later. I hate working Fridays, so I don't work Fridays. I want a vacation? I take one. I'm not saying you abuse it and never work, but it's just nice, every now and then, to not have to get on your knees and ask a boss to do something.

That said, there's downsides to working for yourself. There's no benefits so you have to worry about healthcare and retirement on your own. Also, hours change per the needs of your clients, so getting in a routine is impossible.

That's why -and this goes back to keeping an open mind- I have other options in mind in case I decide I don't want to freelance for the rest of my life. More conventional 9-5 stuff. That's where the typewriting field comes in, and this is good for all my English majors. Basically, anybody who does any kind of work needs **** written down and nobody wants to do it. So I've done this on a freelance basis. I've had people come to me for terms and conditions. I've had people writing books who wants me to supply blurbs and intros to each chapter (which you get credited for). I even had a lawyer who told me he was tired of reading legal books, so he had me read them and write up easy-to-read summaries. That was a lucrative project, let me tell you. But you can also do typewriting in a "9-5" setting. Hospitals, businesses, major websites, and law firms have **** frerakin tons of paperwork - invoices, legal ****, forms, disclaimers- and they hire people like me to do that. That would be going to an office and having a boss. A real "job" should I decide to go that route. Basically I'd get paid -pretty ****ing decent money too- to show up and do paperwork. Doesn't sound exciting I know, but hey it's good money and it's easy for me. That's the real American dream - get paid to do something that doesn't kill you. Doesn't have to be glamorous; doesn't have to be a dream job.

Also, keep in mind that there's good jobs out there, that aren't necessarily what you went to school for, that are still good. My cousin is in a field where all you have to do is pass a test and have a degree. He would help me with the test. Has nothing to do with writing, but hey, 35 bucks an hour, union rights, and full benefits. Plus I wouldn't absolutely hate it, which again, is the whole key.

So to summarize

1)Be open-minded

2)You don't need a boss, an office, or a schedule to monetize your skills

3)It doesn't need to be your field necessarily

4)Always have another plan. Not every job works out.

5)It doesn't need to be a dream job. Even at jobs we like we all have days we don't wanna go to work. That's part of life. Your family and your hobbies are really what's important. Just get something that you can tolerate that doesn't take away from your family and your hobbies. DON'T DO SOMETHING YOU HATE. But it doesn't need to be the world's most exciting job.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Is LinkedIn really useful for anyone? I have one but I haven't spent a lot of time on it.

Ultimately it depends on how open you are to headhunters / recruiters. I get a lot of that on there. Beyond that it's just a tool I can use to keep up with former coworkers who aren't in my usual social circle, or check and see if I know anyone at a company that one of my interviewees has on their resume.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Network and keep at it. But do have a plan. Educate yourself on the company when you go in for an Interview. Show investment. When I got my stint managing a team in Dallas it was what I learned and knew about the company and economic status that got me in. Definitely have an open mind to back ups and alternate ways to fulfill your plan or goal. We Gotchu fam

Hell im applying for A few different positions in Amtrak now.

Staxgod90

New Season New Dream
May 31, 2011
Westchester,NY
(feel free to DM me if this gets locked)

Nerd!

Can you supply any more info? Location? What type of company you want to work for?

Look into:

Hedge funds
Start up companies

and a low-key area to look into would be ad agencies, who(m?) are relying more and more on digital data every day (the pay won't be great here, I know from experience).

farley.png

mind if I DM you too? same position as OP essentially

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I echo strongly what all 3 of these great posters have said.

An internship is huge. Networking is just as important. When I was a senior in college I was applying for every internship possible, going to every networking meeting, took free interview prep courses late in the evening twice a week, etc.

Do everything you can. Not sure how spiffy your LinkedIn profile is but create one if you haven't, start connecting with professors and other students. LinkedIn isn't what it was a few years ago but it is still useful. Also, get some letters of recommendation from your professors.

Also, I can't stress it enough so I will repeat myself. NETWORK. You will realize that it isn't what you know, it is who you know.

If you need any help just shoot me a PM. I would be happy to give you much more in depth advice.

The problem is colleges don't teach you how to realistically network. It's not just adding folks to LinkedIn. It's going to trade meetings. It's going to company meetings that are public. It's joining trade groups.

Networking is awesome, but 99% of people don't have a clue how to do it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
By the way, I firmly disagree with any post grad degree that isn't a doctorate in a STEM field being all that useful other than on campus recruiting and networking availability. As someone who went to law school, the only thing useful about it is the access to law firms during OCI. The MBA is the same way. If you don't have top grades, though, you'll likely need work experience to get into a decent place. But I can't disagree enough with the "the MBA is useful for things!" talking point.

By the way, I don't think anyone here has expressed that, but it's just a dinosaur-ish view that seemingly permeates the belief spectrum. Much like the eye test and Girardi. When/if you do go, treat it as a giant networking fest.

I still say the best thing is looking like crazy for summer internships. It's that time of season right now where the programs are really starting to get into gear. There are so many routes you can take in this regard, dude.

I can find out about my company's internship program if you want.

Last edited:

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
As someone a little older who is making a career change:

1) Create a LinkedIn and connect with anyone and everyone you know. Your friend's cousin, your friend's little sister's best friend's cousin. The guy you met at a party in Philly, etc.

2) Learn A Programming Language or Three (Python, C++, SAS, SQL, etc.)

3) Be VERY good at Excel. Pivot Tables, VLookups, Graph, and even some logic functions are all necessary in today's wacky job world

4)Know what's going on with social media and trends. You don't have to be a master but be able to talk the talk.

5) If you have time this summer, get certified in a language or some kind of professional certificate. It'll help you standout.

6) Have a plan when applying to jobs. If you just throw your resume in the ocean of the www, you might have some success, but if you have something specific or an area in mind, it'll help.

7)Practice your interview skills. Not the "Where will you be in five years?" nonsense. But just have a good cold pitch down pat about you and what you're about, and also know the company you're applying to and ask intelligent questions. I interviewed in what would be a dream job over the summer, and I think one of the reasons I didn't get it was because the first of three interviews was only "decent" and if you can't convince someone to like you, it's going to be tough getting a job especially in more competitive markets.

Basically this.

Do you have SQL skills?

What kind of data analysis have you done? I'm not talking hockey fancystats. Have you done any for school assignments/projects?

There are tons of contracts in Charlotte for people who have data analysis skills, but you have to have done something to get noticed.

PM me if you have some of those skills. I may be able to get you pointed in the direction of some people.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
By the way, I firmly disagree with any post grad degree that isn't a doctorate in a STEM field being all that useful other than on campus recruiting and networking availability. As someone who went to law school, the only thing useful about it is the access to law firms during OCI. The MBA is the same way. If you don't have top grades, though, you'll likely need work experience to get into a decent place. But I can't disagree enough with the "the MBA is useful for things!" talking point.

By the way, I don't think anyone here has expressed that, but it's just a dinosaur-ish view that seemingly permeates the belief spectrum. Much like the eye test and Girardi. When/if you do go, treat it as a giant networking fest.

I still say the best thing is looking like crazy for summer internships. It's that time of season right now where the programs are really starting to get into gear. There are so many routes you can take in this regard, dude.

I can find out about my company's internship program if you want.

Agree. An MBA is almost completely worthless in a STEM field, UNLESS, your goal is upper management quickly, and then you really aren't using any of your STEM knowledge anyway.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Is LinkedIn really useful for anyone? I have one but I haven't spent a lot of time on it.

Recruiters find me on there, A LOT, but rarely are the calls and e-mails I get worth anything.

I'm looking to make a move. However, I'm looking for something specific (Full-time with a number), and unfortunately, most of the recruiters are recruiting for contract employment.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Ultimately it depends on how open you are to headhunters / recruiters. I get a lot of that on there. Beyond that it's just a tool I can use to keep up with former coworkers who aren't in my usual social circle, or check and see if I know anyone at a company that one of my interviewees has on their resume.

Yep. As a former recruiter, it is a really open tool. Less and less people are using traditional job searching methods such as job boards. People don't want to post resumes anymore. LinkedIn has become the go to place for companies to seek talent (part of the reason why it is absurdly ****ing expensive to use from a recruiting perspective).

When I was looking to make a career move over the summer, every company that ultimately called me for an interview had viewed me on LinkedIn first.

HG and parts of what Machinehead said really nailed it though.

Networking isn't just adding a ton of people on LinkedIn. It is going to events after hours on campus. It is reaching out to everyone and anyone you know. It is becoming close with your professors, many of which have come from the very field/position you may hope to one day hold. They give great advice. Don't be afraid to leverage some of your friendships. I haven't been shy about it and many of my friends haven't been shy in asking me either.

1)Be open-minded

2)You don't need a boss, an office, or a schedule to monetize your skills

3)It doesn't need to be your field necessarily

4)Always have another plan. Not every job works out.

5)It doesn't need to be a dream job. Even at jobs we like we all have days we don't wanna go to work. That's part of life. Your family and your hobbies are really what's important. Just get something that you can tolerate that doesn't take away from your family and your hobbies. DON'T DO SOMETHING YOU HATE. But it doesn't need to be the world's most exciting job.

MH is absolutely right with the above. I don't mean to sound like a sadistic ***** but the reality of you getting your absolute dream job... it is slim. Very slim. I am not saying to not go for it. Just don't be disappointed if you end up in a field or position that is very far from what you envisioned.

What is important is fulfillment. Fulfillment can turn great careers into bad ones and bad careers into great ones. I have first hand experience with this in both directions. If you end up in something far from what you wanted but you are utilized well, growing your career and have a good home work life balance, that is more important than anything.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
By the way, if anyone thinks networking is easy, they are doing it wrong and are stupid. You should avoid taking advice from those people. Networking is a pain in the ass. It can be fun if you enjoy going to all kinds of events and really being an extrovert, though. But even then it's still a pain in the ass.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Recruiters find me on there, A LOT, but rarely are the calls and e-mails I get worth anything.

I'm looking to make a move. However, I'm looking for something specific (Full-time with a number), and unfortunately, most of the recruiters are recruiting for contract employment.

The job market is just utter ****.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Yeah it's kinda crazy how brazen they are about asking you to downgrade your position. "Hey, I see you're a lead with your company and are full time. Are you interested in downgrading to junior level for six months with this other company?"

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The job market is just utter ****.

I don't think schools do enough to stress this.

The job market is truly terrible right now, especially for professionals. There's such a huge focus on low paying ELPs with minimal growth, it's basically all the jobs that my fellow graduates got out of school. The financial market especially is just so saturated with thousands of kids that all have identical qualifications. One of my old classmates came in 2nd place in the CFA Institute challenge and had one of the most decorated resumes in the school and it took him until the month of his graduation to get an offer. I gave up trying to force myself into something I hate and just did something different, and I had a really good resume.

Learn excel, like, now. It's so valuable, having skill in PivotTable alone will get you at least 2 interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad