Cardio workouts.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
I seriously hate using a stationary bike, but I still do it, and more than the stationary bike I hate running.

What are some other routines that are good for cardio, or am I damned to this stationary bike? I have nowhere to inline skate (not until I get another car, at least), so that's ruled out.

If I can get away from the stationary bike, are there any muscles vital for hockey that deadlifts and calf raises wouldn't work that a stationary bike would?

Thanks for the pending answers, dudes.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Sock said:
I seriously hate using a stationary bike, but I still do it, and more than the stationary bike I hate running.

What are some other routines that are good for cardio, or am I damned to this stationary bike? I have nowhere to inline skate (not until I get another car, at least), so that's ruled out.

If I can get away from the stationary bike, are there any muscles vital for hockey that deadlifts and calf raises wouldn't work that a stationary bike would?

Try the row machine and some swimming. Awesome cardio and some of the best exercises you can do. Jumping rope really gets the heart rate up. If you're in the right mood (need to vent some anger) try hitting the heavy bag at the gym... harder than it looks.

Oh, and don't forget some of the most fun cardio can be done in bed!

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
My wife is a trainer and she endorses running or walking. Both are load bearing exercises that will help build bone density WHILE improving your aerobic conditioning. 3 times a week, 30 minute minimum. Everything else (swimming, biking, eliptical, rowing, in line) is considered low impact and should only be used to supplement your aerobic conditioning. Weight lifting is never considered an aerobic activity.

I run 3 days a week (minimum) and do something else on alternate days. Occasionally I will take a day off but not often. This past week I ran 4 times (about 20 miles) did stairs twice (1 hour sessions) and swam once (2 miles). As soon as warm weather hits, I'm on my bike. Mix it up. You'll enjoy it a lot more.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sock said:

Jumping rope is the best form of cardio you can do.

Most people can't jump rope for more than a few minutes at a time, until they are in really good shape.

So get yourself a jump rope, and combine it with the bike.

Do 3 minute intervals. Jump rope for 3 minutes, then ride the bike hard for 3 minutes.

Do about 5 sets. Then increase the time as your endurance increases.

If you are 5'10 or under get a 9 foot jump rope..if you are taller get a 10 foot rope.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Icer said:
My wife is a trainer and she endorses running or walking. Both are load bearing exercises that will help build bone density WHILE improving your aerobic conditioning. 3 times a week, 30 minute minimum. Everything else (swimming, biking, eliptical, rowing, in line) is considered low impact and should only be used to supplement your aerobic conditioning. Weight lifting is never considered an aerobic activity.

I run 3 days a week (minimum) and do something else on alternate days. Occasionally I will take a day off but not often. This past week I ran 4 times (about 20 miles) did stairs twice (1 hour sessions) and swam once (2 miles). As soon as warm weather hits, I'm on my bike. Mix it up. You'll enjoy it a lot more.

If you circuit train with weights, that is considered aerobic.

MiZZZike*

"I seriously hate using a stationary bike, but I still do it, and more than the stationary bike I hate running."

I think your my twin, I hate both too. For running I don't do long distances but do 100-yard sprints at about 85%. You don't get the mindless long distance stuff.

As for stationary bike, I do random intervals, usually going either lowest to highest or low, high, lower, higher (i.e. setting 1, 2, 3, 2, 4, 3, 5, etc.) by the minute or 30-seconds, it makes the time go by faster.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Icer said:

Does Evgeny Malkin know about this?

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Jumping rope is always good. But what always helps me is sprinting. Sure it's tough, but it's waay better than running long distance, and it will help you if you play other sports as well.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Hockey is an an-aerobic sport. Most PHD's will tell you you don't need to do cardio like a runner to play hockey. You need short burst, powerful muscles designed for 2 minute shifts followed by 4 minutes sitting on the bench. I can take long shifts in hockey and not be that tired but you get me to jog and I feel like I'm an old man.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sock said:
Jumping rope sounds good, I'll give that a go. If that doesn't give me the results I want I'll probably start running one day then getting on the stationary bike the next.

Try to stick with jumping rope, it really is the best form of cardio you can do.

I used to run long distance, run hills, cross country ski, etc.

I started jumping rope last Summer after finding out how boxers swear by it.

It has made me more explosive, and I find that I rarely hunch over on the ice during breaks anymore to catch my breathe.

I always have that extra gear now to backcheck, even at the end of a shift.

I think if you stick with it, you will get the results you are looking for.

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
If you circuit train with weights, that is considered aerobic.

Here's an article by www.bodybuilding.com on the subject. Circuit training may technically qualify as a low form of aerobic activity but every trainer I've ever talked to, including my wife, said it SHOULD NOT replace a regular aerobic workout.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
what I've done is

Sock said:
Jumping rope sounds good, I'll give that a go. If that doesn't give me the results I want I'll probably start running one day then getting on the stationary bike the next.

on the elipitical machine is I've tried to ensure that I have approx. 200 or more reveloutions per minute.

After a 45 minute session I try to have approx. 12,000 revoloutions. It keeps the heart rate up and while I'm trying to make sure that I'm keeping this pace going I forget the time and I'm usually done before I realize it.

Also, on the treadmill, full inclince at 3.5 speed, the cardio that you get from that is awesome as well as the burn you feel in the thighs, shins and calfs.

have fun

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Sock said:

squats + deadlifts + 1 rep explosion press (*) + jumping squats = lots of speed...

*(leg press if you train with someone else, get the weight down in position, then press it with lots of power, one super quick rep and close the safety clamps before the weight kills you)

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Icer said:

100% true

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
The shorter explosive stuff will be much better for you. I quit hockey when I was about 16 to focus on my track career. I run over 100km a week for a few years now, but when I get back on the ice, my aerobic power doesn't give me any jump at all. But, when I've been doing a lot of speed work and it's the middle of the track season, I play better than I ever have. Then I get in **** for playing hockey during the season! I would even suggest 50-60m hill repeats if you're fit enough, which I assume you are. They're fun, and quick, the entire workout including warm up and cool down only takes like 45 minutes. It'll also help your quads and hip flexors.

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
Jumping rope is great. The only problem is that it's very difficult to maintain that intensity for 30 minutes.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Icer said:
Here's an article by www.bodybuilding.com on the subject. Circuit training may technically qualify as a low form of aerobic activity but every trainer I've ever talked to, including my wife, said it SHOULD NOT replace a regular aerobic workout.

15-30 seconds rest between exercises was taken and three circuits were performed

You don't rest when you circuit train properly.

If people where resting between exercises, that isn't pure circuit training.

My X-g/f also used to be a personal trainer and I know several trainers, and they all told me pure circuit training can replace other forms of cardio.

If you move from one exercise to the next without resting, you can't get a much better cardio workout than that.

Cardio also can eat away muscle, so if you are trying to bulk up, doing too much cardio will hurt you.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
Cardio also can eat away muscle, so if you are trying to bulk up, doing too much cardio will hurt you.

True.

I tried jumping rope today... that didnt last long, it kicked my ***.

squats + deadlifts + 1 rep explosion press (*) + jumping squats = lots of speed...

This sounds interesting enough for me to try. I have been looking to get faster

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Reaper45 said:
Also, I don't know if anyone else does it, but I jump rope with a weighted vest, it helps a lot.
Where do you get weighted vests?

Anyways, I did a lot of boxing so I'm used to jump rope. Its a very good exercice if you do it right, meaning the two feet jumps you do as a kid is not the way to go. Use your wrists and do little jumps that look almost like you're jogging. Its tough at first but after 2-3 weeks you should start seeing some good results, in other words, you'll be able to do more then 30 secs every time.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Grave77digger said:
This sounds interesting enough for me to try. I have been looking to get faster

Sure. Do the jumping squat with no additional weight at the end of your workout. 30 sec with 60 sec rest, do it like 3 time in a row.

All I can say is that I always worked out and I skated for the first time at 18 years old. The first time I put on skates, I was the fastest on the ice because of that. However, I knew how to skate because I skated in-line occasionally when I was 12-16 years old (like 3 times per week in the summer).

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Habsaku said:
Where do you get weighted vests?

Anyways, I did a lot of boxing so I'm used to jump rope. Its a very good exercice if you do it right, meaning the two feet jumps you do as a kid is not the way to go. Use your wrists and do little jumps that look almost like you're jogging. Its tough at first but after 2-3 weeks you should start seeing some good results, in other words, you'll be able to do more then 30 secs every time.

You can get weighted vests at any online exercise equipment store.

http://www.weightvest.com/weightedvest3.html

Or if you have a backpack, just put in 10 lb plates and use that.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Grave77digger said:
True.

I tried jumping rope today... that didnt last long, it kicked my ***.

I was in great shape last Summer when I first started, but I could only do a minute or so. So don't feel badly.

The main problem is that I was using a 9 foot rope and I am over 6 foot.

So keep in mind that if you are over 5'10 it is important to get a 10 ft rope.

Just stick to it and you will build up the endurance.

My mom used to do it for 20-30 mins straight when she was my age, ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad