NFL: Cardinals hire Jonathan Gannon as head coach

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Year 1 will be tough without Kyler. Focus on the Defence, his side of the ball.

Good luck working so the a guy who is not committed to his craft.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Depending on who he hires, this doesn't strike me as a move made under consideration of the quarterback who was involved in the process. Especially considering he's not going to be healthy to begin the year.

I think Gardner Minshew enters the chat.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
cards fans don't seem too thrilled about this hire given what happened a few days ago, but let's not forget how good philly's defense was during the regular season

will be interesting to see how he and kyler mesh

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
cards fans don't seem too thrilled about this hire given what happened a few days ago, but let's not forget how good philly's defense was during the regular season

will be interesting to see how he and kyler mesh
I think it depends on if he's going to be the coach, or the CEO, because he probably has a better shot at the latter.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yeah this feels like situation in which they settled for guy because of lack of interest from other potential candidates and fact they have to pay $ for coming years to Kingsbury

If I was owner of Cards my interest would have died at conclusion of SB

Going to guess that in 2 years Gannon is out as HC and Cards are back to being bottom feeder

Reactions: DaaaaB's

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah this feels like situation in which they settled for guy because of lack of interest from other potential candidates and fact they have to pay $ for coming years to Kingsbury

If I was owner of Cards my interest would have died at conclusion of SB

Going to guess that in 2 years Gannon is out as HC and Cards are back to being bottom feeder
Gannon is in for a tough season. No Kyler for the first half of the season at least. I would guess his main focus is going to be on the Defence and like Saleh, Daboll getting his side down pact first then worry about the O when Murray returns. AZ is tied to Kyler for 2023 and 2024. It is a $33 mill dead cap hit to move off him after the 2024 season. If the Cards end up at the bottom this upcoming season, I can see them opting to draft a QB and move off the non committed Kyler.

Kyler is an $81 mill dead cap hit in 2024. His 2024 is base salary of $37 million and Option of $7.2 mill is guaranteed, so that would be included as part of the $81 mill dead cap charge. If they are that bad in 2023 and are in position to draft a QB, I'd do that and trade Murray and eat a $40 million or whatever dead cap charge in 2024 for him to move on with a new QB.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Untitled.png

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
This seems like an underwhelming hire to me, which is very on brand for the Cardinals.
yeah.. The Cards' 21st century coaching lineup has been pretty sad. Steve Wilks.. Dave McGinnis, Denny Green (as he was on his way out of the NFL), etc.
Arians & Whisenhunt had some good runs, but..
I'm kinda surprised Clueless Hue Jackson never ended up in Arizona.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad