NFL: Cardinals fire Kliff Kingsbury, Steve Keim steps down

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Even for a guy who failed up, did better than he had a right to.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
It really is amazing that the Cards have been able to pull of such long term ineptitude, Even the Browns had a few decades where they were good to great, it almost seems like the Cards just accidentally have 2-3 winning seasons every so often and revert back to being a mess

Someone once dubbed them the "retirement" franchise. Guys like Warner, Watt, Suggs etc go there in the late stages of their career and maybe get them to a playoff appearance but there's never any continuity there.

Does Kliff go back to the NCAA?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Someone once dubbed them the "retirement" franchise. Guys like Warner, Watt, Suggs etc go there in the late stages of their career and maybe get them to a playoff appearance but there's never any continuity there.

Does Kliff go back to the NCAA?
Probably has to wait a year. That or he does the coaching rehab thing, which is go be offensive coordinator for Nick Saban.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Probably has to wait a year. That or he does the coaching rehab thing, which is go be offensive coordinator for Nick Saban.

I'd sit out and just force the Cards to pay me, they are counting on a new gig to offset what they owe him I would guess, so just go coach your kids or nephews team or something for free

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Impressive that no coach has lasted more than 6 seasons when we are talking about a 100 year old franchise. In the early days it seemed like any half decent coach would have his job for at least 8-10 years.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
FmC6BbEXEAILXbE

Must be nice to be in your early 40’s and get paid 6M a year the next 4 years to not work

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It really is amazing that the Cards have been able to pull of such long term ineptitude, Even the Browns had a few decades where they were good to great, it almost seems like the Cards just accidentally have 2-3 winning seasons every so often and revert back to being a mess

No kidding. Just in the last 15 years They had the Warner years with the Super Bowl run, then sucked, then the Palmer/Arians years.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
With Keim and Kingsbury gone, could the organization move on from Murray?
don't see that happening

and i can't imagine any notable coaching names to want this job. they'll go the cheap route and just promote one of the coordinators

Reactions: Romang67

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Theres $160 million reasons why they wont.
They could cut him after June 1st and have $50M in dead cap the first season and ~$30M the second year, which wouldn't exactly be a death sentence for a team looking at a rebuild. Or trade him.

Both very unlikely, I agree. But given that the people in the room who really liked him and signed him to that contract are gone, and his documented questionable work ethic, I don't think its impossible if a big name coach doesn't like Murray.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They could cut him after June 1st and have $50M in dead cap the first season and ~$30M the second year, which wouldn't exactly be a death sentence for a team looking at a rebuild. Or trade him.

Both very unlikely, I agree. But given that the people in the room who really liked him and signed him to that contract are gone, and his documented questionable work ethic, I don't think its impossible if a big name coach doesn't like Murray.

Except for the owner.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd sit out and just force the Cards to pay me, they are counting on a new gig to offset what they owe him I would guess, so just go coach your kids or nephews team or something for free
Kliff I can see taking time off vs do what Rhule did and jump back into it right away.

Next question for Kliff is ncaa or nfl OC for next role? Ncaa has changed with NIL and transfer portal. So that’s not something he had to deal with at TT.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think it would be as hard to move on from Kyler in a vacuum as people think.

QB play in the league as a whole right now is kind of in the shitter and there's easily a handful of teams where Kyler is an upgrade to what they have:

Colts (assuming they don't move up to take one of Stroud or Young)
Jets
Raiders
Saints
Commanders

And then there's a second tier of teams that have a guy, but maybe aren't happy with him like the Patriots or Titans where a move isn't that farfetched.

The ACL injury definitely complicates things though, hence why I said in a vacuum

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think it would be as hard to move on from Kyler in a vacuum as people think.

QB play in the league as a whole right now is kind of in the shitter and there's easily a handful of teams where Kyler is an upgrade to what they have:

Colts (assuming they don't move up to take one of Stroud or Young)
Jets
Raiders
Saints
Commanders

And then there's a second tier of teams that have a guy, but maybe aren't happy with him like the Patriots or Titans where a move isn't that farfetched.

The ACL injury definitely complicates things though, hence why I said in a vacuum
He just finished year 4 of his rookie and signed an extension. Issue is always the dead money on the cap depending on the structure of the contract.

If the deal hasn’t actually kicked in yet they probably have a window to move him out. So long as they didn’t pay him like $50 mill in SB already.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That's wild the franchise has been around a century and they've never had a coach last more than 6 seasons.

Kliff should have never gotten that extension anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,050.00