OT: Cardel Homes - Rear facing garage

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
This thread is WAY OT.

Cardel is building a few homes in Ottawa with a rear facing garage.
To my knowledge, it's new to Ottawa. At least I've never seen them.

The garage is about 3 ft off the street, and there is no lane way.
From what I understand, it's pretty popular in Calgary.

There's no models that I can see in Ottawa, so I'm looking for feedback from people that may have these types of homes.

What are the positives/negative? Any help would be great.

Thanks!

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Detached garages I assume? Well I had one, I used to work for cardel actually. Anyway, I like detached more, because if you have a garage at the front, it wastes a lot of your property. With detached, you get a bigger back yard. Front yards are kind of useless IMO.

Anyway, they are good. It allows the house to have a much more open layout. Just got to see what your access is like I guess.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
I have never seen a house like that in Calgary, and I used to work for some of the big builders as well (Morrison and Albi Homes), but according to my parents they used to have attached garages from the back 25-30 years ago. I guess some benefits is that you have a full front of the house, utilizing the lot the best way possible, and I guess you would have a bit more privacy if you desire it. I can't think of any real negatives, since the concept of an attached garage from the back is alien to me.

Trae

Calgary
I've lived in Calgary all my life and I'm having a hard time picturing what you're describing...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
a quick google search I came up with a floor plan like this. the page its from says the attached rear garage design is for narrower lots where there is no room for a garage on the side.

46980-1L.gif

ReNeGaDe87

Comfortably Numb
Jun 10, 2012
Burkeville AB
interesting layout.... I have a narrow infill with a detached garage facing into the back lane... yard between the house and garage. I cant see how this would work if you had yards at all

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Yea I'm all for a big yard. That's why I sold my cardel home and bought in Bridgland. Anyway, all attached garages will take up useful space. Detached can be bad too if there isn't a proper back alley or the yard is really narrow.

Not sure I would buy that layout but it's just me. Good luck.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
a quick google search I came up with a floor plan like this. the page its from says the attached rear garage design is for narrower lots where there is no room for a garage on the side.

46980-1L.gif

Yes, that's the concept.
There is no driveway...just about 3 feet to the sidewalk, and about 8 more feet to the street.

The concept is to have homeowners park both cars in the garage. And leave the street empty, which gives the area a tidier look. This the 1st attempt in Ottawa, and if the city likes it, they will be using this model from now on.

There is no parking allowed on the street that the garage faces.
Your yard is essentially on the side and only faces one neighbor, which gives a lot of privacy.

I was hoping to reach a few people who live in these homes, to see what type of negative things I'm overlooking. One of my biggest concerns is down the road when my child is older and wants a car. What do I do with a 3rd car?

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Yes, that's the concept.
There is no driveway...just about 3 feet to the sidewalk, and about 8 more feet to the street.

The concept is to have homeowners park both cars in the garage. And leave the street empty, which gives the area a tidier look. This the 1st attempt in Ottawa, and if the city likes it, they will be using this model from now on.

There is no parking allowed on the street that the garage faces.
Your yard is essentially on the side and only faces one neighbor, which gives a lot of privacy.

I was hoping to reach a few people who live in these homes, to see what type of negative things I'm overlooking. One of my biggest concerns is down the road when my child is older and wants a car. What do I do with a 3rd car?
Park it on the street in front of your house, where the people that visit you will park as well.

It won't result in a completely car-free street, just less cars.

And if you can't park on the street in front of your house, that seems unlikely. And there are no neighbourhoods in Calgary that prohibit residential parking.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
I have not seen any rear facing garages here attached.

There are a few of them in Calgary, mainly older areas of the city - for example, Bridgeland and Renfrew have some. I don't know how many anymore, since so many infills are being built in that area these days.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I'm wondering if we don't see many of them due to the building permits needed to construct them and the fact that a lot of the newer communities dont even have back lanes.

Kind of like how there are only a few communities allowed to have 3 storey houses.

I can understand places like Cochrane or Chestemere getting them since they have more space and likely different building permits and regulations.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB

46980-1L.gif

That looks like an infill style home. There are some townhomes in Mattamy in Airdrie that have double attached garages at the rear but they have a lane. And if you buy Mattamy you need to give your head a shake anyway.

Also in Airdrie just off 8th street on the west side on Channelside they have homes that have double detached garages with suites above them. Great income properties but really limits backyard usage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad