News Article: Carbo back in coaching. New League forming.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Gimmick 3 on 3 ice hockey league. :laugh:

I wonder what kind of players will play there. Fast skater with good stamina will be a premium. I wonder if they will poach some of the skilled players from the SPHL, FHL and LNAH?

Maybe even an ECHLer or two.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I wonder what kind of players will play there. Fast skater with good stamina will be a premium. I wonder if they will poach some of the skilled players from the SPHL, FHL and LNAH?

It depends how good the money will be.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I never understood why Carbo never got a job even as an assistant after his head coach tenure with the habs. Am I missing something? Doesn't he have a better record than Mueller?

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

With 6 players you have to be in very good shape. Guys like Alexandre Burrows is perfectly suited for roller hockey.
If you have a bad game, your team is f***ed.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I never understood why Carbo never got a job even as an assistant after his head coach tenure with the habs. Am I missing something? Doesn't he have a better record than Mueller?
The boring but probably accurate answer might just be that he didn't want to coach all that bad to begin with. I don't think he needs it financially and he's got a pretty comfortable job being a talking head on TV with little to no stress. This 3 on 3 thing is probably just something he'll do for fun and won't be a big commitment time wise.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

He was terrible and I said when he was fired he would never get another NHL Head coaching job.

Seriously, the best thing this guy did as a coach was wear a tie.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
He was terrible and I said when he was fired he would never get another NHL Head coaching job.

Seriously, the best thing this guy did as a coach was wear a tie.
Then again you say a lot of things.

I rate him better than Therrien tbh. Had a good record with a patched up team and had a good track record as an assistant.

Now that I recall I remember hearing that he'd only come back as a head coach in the NHL and declined many assistant offers. So I think the door closed on him.

Last edited:

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud

He was a very good player and his teams were pretty successful as a coach. But he was a bad communicator and I think the players didn't like that. In the modern NHL, coaches need to be able to communicate more than ever.

Based on record only, you'd think he was the best coach Habs got in the last 15-20 years. I actually think he was the worst, and just happened to have a good team playing for him, that was also lifted by the momentum of having a new coach with a big name... but that all crumbles when reality set in.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
He was a very good player and his teams were pretty successful as a coach. But he was a bad communicator and I think the players didn't like that. In the modern NHL, coaches need to be able to communicate more than ever.

Based on record only, you'd think he was the best coach Habs got in the last 15-20 years. I actually think he was the worst, and just happened to have a good team playing for him, that was also lifted by the momentum of having a new coach with a big name... but that all crumbles when reality set in.

Meh, I don't think he was worse than your average NHL coach who gets a ton of flack at the end of his tenure. I think Therrien on his second run was the worst and he got fired with the team in 1st place. So yeah, I agree that records don't show the entire picture.

If I remember correctly, Carbo refused an assistant coach gig and refused to coach at lower levels as well. I think that sends worse signals than his tenure with the habs.

Ultimately I think the habs were overachievers under both of those guys, none of those teams could play 5 on 5 hockey. But the media convinced a huge chunk of the fan base that they were much better than what they truly were, and that the coaches ruined everything.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad