Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR/MTL] Canadiens do not match Kotkaniemi offer sheet (1 year, $6.1M), receive 2022 1st, 2022 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Well played Carolina. I take Kota at 6.1 than Dvorak. Surprised as hell Montreal didn’t match.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Habs are ******** idiots, Canes did a risky power move and hit the jackpot!!!
Wow.....i would have never ever thought this could happen...unreal.

Lol. What a rational take.

KK would have to improve to the point of being a completely different player for this to be worth it for the Canes but I'm sure we can trust their fans, their management and their twitter team for a rational and measured evaluation of this situation in the months and years to come.

Hockeym

Dec 4, 2015
Lol. What a rational take.

KK would have to improve to the point of being a completely different player for this to be worth it for the Canes but I'm sure we can trust their fans, their management and their twitter team for a rational and measured evaluation of this situation in the months and years to come.
He must be the kind to look for pennies on the beach with his metal detector , round two mods

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
It’s funny that habs fans can’t admit they got check mated. Carolina would have won no matter what happened, and habs lose either way. But somehow habs fans want to twist it to make it seem like it was a bad move by the canes.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Then no one “schooled” anyone. Montreal already had the player and decided he wasn’t worth keeping. It’s not like Carolina did some deft maneuver that caught Montreal off-guard.
Really? The Habs wasn’t caught off -guard by Carolinas OS?

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Habs are idiots for letting the Canes offer sheet KK in the first place. But not matching was the right call, KK is far from a $6M player as is, although the potential is there.

Oh and shit I gotta change my username.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
KK is not worth 6.1 million
KK is worth more than a 1st and 3rd.

I believe all the above is true, KK has potential to be a 1st line player. I am 100% sure we just looked at his stats and looked at Dvoraks stats and came to a conclusion. I will take a neutral stance here, but this one is a win for Carolina, even if Montreal turns that into a Dvorak.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
It’s funny that habs fans can’t admit they got check mated. Carolina would have won no matter what happened, and habs lose either way. But somehow habs fans want to twist it to make it seem like it was a bad move by the canes.

The Canes are a contending team that just spent $6M and a 1st and 3rd in a deep draft on a 30-point player who has 22 goals in 171 games. We all know the potential is there. But if Kotkaniemi doesn't pan out, the Canes will have spent a 1st and 3rd to get a $6M third liner who falls down a lot. They have to tender a QO at that price to retain him, too. Kotkaniemi could potentially sign in Montreal in 2022.

It's not a good or bad move yet. It's a gamble. How it turns out depends on Kotkaniemi. The Habs on the other hand got a higher floor - lower ceiling player, at a lower AAV. They have derisked their roster.

Personally I think Kotkaniemi pulls it all together over the next 2 seasons, but it's definitely not a sure thing.

Reactions: MaWa and NoelVilla

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
KK 60 point breakout… Habs fans going to upset about losing KK the next 20 years

Bowmen quote will be haunting as he projected a superstar at 24

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

Canes did a calculated risky move and it payed off. I think we have to wait and see if Kotkaniemi signs longern, for what amount and IF he pans out before stating who actually won the OS. As it is now - Kotkaniemi is the one to hit the jackpot. Not Montreal or Carolina

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Bergevin did what he had to do. KK acted as a mercenary, at 21 years old no less. That, after a questionable start to his NHL career. We don't need players like that on our team.

Also, nice attempt at getting 'revenge', Carolina. Better luck next time, bunch of jerks!
Every player in the league is a mercenary if they're offered 3x their normal pay cmon now

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not a lot of freshly 21 year olds have 200 NHL games under their belt. I dunno if I really see him having a ton of potential but he's still got a lot of runway to get better. He hits his stride in Carolina and this could pay off nicely for them.

Risky way to go about acquiring a player for sure. Kotkaniemi seems like the biggest winner here. Gets out of Montreal and gets paid double what he's worth.

Reactions: lawrence

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Ya it’s not uncommon for teams to miss on their draft picks but for Carolina to pay a sub par player 6 mil is terrible money management during a flat cap.
They can afford it. And a question: wasn't the cap always a flat cap?

Last edited:

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I’m in the camp that KK never becomes the player Carolina thinks he will become. It was a ridiculous offer sheet and made no sense for Carolina other than to poach a player from Montreal. Bergevin really screwed up taking KK instead of tkachuk or hughes then he screwed up again by rushing him to the nhl. Montreal has become a circus and bergevin is the luckiest person on earth whose team flukes out a Stanley cup finals appearance. Montreal fans will be sorry that happened as it just solidified bergevin job security as the gm for another 5 years, enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia