Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part IV]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
The only people that jumped ship faster than Montreal fans on KK were folks on the Titanic.

Better quality coaching and linemates would have me leaning towards a more productive year but as we know, value only goes down when you do something that upsets the big bad O6 boys.

Lots of fans were already souring on KK. Now that he's going to be paid SIX MILLION DOLLARS obviously it changes everything. I have no doubt you could get someone much better than him for those picks at a fraction of the cost, either now or later in the year. A lot of KK's value beyond his perceived "potential" was that we was a cost-controlled asset. That's gone now. Good luck Canes...

This is a player who finished the year with zero goals and one assist in 19 games, despite playing on the 2nd PP unit all year and getting Toffoli, Drouin, Andersen as his regular linemates at various times. He has barely played more than a minute on the PK in three seasons. In the playoffs the team had to replace him with someone else to take key defensive faceoffs (Danault). He had zero PP points all playoffs and despite some key goals at the start he finished with one goal and zero assists overall in the last 11 games.

I'll take the 1st and 3rd, thank you. He's going to get an even harder time proving himself on a team that isn't lacking in C depth.

Last edited:

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I don't expect he will either.. and I think he probably knows it.
If he's offered a 3-4 year 3.5to 4.5m I think he'll take it. or he could be like that NBA plyer that thought he was worth more then he was.. Canes haven't been shy of telling players they don't think they are worth their money that they won't be footing the bill.

This was a reply that missed the part 3 cut off :)

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Strange move. I don't see the Habs signing him for that much. I think Carolina overpaid by like 2.5 mill on the offer. They could have signed him, for like 3.5 and walked away. This was a guy who was scratched on the Stanley cup final.

I think Bergevin would be insane to pay this. I also think Canes are pretty daft to offer this. Granted Bergevin is a dink so he may just pay it. This whole scenario just stinks of bad management. Is it fun to watch ? I suppose so. Not my cup of tea though. The way they rushed the kid into the league. Never gave him a chance. Then Carolina plays games with him. Yeah, he will get his 6 million but he better save every penny. Instead of sticking by the 21 year old and teaching him hockey, both teams are jumping the gun. One never gave him a chance, the other is expecting to much. He is only 21. He can't even grow a damn beard yet.

Bad Management at its finest. From both these hoser teams. Now it is on to Caufield and Suzuki i guess. Lets see how fast Habs can scare them away and lose interest in them. As far as I am concerned the draft picks the habs get back won't be worth a damn licorice stick because the team never gives their draft picks a chance. They can't develop a 16 dollar hotdawg at the Molsen center. Let alone a living human hockey player. May as well just give players away for equipment at this point.

I agree for most, but not the fact that ''they never gave him a chance''.

NHL is no kindergarten, there's no place for entitlement, you have to deserve every chance you have. NHL is a privilege, not a given right....

They gave KK plenty of chances, he didn't grab them, it's on him, not habs brass...

Was he rushed to the NHL? Yeah...

But he had every opportunities to shine:, PP time, easy assignations, mostly OZ faceoffs... and this is how he responded.

You don't pull a plant to make it grow...

Reactions: Wandering Maroon

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
We're cheap, because we paid more for different players!

I don't think, honestly, that most outside fans can even comprehend the main mechanic here. They avoided paying an (albeit really good) 28 year old defenseman for what could be a future albatross. Instead, they used that money to extend a 21 year old future superstar through the decade and (maybe) fished another potential 21 year old star with the same cap space.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Also, curious that the Canes did not want to pay Dougie Hamilton, an actual really good player, but decided to offer sheet a marginal player and sign Tony Deangelo/Ian Cole for $1 more total money (not to mention potentially giving up a 1st and 3rd round pick)

Just odd all around.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't think, honestly, that most outside fans can even comprehend the main mechanic here. They avoided paying an (albeit really good) 28 year old defenseman for what could be a future albatross. Instead, they used that money to extend a 21 year old future superstar through the decade and (maybe) fished another potential 21 year old star with the same cap space.

I don't think there's much to defend here. Lowballing Hamilton and offering Kotkaniemi 6 million dollars is a bad look. That's a team that's suppose to be gunning for a cup right now.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Canes didn't want the next Erik Karlsson on their hands so went this route. Allocate the cap to young up and comers....pay for what you will do not what you have done.

Breath of fresh air!

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
As per laraque, Kk would have already signed a 4m aav offer extension for a short-mid term deal

Attachments

• DDE170FA-C7E9-4051-87ED-1D76138ED5E4.png
    DDE170FA-C7E9-4051-87ED-1D76138ED5E4.png
    344.5 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: powerstuck

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Also, curious that the Canes did not want to pay Dougie Hamilton, an actual really good player, but decided to offer sheet a marginal player and sign Tony Deangelo/Ian Cole for $1 more total money (not to mention potentially giving up a 1st and 3rd round pick)

Just odd all around.

Dundon is a total weirdo. 2 to 1 odds this is largely his doing.

Reactions: GordonGraham

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Did Nashville ever retaliate against Philly for the Weber offer sheet?

Is it to late? Lol
Believe it or not this morning in a francophone newspaper in Mtl, they were saying Holmgren lost his job because of that offer sheet. Say he regretted the move. Made 12 trades after that and he became vp or something like that 2 years after the offer.
Thats what i mean by PR media job. Gotta make the other gm look bad.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Initially found it hilarious and still do. Happy for the timing in the dog days of the offseason to give us something to talk about. I'd be pissed as a MTL fan, but as a neutral fan it's entertaining. You love to see it, unless it's your team being screwed

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Just odd all around.
Paying a 29 year old $9m AAV for 7 years is stupid money, especially when he's not even our #1 D (arguably our #3, behind Slavin and Pesce).

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Just odd all around.

Sure, Kotkaniemi may be a marginal player right now. I would argue otherwise considering how he played this postseason, but still, an argument can be made there. Carolina is betting on what he can be as soon as next season or 2-3 seasons from now. We're talking about a 21 year old here, way before his prime!

Also, Ian Cole has nothing to do with this. Cole was signed to be a present-day bottom-pair upgrade relative to Jake Bean. Ethan Bear has much more to do with their post-Hamilton plan.

Reactions: Daeavorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad