Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Haydn Fleury re-signs with the Hurricanes (2 years, $1.3M AAV)

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Good deal. 2 years at 1.3 if he gets 2nd pairing mins he should be a 25-30 point quality top 4 defender.

His path might be blocked though for top 4 mins with slavin/skeji/gardiner all their longterm. Canes also got Bean who's an LHD who should be be able to play top 4 minutes alongside a hamilton/pesce

Reactions: DaveG

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Good deal. 2 years at 1.3 if he gets 2nd pairing mins he should be a 25-30 point quality top 4 defender.

His path might be blocked though for top 4 mins with slavin/skeji/gardiner all their longterm. Canes also got Bean who's an LHD who should be be able to play top 4 minutes alongside a hamilton/pesce
Fleury might have to move to the right side either way if hes being blocked.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

He and Gardiner were really good during the playoffs
, with Fleury playing the right side. Fleury seems to have much more confidence in the offensive zone on his offside. Too bad Gardiner makes $4M as a 3rd pair guy.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Very nice deal for the Canes. Have to think there's a good chance of him getting a bigger role in a year as well (either because someone ahead of him on the depth chart is claimed in the expansion draft, or because he himself is Seattle bound)

Capfriendly doesn't have the deal posted yet, but wouldn't he be an RFA still when the deal expires?

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Very nice deal for the Canes. Have to think there's a good chance of him getting a bigger role in a year as well (either because someone ahead of him on the depth chart is claimed in the expansion draft, or because he himself is Seattle bound)

Capfriendly doesn't have the deal posted yet, but wouldn't he be an RFA still when the deal expires?

I think he’ll have one more RFA year left, ideal if true for CAR...hope I’m actually right about that.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Think you're right, looks like he'll be 26, with 6 accrued professional seasons

That’s perfect. If he stays on his current trajectory, he’s a 2nd pair mainstay for CAR by the end of the season in my mind. It will be very interesting to see what the Canes do with all their D (Fleury, Skjei, Gardiner and Bean) in terms of the expansion draft. They’re going to lose a good one regardless it seems.

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
That’s perfect. If he stays on his current trajectory, he’s a 2nd pair mainstay for CAR by the end of the season in my mind. It will be very interesting to see what the Canes do with all their D (Fleury, Skjei, Gardiner and Bean) in terms of the expansion draft. They’re going to lose a good one regardless it seems.

What they do with Dougie will be a huge factor as well obviously

Fairly well-positioned to absorb the loss of whoever Seattle takes imo

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
What they do with Dougie will be a huge factor as well obviously

Fairly well-positioned to absorb the loss of whoever Seattle takes imo

For sure. We have the depth to lose a good LHD and move forward but we can’t afford to lose Dougie on the right side. The only other RHD we have is Pesce. Fleury can play both sides but if we lose him in expansion we’re ultra thin there.

Seems inevitable that we will lose one of Fleury or Bean unless Canes make big changes before the expansion draft.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Fleury played some of his best hockey of his career on the right after the Hamilton and Pesce injuries, playing a good bit with Skjei and even Slavin in that role.

Gardner-Fleury should be able to hold down the fort nicely on the 3rd pairing, though honestly I'd prefer Gardner moved to give Bean a shot.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Just curious what is the canes long term plan with a guy line Bean?

He is in his D+5 next year. He seems easily NHL ready and should be playing on the team but is held back cuz canes have crazy defensive depth.

Are they gonna trade him before he expansion draft? Try and recoup a 2nd+ or maybe a 20ish 1st for him?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Just curious what is the canes long term plan with a guy line Bean?

He is in his D+5 next year. He seems easily NHL ready and should be playing on the team but is held back cuz canes have crazy defensive depth.

Are they gonna trade him before he expansion draft? Try and recoup a 2nd+ or maybe a 20ish 1st for him?

The Canes don't gain much of anything in that scenario, imo. Trade Bean and Seattle likely takes Fleury. There's not a big difference in value between the two. It's better to come out of it with 1 rather than 0.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The Canes don't gain much of anything in that scenario, imo. Trade Bean and Seattle likely takes Fleury. There's not a big difference in value between the two. It's better to come out of it with 1 rather than 0.
I guess that's true. Seems kinda odd looking back now why canes traded for skeiji. Both bean and fleury seem ready for spot duty as Top 4 dmen on left side and are very likely to be excellent bottom pairing guys.

Would the canes pay an asset like suzuki/bokk/2021 1st to pay Seattle to take Gardiner?

Think one of those assets should entice them to take Jake and they can keep both young guys

Reactions: Tryamw

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
I guess that's true. Seems kinda odd looking back now why canes traded for skeiji. Both bean and fleury seem ready for spot duty as Top 4 dmen on left side and are very likely to be excellent bottom pairing guys.

Would the canes pay an asset like suzuki/bokk/2021 1st to pay Seattle to take Gardiner?

Think one of those assets should entice them to take Jake and they can keep both young guys

Thought of that scenario too

Orrrrrrr perhaps a wild, crazy take here ~ offer a mid round pick to ensure they take Skjei (assuming they re-sign Hamilton and go 7-3). Lose an asset you paid a premium for, yes, but also clears cap and roster space for your kids (and you'll have gotten 2 playoff runs out of Skjei at that point).... just a thought (and like I said, perhaps a crazy one)

edit: Or go 4-4 and dangle a guy like Trochek, which might be tempting

Lots of options hehe

But in light of how all the shenanigans with Vegas backfired, perhaps best to just suck it up and let em take who they take

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Suzuki or Bokk probably not, but I wouldn't rule out the Canes paying a first especially if it's somewhere in the mid-late 20s. That said, I honestly think they'd mostly try to get it done for a 2nd, but not sure Seattle bites on that

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
Suzuki or Bokk probably not, but I wouldn't rule out the Canes paying a first especially if it's somewhere in the mid-late 20s. That said, I honestly think they'd mostly try to get it done for a 2nd, but not sure Seattle bites on that

I would think not, considering those other guys are probably worth 2nds at least

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I would think not, considering those other guys are probably worth 2nds at least

I think it depends on how Seattle feels about taking on a player like Skjei. If they like him as a player and feel he’s a better fit or at least equal for the team compared to Bean or Fleury then they could potentially get a 2nd for free while getting a player they like.

Either way unless there are some big moves it seems likely the Canes will be down a very solid dman after the expansion draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad