Waived: [CAR] G Antti Raanta waived by the Hurricanes (cleared)

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
If my blueline was at least sound, I'd sign Halak and pick him up. Problem is, teams that are griping about needing goaltending have some real needs on D that should be attended to first.

If you need a netminder now, sign Halak. Low risk, high reward. Stopgap it and trade for or draft someone sooner than later.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Campbell isn't even on the NHL roster so being an upgrade on him makes zero difference. He'd have to be a clear upgrade on Skinner and Pickard and as of this season he clearly isn't. The last thing the Oilers need is another not good enough goaltender.
He could get on a roll like Roloson did in 2006

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Carolina needed to do something, not sure if this was the right move however.

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
Probably they have a deal in place, but the team getting Raanta wants him in the minors to work on his game.

Actually, someone mentioned it earlier, but this screams Mrazek (not sure how much of an upgrade he'd be, but a 0.910% on CHI looks pretty good!) back to CAR double retained through a third team (unless they feel they can put Andersen on LTIR, but that should have happened already if they do), with Raanta going back to CHI, plus a futures piece or 2 (mid round picks / C prospects)

Could be Vejmelka too, but Mrazek has better numbers, played for CAR before, and is also UFA after this season, while guys like Gibson, Allen, Merzlikins, etc all either make too much, have too many years left on their deals, or both. CAR will stay away, methinks...

Reactions: banks and DaveG

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
One of those weird scenarios where I don't know what to think as a devils fan. I mean, if he's an .854 with the Hurricanes, I'm not sure he's going to be better with a worse defensive team lol. But he has a history of playing well...but he's also what, 34 or 35 now? He may just be cooked
34 with a body thats been through many injuries and thus probably older functionally than his real age.. hes been made of glass in his career and he might just never be fully healthy enough to be effective again.

Reactions: DaveG and Forge

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
34 with a body thats been through many injuries and thus probably older functionally than his real age.. hes been made of glass in his career and he might just never be fully healthy enough to be effective again.

Still, voodoo is voodoo.

If you were asked three months ago who were the most reliable budget 30something goalies headed into this season and who were most cooked, of Quick Talbot and Raanta - how many would have picked the two guys currently in the top 5 of sv% this season over Raanta?

Goalies. are. voodoo.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Still, voodoo is voodoo.

If you were asked three months ago who were the most reliable budget 30something goalies headed into this season and who were most cooked, of Quick Talbot and Raanta - how many would have picked the two guys currently in the top 5 of sv% this season over Raanta?

Goalies. are. voodoo.
Talbot im a little surprised by although he was on a bad team amd wasnt that terrible. I didnt think he would be this successful and still dont and think his numbers will come bacl to earth but i wouldnt be surprisednto see him have a solid season.

Quickk.... yeah i thought he was done. I was very very wrong. He didnt look anything like this last year.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If Oil or Leafs or Devils dont grab him, maybe Dallas, Oettinger left game injured yesterday

I suspect he doesn’t get claimed. There are a lot of teams where you could see a goalie with a decent track record posting bad numbers and think “he deserves another chance,” but Carolina isn’t one of them. If you can’t put up decent numbers behind that D, there’s probably not a spot for you in the NHL anymore.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
If my blueline was at least sound, I'd sign Halak and pick him up. Problem is, teams that are griping about needing goaltending have some real needs on D that should be attended to first.

If you need a netminder now, sign Halak. Low risk, high reward. Stopgap it and trade for or draft someone sooner than later.
We already did that. Didn't work out. I suppose we could do it again.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Constant injuries catched up to him, he just isn’t what he used to be and him knowing it just makes it even worse.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Still, voodoo is voodoo.

Goalies. are. voodoo.

Not untrue but that doesn’t make claiming Raanta at this stage a smart bet.

In the context of him being 34, his body worn down with injuries and $1.5 million added to the bill not being “nothing”, not to mention either upsetting your current goalie room or prohibiting you from making further moves - I don’t see many existing situations where he is a priority pick-up.

Everybody loves to point to Edmonton but they are living on the knifes edge already in terms of cap and Pickard has been great since getting called up. Why would you disturb that to add yet another poor goalie and more salary to the mix on the very low percent chance Raanta rebounds?

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I’m not sold on it either but I think money wise it’s not that bad - Schmid can go back to the A without waivers ( ?I think? ) so the added cost is only the delta between Schmid’s and Raanta’s salaries (575k?). And if he’s continuing to be a stinker re waive him, swap back to Schmid, and after 1.15 mil in cap relief he costs a total of the remaining partial season’s portion of 350k in cap …

I’m not calling for it … but I wouldn’t hate it either.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Surprised this doesn't get talked about more often. There aren't a lot of quality, consistent goaltenders in the league right now.

That’s cause offences are carving up goalies left and right. A trend that I saw coming a mile away years ago with the final touches being completed with the crack down on cross checks.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Hope Weekes is wrong. Seems dumb to have 2 younger guys as a tandem, especially if they want to make the playoffs or at least try.

Halak would be a great move. Veteran who can mentor Pytor and won't take away starts, but can give him a break and provide quality goaltending. I think people are forgetting he finished the season very strong last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad