PTO: [CAR] F Cory Conacher, F Nick Shore, and F Brendan Perlini (all released) sign PTOs with the Hurricanes

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, I really don't get it. That is why is say it is self inflicted.

Could be, but without knowing the gory details, it's hard to say for sure.

As an example. I have a friend (he's the best friend of an in-law) that is filthy rich but very down to earth. He worked his ass off to get where he is. He once told me the thing he detests, is once someone knows he has money, they think "Oh, he should be fine paying more because he has so much money and it won't hurt him as much." That attitude is prevalent.

Karmanos's wealth had diminished greatly by the time he sold the Canes. Now, maybe the Checker's were getting the short end of the stick for years, so when it came time to renew again, they wanted it to be more equitable? Or maybe, the Checkers thought that since Dundon had more money and the Canes were doing better, they should take a bigger share of the cost? Or maybe Dundon tried to squeeze them? Or maybe the Checkers thought the Canes were never going to go elsewhere because the affiliation was in state so they tried to squeeze Dundon?

Point being, I don't know the details enough to say, but Dundon is at the core, a businessman and tough negotiator and that won't likely change.

Reactions: DaveG

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
I seem to recall the Ducks (maybe when they were still Mighty) also lacking an AHL affiliate for a time

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Just a bizarre, self-inflicted situation you'd think a professional organization would avoid.

Kind of weird, and a bad situation for prospects that were ready to make the jump to the AHL but won't because of that and be forced to stay in Europe/be loaned elsewhere.

Not amazing for call-ups either.

But yeah, some fans will say their team management is amazing no matter what bad moves they make, so I guess that is the case here.

Chicago Wolves have been NHL affiliate for decades. Weird they only did that move after doing business with Dundon, no? Maybe it's Waddell the problem, who knows?
A ton of assumptions you are making without seeing anything but the results. I like how you came in hot with the judging of Tom D but then following posts prove you have no idea about the situation. But in reality its just “some fans will say their team management is amazing no matter what bad moves they make, so I guess that is the case here.” Amirite?!?!

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Didn't it end poorly with Charlotte as well, or am I mistaken?
It was a surprising end as the Checkers owner was a minority Canes owner at the time. Reports were Charlotte wanted a lot more money to cover their expenses and veterans they signed that Chicago didn't. Now Chicago is complaining about having to pay for the veterans when that was explicitly the plan when Carolina affiliated with them.

Waddell even said as much when the deal was signed:

How does this make the Carolina Hurricanes better as an organization?

Waddell: The Wolves are willing to invest in players with us. From that standpoint, we'll be able to do more with our players for less cost. Some of the players we've brought in - what I would call our depth, veteran NHL players - we'll still need to sign those players, and we have a partner that realizes the importance of that and is willing to help financially support bringing in those quality veterans.

I'm sure part of the Wolves' complaint is that some of these players played well enough that they made the Hurricanes and then the Wolves didn't have them anymore. But when a player like Noesen or Chatfield plays well enough to stick on the NHL roster, you don't send them back down.

And their complaint about the goalies is that Kochetkov came over after the AHL season, was slightly better than Lyon in the rest of the regular season, vastly outplayed Lyon during the AHL playoffs, and Carolina wanted Kochetkov to play?? Focusing on winning would have meant starting the goalie with a 1.65/.950 in the playoffs, prospect or veteran.

Last edited:

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Cory Conacher was in my HUT team, he was fast and scored every now and then when i forgot to change lines. So in my opinion a very good player.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Chicago Wolves have been NHL affiliate for decades. Weird they only did that move after doing business with Dundon, no? Maybe it's Waddell the problem, who knows?
Been an affiliate for decades yet with the line exception of the Atlanta Thrashers, who didn't give a damn, every single NHL club that's been affiliated with them couldn't wait to get out of the arrangement.

If it were just Carolina that's one thing. But when Vancouver, St Louis, Vegas, AND Carolina all have issues trying to get their development team to, you know, prioritize development the issue isn't the NHL clubs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad