Proposal: CAR/DET trade (Necas)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wings fan coming in peace. Congrats on a fantastic regular season, handling your business against the Islanders, and taking the Rangers to six games.

I had been hearing mixed opinions on whether the Canes preferred to keep Necas or to consider dealing the RFA, so I thought I'd see if there was any interest in a trade with the Wings.

I know each team tends to see their own players differently than fans around the league do, so I mean no disrespect. I'm sure some Carolina fans wouldn't want to trade him at all, and some won't be interested in the specific players I'm suggesting. But this is meant as a starting point to gauge interest, see what each team's needs really are, and try to figure out if there's a deal to be had that's reasonable to both sides.

With all that said, I propose:

To DET
Martin Necas

To CAR
Michael Rasmussen
either Ben Chiarot or Jake Walman
Jonatan Berggren

Rasmussen is a middle of the lineup guy who (so far) has not leveraged his size properly for net front and down low play, but his skating has definitely improved this past season. He's also been good on the PK. Either defenseman would be fine on the second pairing, depending on whether you want more physical play (Chiarot) or better passing (Walman). And Berggren has played very well in the AHL using his speed and playmaking, but has not yet been able to stick and stay with Detroit (but now is out of waiver options, so he'll either be playing with the Wings this season or traded).

Thoughts? Counter proposals? Clarifications/corrections on team needs?

Thanks!

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Wings fan coming in peace. Congrats on a fantastic regular season, handling your business against the Islanders, and taking the Rangers to six games.

I had been hearing mixed opinions on whether the Canes preferred to keep Necas or to consider dealing the RFA, so I thought I'd see if there was any interest in a trade with the Wings.

I know each team tends to see their own players differently than fans around the league do, so I mean no disrespect. I'm sure some Carolina fans wouldn't want to trade him at all, and some won't be interested in the specific players I'm suggesting. But this is meant as a starting point to gauge interest, see what each team's needs really are, and try to figure out if there's a deal to be had that's reasonable to both sides.

To DET
Martin Necas

To CAR
Michael Rasmussen
Jonatan Berggren

Rasmussen is a middle of the lineup guy who (so far) has not leveraged his size properly for net front and down low play, but his skating has definitely improved this past season. He's also been good on the PK. Either defenseman would be fine on the second pairing, depending on whether you want more physical play (Chiarot) or better passing (Walman). And Berggren has played very well in the AHL using his speed and playmaking, but has not yet been able to stick and stay with Detroit (but now is out of waiver options, so he'll either be playing with the Wings this season or traded).

Thanks!
Don't patronize use damn your eyes

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

To DET
Martin Necas

To CAR
Michael Rasmussen
Jonatan Berggren

Thanks!
Thoughts?

Come back when you are serious.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

To DET
Martin Necas

To CAR
Michael Rasmussen
Jonatan Berggren

Thanks!
Respectfully, I just don't like it.

Rasmussen is pretty much exactly what we don't need...another middle-6 F who is primarily defensive and doesn't use his size effectively.

Walman is a LHD when we need a RHD and are solid down the left side; I mean we're losing Brady Skjei this offseason and the collective response from our FO seems to be " Eh. We made an offer we like, he didn't like it, movin' on. Not too worried." and our best spec is a LHD.

Chiarot is a LHD who can play the RHD side...but he's too old to be a major interesting piece in a trade for a dynamic top-6 RFA F and the last "LHD who can play the RH side" that we acquired (Orlov) turned out to not be able to play the RH side in our systems.

Berggren is fine, I guess, but not to be the most useful piece in a trade like this. Berggren "and stuff" isn't an interesting offer.

As I pointed out on the main trade page, in all the time Dundon has owned the Canes, we've never made a our asset for multiple pieces and futures trade. There's an "Always be improving" grind mentality there. It's always now pieces for now pieces or our asset plus futures for better asset. So, the most likely response from the Canes FO is "No, but...what do we have to add to Necas for Moritz Seider? A 1st? A 1st and a spec not named Nadeau or Nikishin? A 1st and two specs?"

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Respectfully, I just don't like it.
Fair.

As I pointed out on the main trade page, in all the time Dundon has owned the Canes, we've never made a our asset for multiple pieces and futures trade. There's an "Always be improving" grind mentality there. It's always now pieces for now pieces or our asset plus futures for better asset. So, the most likely response from the Canes FO is "No, but...what do we have to add to Necas for Moritz Seider? A 1st? A 1st and a spec not named Nadeau or Nikishin? A 1st and two specs?"
Then the most likely scenario is not finding a team to provide sufficient value, and kicking the can down the road a year.

Reactions: Chan790

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You really thought this proposal was so good that you’d bypass the main board and come right to the canes board with it?
Of course not. I rarely even visit the main boards.

I had HOPED that if there was zero interest in what I proposed, then there would be specific team needs clarified and one or more specific counter proposals. But if it's going to head straight from, "your offer is junk" to, "give us your best young player or get lost", then I have my answer.

Enjoy your day.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

I had HOPED that if there was zero interest in what I proposed, then there would be specific team needs clarified and one or more specific counter proposals. But if it's going to head straight from, "your offer is junk" to, "give us your best young player or get lost", then I have my answer.

Enjoy your day.

So sorry we’ve been a disappointment.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Enjoy your day.
MAYBE your best plan of action would have been to ask what we'd be looking for in a return for Necas first? Or read the MB thread where it's already being discussed. Come in with a complete garbage proposal and I'm not sure what kind of response you expect. The trade proposal is a dollar for 3 quarters at best. Like if we came by and said we want Seider for KK + Fast + Honka

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Skinner
Faulk
Bean
Nedeljkovic
DeAngelo

We as fans have a tendency to have tunnel vision on these things. They’ve shown that they don’t necessarily need to get what they want directly to make trades. Free agency is something they’ve used to backfill (or frontfill? in the case of Faulk). A connecting trade is also a possibility; they cashed out on DeAngelo and traded lesser assets for Burns in a separate deal.

I wouldn’t rule out Necas for futures. Someone interesting would be coming in or staying with that cap space and opportunity.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Skinner
Faulk
Bean
Nedeljkovic
DeAngelo

We as fans have a tendency to have tunnel vision on these things. They’ve shown that they don’t necessarily need to get what they want directly to make trades. Free agency is something they’ve used to backfill (or frontfill? in the case of Faulk). A connecting trade is also a possibility; they cashed out on DeAngelo and traded lesser assets for Burns in a separate deal.

I wouldn’t rule out Necas for futures. Someone interesting would be coming in or staying with that cap space and opportunity.
I don't think Necas is in that same mode. Some of those were (Skinner, Bean) "gain by subtraction" trades, Ned was essentially a favor because we knew we didn't want to commit to him so we sent him where he wanted to be, TDA was "wait...you want to overpay that badly, we can't say no." Faulk was a now piece for a now piece, plus sweetener.

I think the best internal precedent to look at to get an idea of any potential Necas trade is Lindholm/Hanifin. We're not moving a substantial part like Necas and not getting back a desireable, immediately-useful piece. We won't be doing our version of the Fiala trade.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
My dislike for the deal wasn't even about value (even though the value wasn't good IMO). It was more that the pieces suggested made no sense for Carolina.

We don't need another guy like Rasmussen.
We don't need a LHD.
We don't need a Meh prospect.

I agree with BDC that if Necas is traded, it very well could be for futures and not an equivalent player coming back. Who knows though.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Temporarily setting aside specific positions of need, and just going with this approach of chasing a bigger player in a deal...

... Would Carolina have any interest in Necas+ to Toronto for Marner?

I could see both yes and no, since Mitch is kind of a better Martin (but still may not fit your style of play for the same reasons).

No idea if the Leafs would consider it (depending on the add from the Canes). Just a thought.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Temporarily setting aside specific positions of need, and just going with this approach of chasing a bigger player in a deal...

I could see both yes and no, since Mitch is kind of a better Martin (but still may not fit your style of play for the same reasons).

No idea if the Leafs would consider it (depending on the add from the Canes). Just a thought.
Doubtful Carolina is interested in trading Necas for a similar stylistic clash who is more expensive and is a UFA after one year.

Reactions: cptjeff and Tryamw

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

The only way that can make any sense for us is if it is done post July 1st and a team takes on half his cap for 375k of real money for a minimal return. Other than that Marner makes our situation harder

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad