Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Derek Stepan signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $1.35M)

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I’m not sure I’ve ever disliked a Coyote more than Derek Stepan. He was the epitome of everything that was wrong with the team during the Chayka/Tocchet era. Which was the darkest period in Coyotes history, in my opinion. I’ve been a die-hard since 1996.
Agreed. He's in for a wake up call when he plays for Brindamour.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
For now, the team looks like (lines subject to change):

Svechnikov - Aho - Teravainen
Niederreiter - Trocheck - Necas
Martinook - Staal - Fast
Lorentz - Stepan - Leivo

Slavin - Pesce
Skjei -Bear
Cole - DeAngelo
Smith, Gardiner

Andersen
Raanta

Hopefully there's a move to make for a Top 9 forward. There will be a good chunk of cap space available to do it after re-signing Svechnikov, but the options are dwindling. Barring a big breakout somewhere up top, this looks like a step back for a team that you hope would take a step forward coming into the offseason.

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
I should say, though, that it doesn't mean he'll be terrible in Carolina. In fact, he may end up being pretty good.

This is an extremely detail-oriented player on the ice. He's positionally perfect defensively and just does not make mistakes. He's small, slow, and weak but always has his body and stick in the right position defensively. He does not have to rely on skating or strength at all, which is good because he has neither. He will likely be a head coach at some level some day. He sees the game so well and has such solid fundamentals on the ice. He's had to because he has so little actual talent, relative to other players with similar resumes.

Having said all of that, most Coyotes fans I know that actually follow the team closely could not wait to be rid of him. I think he's a fine player on a good team with an established leadership group and effective coaching. Carolina is a good spot for him, in this regard. The Coyotes, however, had a crisis of accountability. There was none. They had a country club head coach who just wanted to let all of his beer buddies off the hook.

The Kessels, and Stepans, Demers, and Goligoskis. Stepan was on Spittin' Chiclets talking about drinking a six pack of Bud Lights every night, even during the season. Alex Goligoski, who's play NOSE DIVED after they acquired Stepan and then SKY ROCKETED after Stepan was shipped out, talked on Spittin' Chiclets about how Stepan helped him stop taking things so seriously and how to just relax and have fun.

The veterans the Coyotes had in their "leadership" group were all class-clown, goofball, former party boys. They very obviously could not care less and it was an absolute Country Club environment. Derek Stepan was the worst offender.
So are you saying that he doesn't have any drive because he doesn't have have it/that?
And drive and passion is something the team needs?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So are you saying that he doesn't have any drive because he doesn't have to?
And drive and passion is something the team needs?
I’m saying he was a complete turd in Arizona but only because he could be and because he probably thought it didn’t matter.

I assume the hurricanes have much more in the way of accountability and they certainly have more to play for.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I would have preferred they signed Eric Staal instead for nostalgia reasons. Both players are pretty equivalent at this point, no?

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
You need these guys to win cups. I’ll never forget how valuable Matt Cullen was to the Penguins in their cup runs.

Those veteran, defensively oriented centers can make a huge impact on a team.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He's incredibly slow for a forward. He has no acceleration or footspeed. His shot is an absolute muffin. He has decent vision and can make a pass. He's reliable defensively,

Worth a shot for the 4th line but don't expect more. If those are your expectations then you'll enjoy him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He makes zero sense as a 4C. Completely washed physically even if his "motor" wanted to compete.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad