Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] D Calvin de Haan signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $850k)

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
Thank you I'm a moron. I don't know why I thought that. I remember thinking at the time that Fox was a decent prospect but I would have never guessed he'd be the most important player moved in that trade.

Correct.

That actually makes it much better as I had mistakenly thought that Fox went back for Hamilton. So we had Fox/Slavin/Hamilton/Pesce/Faulk/Gardiner at one point. Never would have worked because Fox wouldn't sign and that's too many top 4s, but it's the kind of thing that normally would only happen in NHL 2020 if you forced all GMs to accept your trades.

Perhaps Noah Hanafin is who you meant.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That actually makes it much better as I had mistakenly thought that Fox went back for Hamilton. So we had Fox/Slavin/Hamilton/Pesce/Faulk/Gardiner at one point. Never would have worked because Fox wouldn't sign and that's too many top 4s, but it's the kind of thing that normally would only happen in NHL 2020 if you forced all GMs to accept your trades.
Yep, and the year before (2018/19 season), we had Fox (not signed)/Slavin/Hamilton/Pesce/Faulk/CDH/TVR + Bean and Fleury. CDH was great that year.

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
CdH is a warrior out there but his body has taken a beating over the years.
Hopefully Carolina can limit his minutes.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
CdH is a warrior out there but his body has taken a beating over the years.
Hopefully Carolina can limit his minutes.

He’s got Slavin and Skjei ahead of him on the left side so he’s definitely not going to be asked to do any heavy lifting. I trust the canes know what they have in him and can utilize him properly.

Reactions: DaveG

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
He’s got Slavin and Skjei ahead of him on the left side so he’s definitely not going to be asked to do any heavy lifting. I trust the canes know what they have in him and can utilize him properly.
Agreed. He's the kind of player I'd hope to sit at the end of the regular season so he's 100% for the playoffs.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Too bad Dronov decided to terminate his deal with the Canes, he likely would have gotten NHL time this season as you likely can only expect 50–60 regular season games out of de Haan.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Too bad Dronov decided to terminate his deal with the Canes, he likely would have gotten NHL time this season as you likely can only expect 50–60 regular season games out of de Haan.

There's almost certainly a basement team that traded a young bottom-pair guy yesterday who is willing to give Dronov prime NHL minutes somewhere (looking at you, Chicago).

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Why wouldn’t they? He’s a good young defenseman with future potential but it’s not like he’s going to have such an impact from the bottom pairing that he’ll ruin their lottery pick.
The Hawks appear to be using (weaponizing) cap to gain picks.
Also, I’m a deHaan fan but he’s a part time, oft injured 3rd pairing guy at this stage. Why sign the guy deHaan beat out? Especially if the guy will refuse going to the minors.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The Hawks appear to be using (weaponizing) cap to gain picks.
Also, I’m a deHaan fan but he’s a part time, oft injured 3rd pairing guy at this stage. Why sign the guy deHaan beat out? Especially if the guy will refuse going to the minors.
They didn’t sign him until he won the job

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yeah although if there was any chance of him signing with a team that wasn't the Rags I'd say there would've been no chance of the Flames including him. He got even better since that trade but at the time of the trade he was one of the top D prospects league wide. The Flames knew they couldn't sign him, we figured we could try so he was thrown in. Ferland and Hamilton were the bigger pieces for us.
And I think the Canes knew it was a long shot that Fox would sign with them but worth it as a throw in because what if he does? In the end we got 2x2nds for him which we then doubled down on for more darts at the draft so while we didn’t get close to what he was worth as a player, at least we got some decent value back for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad