Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] D Calvin de Haan signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $850k)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
No longer just a PTO, De Haan is under contract now for this coming season

were-putting-the-band-back-together-were-getting-back-together.gif

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
This move is huge. The canes have honestly struggled trying to replace this guy. Getting him for ao little in a 3LD role is going to help us a ton.

We havent been able to trust any of the guys we got to replace him and I think this is finally the year we go back to the finals.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Wanted the Islanders to take him back. He’s much better than Aho, Salo, or Cholowski.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Gardiner and Dehaan playing for the Canes in 2022-2023

Not something many were expecting

Slavin, Pesce, Burns, Skeji is still a really good top 4D core and then those two guys and Bear (if he's still on the canes) aren't bad 5-7D options

Canes lost Hamilton, Bean, Fleury, Deangelo over the past 2-3 years and still have a strong defensive core. Impressive

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Slavin, Pesce, Burns, Skeji is still a really good top 4D core and then those two guys and Bear (if he's still on the canes) aren't bad 5-7D options

Canes lost Hamilton, Bean, Fleury, Deangelo over the past 2-3 years and still have a strong defensive core. Impressive

Gardiner isn't playing. He wasn't at camp and will be on LTIR.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Oh damn true. I thought he had been cleared off LTIR this year earlier. Guess not the case

At the end of last season it was said that he was healthy and would play this year. He took part in a summer league and I guess it didn’t go so well. Strange situation.

Oh, and Bean and Fleury weren’t really a loss. They were never regulars for Carolina as neither really panned out (Fleury especially).

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC

Technically we also lost Fox to get Hamilton, and we also lost Faulk. There was a hot minute where our D consisted of Fox (never signed)/Slavin/Pesce/Faulk/de Haan/Gardiner. Interestingly the only guy we lost who we could really use again is Faulk. Although if we were to magically have him we'd have 5 top 4 D.

So much of Carolina's competitiveness lately is locked up in Pesce's and Slavin's good contracts. It's a huge advantage that will be somewhat lost when they re-sign in 2/3 years.

Reactions: banks

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Technically we also lost Fox to get Hamilton, and we also lost Faulk. There was a hot minute where our D consisted of Fox (never signed)/Slavin/Pesce/Faulk/de Haan/Gardiner. Interestingly the only guy we lost who we could really use again is Faulk. Although if we were to magically have him we'd have 5 top 4 D.

So much of Carolina's competitiveness lately is locked up in Pesce's and Slavin's good contracts. It's a huge advantage that will be somewhat lost when they re-sign in 2/3 years.
Not quite.
de Hann was traded on June 25th
Gardiner was signed on Sept 6
Faulk was traded on Sept 24

So CDH was gone before Gardiner was signed.

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Huh? We got him in the Hamilton trade. Then, like Calgary, we were never going to be able to sign him as he was only going to play for the Rags.
Thank you I'm a moron. I don't know why I thought that. I remember thinking at the time that Fox was a decent prospect but I would have never guessed he'd be the most important player moved in that trade.

Not quite.
de Hann was traded on June 25th
Gardiner was signed on Sept 6
Faulk was traded on Sept 24

So CDH was gone before Gardiner was signed.
Correct.

That actually makes it much better as I had mistakenly thought that Fox went back for Hamilton. So we had Fox/Slavin/Hamilton/Pesce/Faulk/Gardiner at one point. Never would have worked because Fox wouldn't sign and that's too many top 4s, but it's the kind of thing that normally would only happen in NHL 2020 if you forced all GMs to accept your trades.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Thank you I'm a moron. I don't know why I thought that. I remember thinking at the time that Fox was a decent prospect but I would have never guessed he'd be the most important player moved in that trade.
Yeah although if there was any chance of him signing with a team that wasn't the Rags I'd say there would've been no chance of the Flames including him. He got even better since that trade but at the time of the trade he was one of the top D prospects league wide. The Flames knew they couldn't sign him, we figured we could try so he was thrown in. Ferland and Hamilton were the bigger pieces for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00