PTO: [CAR] D Calvin de Haan signs PTO with the Hurricanes (SIGNED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I like this a lot. He already knows RBA’s system and would fit in great next to Bear or Coghlan on the 3rd pair. My assumption would be that this PTO means the Canes don’t think Gardiner will be on roster for opening night, most likely LTIR’d.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Thats umm.... well ok

There was supposedly a lot of bad blood between CDH and the Canes after the way he was traded away in 2019, so to see him back, even in a PTO, is a bit eye opening. I like it, should fit right in on the 3rd pair and be exactly the kind of player we need, but yeah... Didn't see that coming at all.

I like this a lot. He already knows RBA’s system and would fit in great next to Bear or Coghlan on the 3rd pair. My assumption would be that this PTO means the Canes don’t think Gardiner will be on roster for opening night, most likely LTIR’d.

Waddell said in a STM breakfast a few weeks ago that they are expecting Gardiner to be on LTIR for the entirety of this upcoming season. He's basically on LTIRetirement, so you're most likely correct.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Thats umm.... well ok

There was supposedly a lot of bad blood between CDH and the Canes after the way he was traded away in 2019, so to see him back, even in a PTO, is a bit eye opening. I like it, should fit right in on the 3rd pair and be exactly the kind of player we need, but yeah... Didn't see that coming at all.

Waddell said in a STM breakfast a few weeks ago that they are expecting Gardiner to be on LTIR for the entirety of this upcoming season. He's basically on LTIRetirement, so you're most likely correct.
Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm shocked to hear this. Then again, I also thought Dzingel wouldn't have come back too, and he got a 2 way. Dzingel was never treated poorly here, but he just didn't click with the team. He didn't get much top 6 time, but he didn't earn any top 6 time. We did him a solid and got him traded back to Ottawa.

But the real truth of it is there are a LOT of veteran players who have to take near league min or PTOs who normally would get richer contracts because of the flat cap.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm not sure how much "bad blood" there was. He was reportedly upset about being traded away, which isn't surprising given that he had just signed a contract the prior year and played well, but these guys understand it's a business. The Canes didn't have any ill will towards CDH, he was just a cap casualty expecting an offer sheet on Aho.

He’s really really bad. Injuries caught up to him, and now he can’t keep up

He's a turnover machine that would lay down in traffic for the team. Injuries have ruined him.

Seems like a pretty good person though.

Yeah, I don't expect much from him, thus why he's only getting a PTO right now.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Helluva career for CdH.
Shame that injuries cost him some good years in the league because he obviously had long-term top 4 ability.

Hopefully he can make the Canes as a #7 or #8 to fill-in when needed.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Helluva career for CdH.
Shame that injuries cost him some good years in the league because he obviously had long-term top 4 ability.

Hopefully he can make the Canes as a #7 or #8 to fill-in when needed.

If Gardiner is LTIRetired, as rumored, Bear will be the #5, CDH likely becomes the #6, and Coghlan/Chatfield will fight for #7 and #8. CDH being left-handed is a huge advantage for him to make our bottom pair full-time.

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Pesce
De Haan-Bear
Coghlan or Chatfield

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'd trust him over Gardiner, at this point. Even if they cost the same amount, which they don't.

No offence to Gardiner, it's just the back issues have ruined his career.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'd trust him over Gardiner, at this point. Even if they cost the same amount, which they don't.

No offence to Gardiner, it's just the back issues have ruined his career.

It's not a cost thing, since he had a year left and the Canes successfully added to the team without needing a buyout. The organization wanted him to rebound his career, and operated their cap on the assumption that he would resume his career, but he is likely LTIRetired for good. That's why the late moves for Stastny/De Haan/Stepan are happening.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
It's not a cost thing. The organization wanted him to rebound his career, and operated their cap on the assumption that he would resume his career, but he is likely LTIRetired for good. That's why Stastny/De Haan/likely Stepan are going to be Canes now.

For sure. I'm not suggesting it's a cost related decision. I'm in fact trying to say the opposite. Gardiner just can't play anymore.

Even if you ignore the dollars, DeHaan is more deserving of an NHL spot than Gardiner.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

^
Good example of why people still need to watch games instead of looking at nonsensical stats to judge player

CDH is awful at this point and was easily the worst Hawk of over last 2 years

Injuries caught up with him and he is liability every time he is on ice

Seems like good guy but there is a reason this "2nd pairing defender" is signing a PTO

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
^
Good example of why people still need to watch games instead of looking at nonsensical stats to judge player

CDH is awful at this point and was easily the worst Hawk of over last 2 years

Injuries caught up with him and he is liability every time he is on ice

Seems like good guy but there is a reason this "2nd pairing defender" is signing a PTO
Technically, anyone and everyone can be a liability every time they step on the ice

Reactions: Space umpire

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
deHaan (if signed) will be a good add in the proper role. He played 2nd pairing minutes in Chicago often against top 6 opponents. Also often playing with a kid as a partner. He was forced to carry the puck way too much. That’s not what he is anymore.
That’s too much for his battered body. He will be a good 3rd pairing guy playing solid minutes if you can keep him under 15 minutes a night.
To me the Matthews and Kane’s of the league always produce. It’s when 3rd and 4th lines score that breaks your back. Yet many teams bury young offensive Dmen on the 3rd pair.
Winners find sound defensive guys who know their job to fill that role.
I hope it works out for him there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad