Trade: [CAR/CLE] Baker Mayfield for 2024 conditional 5th round pick

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Cleveland probably shouldn't have spent a few months badmouthing the most successful QB in their new franchise history if they had wanted anything substantial in return for him.

Seems like a low risk, decent reward move for Carolina.

Reactions: DoyleG

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I don't think this trade return was affected at all by anything the Browns said. Other teams saw the same games. They understood why the Browns wanted to upgrade at QB.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Everybody kept saying Browns had to eat 75% for a trade to work

So I guess it is a win for them to only eat 50%

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Love it as a Panthers fan. He is much much better than Darnold. Was hoping for this since the Watson trade.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The Panthers are being run by Rhule instead of Fitterer. Last ditch effort trade for Rhule to keep his job, which I still don't understand as it seems like he is much better suited for NCAAF.

I actually like Baker and he is definitely an upgrade over Darnold, but even if Mayfield plays like 2018/2020 the team is probably maxed out at 7/8 wins.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Panthers are being run by Rhule instead of Fitterer. Last ditch effort trade for Rhule to keep his job, which I still don't understand as it seems like he is much better suited for NCAAF.

I actually like Baker and he is definitely an upgrade over Darnold, but even if Mayfield plays like 2018/2020 the team is probably maxed out at 7/8 wins.
Rhule got how much to coach the Panthers?
NCAA will be available to him if he gets fired by Carolina.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Wao only a 5th? Why so cheap? Isn't Baker an above-average QB? Expected at least a 2nd since that's what Garoppolo got.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It is what it is for Baker.
Don’t know how they’ll do in that division.

@snipes the Drew Lock era begins in Seattle!

Absolute pittance that was paid to acquire him by Carolina.

Seattle going for that 1st overall pick in the 2023 draft apparently. Bryce Young come on down.

Going to be a long season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Carroll the panthers just used a pick from the next year. When you get a guy on a rookie deal I don’t think that’s a big deal. I think it’s the same round that they drafted corral.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Savvy trade by the Panthers. We don't know what Baker is but giving up a 5th for someone who isn't Sam Darnold isn't a bad move at all. Frankly i'm surprised the Browns got anything in return.

I'm curious to see how Baker looks. Motivated by getting screwed over in Cleveland, fully healthy and essentially playing for his career as a starting QB. Should be interesting to watch unfold.

It is very much "shit or get off the pot time" for Mr. Mayfield.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Savvy trade by the Panthers. We don't know what Baker is but giving up a 5th for someone who isn't Sam Darnold isn't a bad move at all. Frankly i'm surprised the Browns got anything in return.

I'm curious to see how Baker looks. Motivated by getting screwed over in Cleveland, fully healthy and essentially playing for his career as a starting QB. Should be interesting to watch unfold.

It is very much "shit or get off the pot time" for Mr. Mayfield.
Baker apparently gave up $3.5 mill as Cle is paying like $10 mill and Car is paying $5 mill. He was due like $19 mill.

The $3.5 mill bet that he plays well enough to earn starter money for next season. Probably the smart call. But probably should have offered that a month ago when teams had their organized team activities going on to at least get the new playbook.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad