Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Canes sign Jack LaFontaine to ELC (1 year, $910.909k, two-way)

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Sounds like the Canes are about to make a trade with a goalie involved or maybe Lafontaine is about to be traded to a team that is planning to use him as a backup or AHL goalie

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Sounds like the Canes are about to make a trade with a goalie involved or maybe Lafontaine is about to be traded to a team that is planning to use him as a backup for AHL goalie
Both of our AHL goalies are hurt, and Raanta was scratched last night for injury necessitating starting Lyon off the taxi squad.

We need bodies, but this is a goalie we've been trying to sign since the summer. We actually see him as part of the future.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Sounds like the Canes are about to make a trade with a goalie involved or maybe Lafontaine is about to be traded to a team that is planning to use him as a backup or AHL goalie
I think they won’t. We have four goalies with injuries of some degree (2 NHL and 2 AHL) and our AHL team is playing with two guys that have a total of one AHL game between them this weekend.

Reactions: Tryamw

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
LaFontaine should start in ECHL. Don’t rush this kid in the middle of the season unless they don’t think too highly of him.

Reactions: uncleben

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Very weird, I’m guessing he got all possible bonus structures maybe?

I mean he is the captain of Gophers

it’s like Hey Justin Close, your now the guy with like zero warning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morrison and DaveG

jarboy

Dec 27, 2007
He started every game for the Gophers so far this season, and they will probably lose 3 guys to the Olympics. What a way to blow up a NCAA season.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Very weird, I’m guessing he got all possible bonus structures maybe?
No. Apparently league minimum salary $750k, ~90k signing bonus and maaaaybe a Games Played bonus to bring it up to the ELC max. Actual Performance Bonuses would be total waste of cap space when signing someone in middle season for a one year ELC because the player wouldn't get them anyway.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It is so very odd to happen now. It seems like an opportunity for him, but man... I feel for the Gophers in all of this.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
It may be in the middle of the NCAA season, but I mean, c'mon, it's his sixth year of college

at this point he's just hanging out picking up extra minors in dryad studies and interior decorating
Usually when minors go to college, they're geniuses that don't take goofy classes. It's also not fair to assume Jack is the type of creep that would do that.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't know much about LaFontaine, but the promise of getting a NHL payday and game or two is huge for a prospect like him. It could very well be the biggest payday he ever receives if he busts in the future.

Not saying he will bust, but goalies are unpredictable.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Totally unrelated, but I had the Minnesota/Michigan State game on yesterday and LaFontaine was rocking a brand new set of CCMs with a retro 2001-03 era graphic. I got more excited than I should admit when I saw those.

3ffb14ff4482e9a069e63401fcf0a37b_crop_exact.jpg

ed_belfour.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad