GDT: car 1 - 5 bos loss g day thread

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Blowing the 4 games they have in the manner they have is inexcusable. Especially twice having it be back to back games. That speaks to a lack of either discipline to do what the coach is telling you, or the coach just didn't identify what was going wrong and correcting it. How could they possibly play the 3rd period with a 1 goal lead exactly the same way they did the night before and not make an adjustment? I like Peters system and the game they are trying to play generally, but during actual games I question if he knows what the hell is doing.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
i honestly dont know if it is the coach or the players

why would any coach tell them to start playing like garbage in the third period?

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I know nothing about hockey, but to me, the problem in the third period (and the same problem in the opening night loss against WPG) is that gold standard of high amounts of puck possession is thrown out the window. I get it...they need to keep their shifts short...but this is what happens, possession ad nauseum:

1. Opponent enters their offense zone
  2. 30-second battle for possession, maybe a shot is taken
  3. Canes finally gain possession of the puck
  4. Canes chip it out so there's no icing
  5. Line change for Canes
  6. Opponent enters their offensive zone

So, they go *completely* away from their system so they can have 20 minutes of defensively responsible short-shifting. I dunno enough about systems to know what's wrong with their approach when having a lead in the 3rd period, but clearly it's entirely different. And to me, you can't put 20 minutes of terrible strategy on the players not executing.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Would love to know the reason for putting Hanifin out in the s.o.

1. Scored a goal that night (the hot hand)
  2. Had performed in the shootout before (also against BOS)
  3. Following Tripp's thought process, Hanifin wasn't on the team when Dobby played for us, so Dobby wouldn't be as familiar with his tendencies.

Has anyone ever actually used that for a free Bo berry biscuit? I'd be afraid they'd laugh me out of the drive thru line

You don't have to use the line. "I'd like my free BoBerry biscuit" is what I've used every time and never had any issues.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I know nothing about hockey, but to me, the problem in the third period (and the same problem in the opening night loss against WPG) is that gold standard of high amounts of puck possession is thrown out the window. I get it...they need to keep their shifts short...but this is what happens, possession ad nauseum:

5. Line change for Canes

So, they go *completely* away from their system so they can have 20 minutes of defensively responsible short-shifting. I dunno enough about systems to know what's wrong with their approach when having a lead in the 3rd period, but clearly it's entirely different. And to me, you can't put 20 minutes of terrible strategy on the players not executing.

Yes, exactly this. If it's not by design, it still lasted 20 minutes. There are 3 TV timeouts a period. There's no excuse for players and coaches not to fix that somehow.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
  1. Scored a goal that night (the hot hand)
  2. Had performed in the shootout before (also against BOS)
  3. Following Tripp's thought process, Hanifin wasn't on the team when Dobby played for us, so Dobby wouldn't be as familiar with his tendencies.

You don't have to use the line. "I'd like my free BoBerry biscuit" is what I've used every time and never had any issues.

Last time Faulk scored a goal I went to Moes in Crabtree for free queso. I ordered it and they added it to my meal total. I said "No, it's free. Justin Faulk scored last night". The cashier looked at me like I was clearly trying to scam him, shrugged, dismissively said "whatever", and then removed the queso.

There is a giant freaking sign hanging up in plain view featuring Justin Faulk and stating the promotion.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Hey! It's Feel Good Friday. The Canes with the lowest payroll in the NHL are just 4 points out of a wild card. One nice 7-10 days and they're knocking on the playoffs door. If Staal and Lindholm are out long term I get it, it sucks. But c'mon, isn't this team better than last year? Doesn't it still give you hope that next year they'll be even better?

Optimism abounds!

As painful as it's been to watch these last two games, there's some truth to this. Still at NHL .500 on December 1st. If they can put together the kind of second half that they put together last year, playoffs are still a realistic possibility.

But man, the process is sure painful to behold.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

5. Line change for Canes

Once they lost Lindholm, they were forced to short shift.

Sucks, but it is what it is.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As painful as it's been to watch these last two games, there's some truth to this. Still at NHL .500 on December 1st. If they can put together the kind of second half that they put together last year, playoffs are still a realistic possibility.

But man, the process is sure painful to behold.

Yeah, even with this blown games, they are 3-5 points better this year than last year at the same time. That's not saying much as they really stunk last year in Oct/Nov, but still, they are in a better position.

12/2/16: 9-9-5 = 23 points in 23 games
12/2/15: 8-12-4 = 20 points in 24 games

Last year the improved play really started on 12/5 and a week later (12/12), they were 12-14-4 (28 points in 30 games). The Canes really need to gain some points over the next 5 games (@NYR, TBL, @ANA, @LA, @SJS) or they'll be in worse shape than they were last season at the mid-December mark.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Last time Faulk scored a goal I went to Moes in Crabtree for free queso. I ordered it and they added it to my meal total. I said "No, it's free. Justin Faulk scored last night". The cashier looked at me like I was clearly trying to scam him, shrugged, dismissively said "whatever", and then removed the queso.

There is a giant freaking sign hanging up in plain view featuring Justin Faulk and stating the promotion.

Same thing happened to me at the Moe's in Chapel Hill not too long after they opened last year except they didn't take off the queso. I contacted the regional manager and got some absurd amount of gift certificates because of it. Homewreckers for everybody!

This was included with sarcastically comical intent, yes?

Your humor borders on too dry for my taste, sir!

:laugh: He did make this point during the broadcast though as to why it was a good idea to lead off with Slavin and Hanifin so I guess the two brain cells between Tripp's ears happened to rub together at just the right time there.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Same thing happened to me at the Moe's in Chapel Hill not too long after they opened last year except they didn't take off the queso. I contacted the regional manager and got some absurd amount of gift certificates because of it. Homewreckers for everybody!

:laugh: He did make this point during the broadcast though as to why it was a good idea to lead off with Slavin and Hanifin so I guess the two brain cells between Tripp's ears happened to rub together at just the right time there.

can i have a gift certificate

i havent had a joey bag in forever

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Good God the overreaction here is ridiculous.

Boston is a solid team and they beat us in a shootout. I watched the second half of the game only, so maybe we played like **** in the first half, but I thought the second half was pretty even. Yeah it sucks we never score an ENG. Yeah it sucks that the team is no good at shootouts. Yeah it sucks we have the lowest payroll in the league by far. Can only blame PK for that one, and for most of our troubles at that.

As frustrating as a shootout loss is, we played well IMO. Our forecheck was excellent tonight and we by in large prevented them from getting clean zone entries. It is frustrating as hell that they scored late, but it happens and no one is directly to blame for such a quick strike goal. The three Canes penalties at the end were kind of ******** though, each one was extremely ticky tacky in my opinion. On the tripping call (if I recall correctly) Stemp just gingerly laid his stick by the guy and he clearly fell down to draw a penalty, but Stemp could not have exerted enough force to knock the guy down. Boston played the game somewhat clean, but there was a particularly noticeable interference on Skinner in the third that wasn't called. Skinner never gets those.

The main thing as many of you pointed out is we don't have the horses on offense. Jordan Staal is perhaps just as valuable as Skinner is to this team, and his loss is huge. Derek Ryan is terrible, but we have so few viable options in the AHL. McGinn is playing better defensively at least. Aho looked special, as usual.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Reid Boucher on waivers. Wonder if the Canes would be interested now with Jordan and Linholm out. Canes need scorers.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
For me personally it's the inconsistency the team has. I know that they are a young group and they do not have the talent level that most teams have but you can see that the system can work. You can also see flashes of the team when they click and they look like a very good team without equal horses. We hold a team to 2 goals or less, I expect many more wins than losses and we're losing most of them. What sucks is that we begged for Cam and the D to get their **** together and they finally did and whatever offense we had has just disappeared.

We're currently getting top half of the league goal tending and we can't take advantage of it. We have Slavin and Pesce playing out of their minds right now and we can't take advantage of it. You are not winning games scoring one goal without Price. There is hope but there are also so many holes with our forwards that it feels extremely diminished.

Skinner, Rask, Staal, and Aho are the only forwards I'm sure that I want to stay. Lindholm is working harder and making good plays but he needs more time. I forget TT is even playing half the time. Stempniak and Stalberg are good role players but they are not part of the future. Yes we have a nice 4th line but that leaves 4-5 holes to fill on the offense that probably won't be filled quickly. I believe the process will work. Now it just the hard part. They are not actively bad as they were in years past. They are just mediocre a majority of the time with flashes of what they could be.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm quite shocked to learn that we are only 4 points out of a wild card spot. Also only 11 points behind Montreal.

A winning streak here and there might keep them in the race. But blowing leads is not going to help anything. We're not going to get Nolan Patrick.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Yeah, even with this blown games, they are 3-5 points better this year than last year at the same time. That's not saying much as they really stunk last year in Oct/Nov, but still, they are in a better position.

12/2/16: 9-9-5 = 23 points in 23 games
12/2/15: 8-12-4 = 20 points in 24 games

Last year the improved play really started on 12/5 and a week later (12/12), they were 12-14-4 (28 points in 30 games). The Canes really need to gain some points over the next 5 games (@NYR, TBL, @ANA, @LA, @SJS) or they'll be in worse shape than they were last season at the mid-December mark.

Starting on Dec. 6th last season they had 4 games in a row with 5 goals. I just don't see this current group putting up 5 goals even once in December. I hope I'm wrong.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Starting on Dec. 6th last season they had 4 games in a row with 5 goals. I just don't see this current group putting up 5 goals even once in December. I hope I'm wrong.

i dont think they did that last year

there must be some other explanation for why the box score has that big of a number there

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
i dont think they did that last year

there must be some other explanation for why the box score has that big of a number there

Most likely a summer intern did the data entry for their 2015-2016 season stats. That would explain the multiple 4 goal games, and the one 6 goal game. He got let go after typing "6".

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
I think this team made a deal with the devil in 2006. Probably the toughest stretch of games in their schedule and they lose their best defensive forward (Jordan) and Lindholm, who has actually been playing his best. This stretch is going to make or break us and I don't see them making it. Jordan is a bigger piece to this puzzle then I think we all realized.

But yeah, this team has got to start ******** in the 3rd periods. How many leads have we had going into the third only to lose in regulation or OT/SO. I've lost count it's been too damn many.

I'm actually glad they play at 1pm tomorrow. I've got **** to do and won't feel obligated to watch them lose again in the 3rd. I need a break especially since I will be at Sunday's game. Need a break, they anger me.

Hockeywatching

May 9, 2015
One day last year I did all three when Justin Faulk scored the third goal on a power play.

Bojangle's for breakfast (Free BoBerry), Moe's for lunch (Free Queso) and Papa John's for dinner (50% off). Nowhere to go in life but down from there I guess.

Has anyone ever actually used that for a free Bo berry biscuit? I'd be afraid they'd laugh me out of the drive thru line

I always use the line: "I'm a Crazy Caniac and it's Bo Time. With Extra Magic too". They never ever laugh or react to it. They just say the order into the mic without expression.

The first time I tried to get Free Queso from Moe's the cashier told me I needed my ticket stub from the game last night. I told them no it's the day after Justin Faulk scores for anyone, but they insisted I needed a ticket stub. I contacted the Hurricanes via twitter and they said they'd talk to the Moe's in question.

I was unable to watch the game but looked at recap on DTMTS and I think it was a bad idea. I felt the same emotional highs and lows but in much more compressed timespan. I'm nowhere near a hockey expert and even I can see that the feel of the game is so much different in the third period recently (I assume from the comments it was the same here). It's like two different teams are being iced imo.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
With Lindy and Staal out, McC played what 18 mins last night?

Only 4 points back, don't know if your risk making a move or what now. But that kills any strength we had in the middle.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Not enough complaining about how the team can't score imo.

Defensive shell is fine, especially when your defensive, face off expert center is out. Also when li doom is out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad