Captain McDavid?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Given how the current Hall/RNH/Eberle "core" may be falling out of favour and the new core will be with McDavid at the center and everything else built around him, I think you could make a case for it. Let's not kid ourselves, it's only a matter of time before he gets the C so why screw around?

It won't be the first time nor the last that a young guy was made captain, it just depends if he has the maturity to handle it. From what I've seen, McDavid is very mature for his age...so why not?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
He shouldn't. He won't even have played a full season. The team is in shambles, go another year with out a captain. The new rink doesn't change much, still need a winning team.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
If Chia really blows up the old core and gets rid of basically all of them then I would be on board with this.

If he doesn't then we should wait another year to see how things shake down.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
The question for me is, can you change the character and attitude of the team without trading Hall (not saying he's the cause of it)?

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Given how the current Hall/RNH/Eberle "core" may be falling out of favour and the new core will be with McDavid at the center and everything else built around him, I think you could make a case for it. Let's not kid ourselves, it's only a matter of time before he gets the C so why screw around?

It won't be the first time nor the last that a young guy was made captain, it just depends if he has the maturity to handle it. From what I've seen, McDavid is very mature for his age...so why not?

I agree. One year into his career and he already seems more mature then any one of Hall/RNH/Eberle, and he feels like he could be driving Schultz to the rink. Trade Hall first though, I feel like there could be some animosity there if they skipped over him for C.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He should be made captain as soon as possible we need for him to feel free to exert his influence on and of the ice asap. New guys come in, even franchise players and they are deferential to existing players. We need to set him free sooner than later.

Last edited:

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Why...........???

What are the chances TM makes #97 the Captain in the off season?

Would be a nice way to step onto the new ice in the new barn.

Thoughts?

The kid is just nineteen years old.........and is in his first year in the NHL.

Why bother?............just plan.........silly! Leave him alone.........wait another two or three years and see who emerges as a leader on the club.

Another year without playoffs and people are bored so they have to stretch their imaginations.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I agree. One year into his career and he already seems more mature then any one of Hall/RNH/Eberle, and he feels like he could be driving Schultz to the rink. Trade Hall first though, I feel like there could be some animosity there if they skipped over him for C.

I think I agree. Either trade Hall or give Hall the C and the team.

The result would be less pressure on Connor. He can focus on being the best player on the team and not necessarily the leader. There's just no reason to do it now, he'll have played ~40-50 games when next season starts.

Now, if there's HUGE changes, then yeah, maybe make him the C. But, unless this core is gone I don't see why you'd do it.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
The kid is just nineteen years old.........and is in his first year in the NHL.

Why bother?............just plan.........silly! Leave him alone.........wait another two or three years and see who emerges as a leader on the club.

Another year without playoffs and people are bored so they have to stretch their imaginations.

I think you might want to brace yourself then, he's going to be Captain. If not next year then absolutely the year after, right after he becomes he highest paid player in the league.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
as long as hall is on the team next year, i don't think they give it to mcdavid just yet.... i would guess that they go with a rotating captain next year, or none at all if hall is still on the team... if hall is traded this summer, which all of a sudden doesn't seem as crazy as it once did, then mcdavid gets the C for sure

personally i only want hall traded for a massive overpayment, eberle/RNH/yakupov/nurse would be traded before hall in my world

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I have always been a champion of Hall being captain. He displays some of the markings of it. However, I do have to admit that he also tends to get a bad attitude and shirk away from leading when hes in a bad mood.

At this point I do have to admit my error and join the Mc David for captain in 2017. Go without one next year .

McDeathbyCheerios*

as long as hall is on the team next year, i don't think they give it to mcdavid just yet.... i would guess that they go with a rotating captain next year, or none at all if hall is still on the team... if hall is traded this summer, which all of a sudden doesn't seem as crazy as it once did, then mcdavid gets the C for sure

personally i only want hall traded for a massive overpayment, eberle/RNH/yakupov/nurse would be traded before hall in my world
This team needs a captain next year. Not any of that rotating business.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
It's going to be McDavid but I don't mind waiting until the team around him can at least help him pull us out of the gutter.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Here's a thought...instead of one or the other, why not co-captains? Chris Drury and Daniel Briere did that in Buffalo a few years ago and it worked out well.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Yeah this is McDavid's team and I'm pretty sure everyone and their dog knows it. It's just a matter of time.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
I'd offer it to him, if he doesn't feel up to it continue on as is.

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
Disclaimer: I have never been in the room and have zero input on the Oilers Captaincy

I'd give it to Hall he's a vocal leader and even though he's not the best player on the team it's clear he'd bleed for this team, can't say that about a lot of other members.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
I used to think Hall would make a good captain. Not so much anymore. Watching him when things are not going his way has changed my opinion. McDavid has dealt with heavy media pressure for some time now, he always seems calm and positive regardless of any situation. I think if the oilers don't make Hall captain, he should be the one that's traded to fix the roster. Nobody ever envisioned nuge or ebs being captain, wheras passing over Hall for the C might cause issues. Hall would also get the best return right now. Sell high. Makes too much sense.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
with the effort he shows night in and night out he has that jump on my back and lets go attitude. unlike hall he makes everyone else around him better. pure captain.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Disclaimer: I have never been in the room and have zero input on the Oilers Captaincy

I'd give it to Hall he's a vocal leader and even though he's not the best player on the team it's clear he'd bleed for this team, can't say that about a lot of other members.

Hall isn't a vocal leader, though. Good player, and he's really matured through the years, but he's not captain material. I just don't see him being named captain with McDavid on the team, and especially after a season where the team has exceeded all expectations in a bad way. The team needs big changes and Hall's future here has never been in more doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad