Captain Material

AvInNebr

Jul 10, 2013
Nebraska
I know that we have our C in Landy but this topic has been in my mind a while, since talk of how Hejduk wouldn't be captain forever was around. It seems that the Avalanche as we all know draft for character as well as skill and you often hear about how their draft picks were captains of their teams. It got to the point that I heard it so much I wondered just how many of our current players and prospects were captains of their teams at one point.

MacKinnon this year may not be the best example not being the Mooseheads captain (or alternate) but he was a captain at the top prospects game.

Anyone have a good resource for finding that information?

Maybe I'll collect the information here if others were interested as well...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Information gathered from Elite Prospects website (thanks Foppa). Please let me know if there are additions or changes needed...

Current Team:
Landeskog -
07-08: Sweden U16 Intl Jr. “C”
08-09: Stockholm 1 “C”, Sweden U17 Intl Jr “C”, Sweden WJC U18 “A”, Sweden U18 Int JR “C”
09-10: Sweden Intl Jr U18 “C”
10-11: Kitchener Rangers “C”, Sweden WJC U20 “A”, Sweden Intl Jr U20 “A”
11-12: Sweden WC “A”, Sweden Intl “A”
12-13: Colorado Avalanche “C”

Matt Duchene-
06-07: Cent Ont AAA (ETAMMHL) “C”
08-09: Brampton Battalion “A”, Canada JWC U18 “C”
?: Elite Prospects has an Image where he is in a CHL jersey with an “A”. Top Prospects game perhaps?

Ryan O’Reilly-
08-09: Erie Otters (OHL) “A”, Canada WJC U18 “C”

Stefan Elliott-
Siemens gave Elliott the “A” in Saskatoon in ’10-11 upon his return from Avs camp. EliteProspects doesn’t reflect this however.

Tyson Barrie-
10-11: Kelowna Rockets (WHL) “C”

Paul Stastny-
08-09: Colorado Avalanche “A”
09-10: Colorado Avalanche “A”
10-11: Colorado Avalanche “A”
11-12: Colorado Avalanche “A”
12-13: Colorado Avalanche “A”, USA WC “C”

PA Parenteau-
09-10: Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL) “A”

John Mitchell-
11-12: Connecticut Whale (AHL) “A”

Steve Downie-
06-07: Peterborough Petes (OHL) “C”, Canada WJC U20 “A”

Cory Sarich-
97-98: Canada WJC U20 “C”

Erik Johnson-
10-11: St Louis Blues “A”

Matt Hunwick-
05-06: UofMichigan “A”
06-07: UofMichigan “C”

Andre Benoit-
10-11: Binghamton Senators (AHL) “A”
12-13: Binghamton Senators (AHL) “C”

Prospects:
Nathan MacKinnon-
11-12: Canada Atlantic U17 “C”
12-13: Halifax Mooseheads “A”, Top Prospects game “C”

Chris Bigras-
10-11: Barrie Colts AAA (ETAMMHL) “C”

Mason Geertsen-
09-10: Leduc Oil Kings AAA (AMBHL) “C”
10-11: Sherwook Park Kings AAA (AMHL) “A”

Wilhelm Westlund-
10-11: Sweden U16 Itnl Jr “A”

Troy Bourke-
12-13: Prince George Cougars (WHL) “A”

Colin Smith-
12-13: Kamloops Blazers (WHL) “A”

Duncan Siemens-
11-12: Saskatoon Blades (WHL) “A”
12-13: Saskatoon Blades (WHL) “C”, later stripped (reason unknown)

Gabriel Beaupre-
10-11: Val-d’Or Foreurs (QMJHL) “A”
11-12: Val-d’Or Foreurs (QMJHL) “A”
12-13: Val-d’Or Foreurs (QMJHL) “A”

Dillon Donnelly-
11-12: Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL) “A”

Luke Moffatt-
12-13: UofMichigan “A”

Andrew Agozzino-
09-10: Niagara IceDogs (OHL) “C”
10-11: Niagara IceDogs (OHL) “C”
11-12: Niagara IceDogs (OHL) “C”

Paul Carey-
11-12: Boston College “A”

Guillaume Desbiens-
11-12: Abbotsford Heat (AHL) “A”

Bryan Lerg-
06-07: Michigan State “A”
07-08: Michigan State “C”
12-13: Lake Erie Monsters “A”

Michael Sgarbossa-
11-12: Sudbury Wolves (OHL) “A”

David Van Der Gulik-
05-06: Boston University “C”
12-13: Lake Erie Monsters “A”

JT Wyman-
07-08: Dartmouth College “A”

Nate Guenin-
03-04: Ohio State “A”
04-05: Ohio State “A”
05-06: Ohio State “C”
10-11: Springfield Falcons (AHL) “A”
11-12: Syracuse Crunch (AHL) “C”
12-13: Norfolk Admirals (AHL) “C”

Nick Holden-
07-08: Chiliwack Bruins (WHL) “C”

Karl Stollery-
10-11: Merrimack College “A”
11-12: Merrimack College “C”

Drafted in the last 5 years but not with team:
Michael Bournival (drafted in ’10 but later traded)-
10-11: Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL) “C”
11-12: Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL) “C”

Stephen Silas (drafted in ’10 but no longer on roster)-
12-13: Belleville Bulls (OHL) “A”

Troy Rutkowski (drafted in ’10 but signed by Ottawa this past offseason)-
10-11: Portland Winterhawks (WHL) “A”
11-12: Portland Winterhawks (WHL) “A”
12-13: Portland Winterhawks (WHL) “C”

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Barrie was captain for the Kelowna Rockets, Duchene had an A for Brampton. Those are the only ones I know off the top of my head.

FinHockey

Sex Metal Barbie
Nov 10, 2009
Finland
Not exactly what you're looking for but Stastny was the captain of Team USA this May at the WHC.

Roz

Jul 2, 2013
NS
The Mooseheads rotated their third alternate, so Nate did wear a letter occasionally.

9u4NrxS.jpg

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Ryan O'Reilly was captain for the U-18 Canadian team in 2009?

can_oreilley_2370.jpg

I think he also was a co-captain for the Erie Otters.

Obviously, Landeskog was captian in Kitchner and for Sweden.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I know for sure that Elliott was an "A" in his final year with Saskatoon in 2010-11. That was also the year that Siemens gave up his "A", in order to give it to Elliott after he returned from pro camp.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I know for sure that Elliott was an "A" in his final year with Saskatoon in 2010-11. That was also the year that Siemens gave up his "A", in order to give it to Elliott after he returned from pro camp.

Jesus. Siemens gave up his A and his C.

I don't know if that is great leadership, or poor leadership. :sarcasm:

AvInNebr

Jul 10, 2013
Nebraska
Thanks again Foppa for the great link. I have gone through our current players, our listed prospects per the Avs website, as well as our past five drafts and updated the initial posts with all their listings. If we find others I'll gladly update that initial post but the list seems pretty complete. Lots of players who have been a "C" or an "A" at one time or another on there... (Though I think they are lacking on Avalanche "A"s honestly so if one of our guys has worn the "A" as I think at least EJ has I'll correct that...)

As to the question of why Siemens was stripped of the "C" ... I don't know. I know he and the team were off to a horrid start but don't know if that was what brought it about or not. I know when he was stripped he wasn't given an "A" even however...

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The C is so overrated by fans IMO. I just don't see the whole excitement around it and I really don't think it makes a very big difference in the W column.

AvInNebr

Jul 10, 2013
Nebraska
The C is so overrated by fans IMO. I just don't see the whole excitement around it and I really don't think it makes a very big difference in the W column.

The letter itself, yeah, perhaps. I think the reasoning behind the letters is important though and does make a difference in the W column (though skill is and drive are as important or more so). Those players seen as captain or assistant material are generally the ones with the drive and work ethic to make a team better, to drive not only themselves but those around them to be better and be accountable.

Sure, having that 'C' doesn't necessarily mean that you are that type of player but more often than not it does ... and sure you don't have to be a 'C' or 'A' to be that type of player (see O'Reilly a couple years ago) ... but I do think that type of character, those with that leaders' mentality and drive to be better and make those around them better, is very important and it appears that the Avs do as well based on the number of people in the organization that have that kind of history with previous teams.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Siemens wasn't given the C in 2012-13 (after being the C in 2011-12) due to many reasons. During his year as captain, there was a lot of turmoil in the room. Guys didn't get a long. Siemens was part of that. He never really got along with many guys on the team, just because he's a bit of a different cat. Therefore many of those guys didn't respect him as a leader and there was some turmoil in the room because of it. To go along with that, he was also late for a couple team meetings because of sleeping in..something a captain should never do. Another reason why guys didn't respect him as a leader.

The coach simply decided to go in another direction this past year. Siemens used it as motivation for sure, and had a fantastic year this past season. It was easily his best year in the WHL, regardless of his offensive numbers. He wasn't given an A this past year because the new captain was given free reign to choose his own alternate captains. Siemens wasn't among his choices. He was mature about it and never pouted and it never altered their relationship. Not only that, but he still acted as if he was a captain with his play on the ice. He's a leader and has a chance to be at least an A later in his NHL career.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The letter itself, yeah, perhaps. I think the reasoning behind the letters is important though and does make a difference in the W column (though skill is and drive are as important or more so). Those players seen as captain or assistant material are generally the ones with the drive and work ethic to make a team better, to drive not only themselves but those around them to be better and be accountable.

Sure, having that 'C' doesn't necessarily mean that you are that type of player but more often than not it does ... and sure you don't have to be a 'C' or 'A' to be that type of player (see O'Reilly a couple years ago) ... but I do think that type of character, those with that leaders' mentality and drive to be better and make those around them better, is very important and it appears that the Avs do as well based on the number of people in the organization that have that kind of history with previous teams.

I would argue that having 10 veterans with great chemistry is more important than one guy who is a good captain (or 10 former captains who all have their own opinions on how the team should be ran).

It's just like any sport - 10 All-Stars together on a team can sometimes be brutal rather than harmonious.

AvInNebr

Jul 10, 2013
Nebraska
Siemens wasn't given the C in 2012-13 (after being the C in 2011-12) due to many reasons. During his year as captain, there was a lot of turmoil in the room. Guys didn't get a long. Siemens was part of that. He never really got along with many guys on the team, just because he's a bit of a different cat. Therefore many of those guys didn't respect him as a leader and there was some turmoil in the room because of it. To go along with that, he was also late for a couple team meetings because of sleeping in..something a captain should never do. Another reason why guys didn't respect him as a leader.

The coach simply decided to go in another direction this past year. Siemens used it as motivation for sure, and had a fantastic year this past season. It was easily his best year in the WHL, regardless of his offensive numbers. He wasn't given an A this past year because the new captain was given free reign to choose his own alternate captains. Siemens wasn't among his choices. He was mature about it and never pouted and it never altered their relationship. Not only that, but he still acted as if he was a captain with his play on the ice. He's a leader and has a chance to be at least an A later in his NHL career.

Great info. I imagine him being 17(ish) at the time of being named Captain probably didn't help his case but sleeping in and being late would be a horrible example to set. Glad he used it and grew from it. Look forward to seeing what he does this year.

I would argue that having 10 veterans with great chemistry is more important than one guy who is a good captain (or 10 former captains who all have their own opinions on how the team should be ran).

It's just like any sport - 10 All-Stars together on a team can sometimes be brutal rather than harmonious.

Oh I agree that having a room of guys with great chemistry is much more important than having a room of guys who have had leadership roles in the past all with their own ideas on how to do things. Now where all these guys fit we'll see but thus far for the most part we've heard about how they enjoy playing together and not how they clash so I'm hopefully that all that character they've gathered in the organization is a major positive...

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The Avalanche sure love leadership.

They love gritty hard-working players. I guess It makes sense, look at last Stanley Cup winners, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago.. All those teams are very talented, but also very hard workers. This is what wins championships, playing for the team and working your ass off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad