Captain Kyle Okposo

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
I believe our interests are best served by saying thank you Kyle.
Hopefully he retires and we move on. He has most certainly served us well and I hate to come across as dumping on him. I'm not. I just think his role was well served this year but we're moving on.
I believe Tuch is more than able to assume the role of Captain. I admire what Kyle did manage to bring to the table this season but we are past the coddling stage and need to be balls to the wall from this point forward. Thank you Kyle Okposo.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
I won't call it yet.

There's times he's looked toast this year, but he's the leader of the group.

I won't undersell that.

I get that and in fact Kyle had some nice moments this year. But he can't roll with this group and another year with father time on him I just don't see it. The contracts up and he excelled by living up to it the last two years when everyone wanted to buy him out.
It would be embarrassing now to me to bring him back. What kind of offer are you likely to give him? 2 Mil? Isn't that insulting? And then if he did come back, is he still Captain? I don't think so. This group is ready to move on. He ultimately served us well. Thank you Kyle.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Please. Kyle has been toast for a while. Don't want him on the team at all he can easily be replaced and his " Leadership " i don't see it besides a few players giving canned answers.

Reactions: Fearnot

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Please. Kyle has been toast for a while. Don't want him on the team at all he can easily be replaced and his " Leadership " i don't see it besides a few players giving canned answers.

Ok, I am trying to show the man some respect. He looked lost a few short years ago and incapable of getting back to this level. He has mentored the youth this year big time, So while I don't want him back, I do want to show him my respect and appreciation for where is and where he came from.
I can't believe after the massive concussion issues he has played some good hockey, at times for us since then but his time has most certainly come here now.

I've been confused sometimes this season that some people are thinking oh, we should bring him back at vet minimum or something. No thanks. We can agree without any remorse, it's just time to move on.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd say part of it is overuse but the legs aren't there. Having too many forwards being unable to reliably defend meant he often got a lot more 5-on-5 minutes than would keep him fresh. He was 6th in time on ice (including 6th at 5-on-5, 4th while shorthanded) among all Sabre forwards. That's second line if we're being frank.

And the issue is that while the team talked up learning and teaching, there were still plenty of nights when Peterka, Quinn, and Olofsson were on the bench in games because they struggled defensively and Okposo gave them reliable minutes. I'm not sure they can look at how they tend to roll lines when things are working and how there seems to be a trust issue with the coaching staff and some of their youngsters (rightly so as the kids very much gave up chances pretty regularly), I don't see the path to shortening his minutes.

That said, the team talks about how he organizes things, how he works in care for his body, how he is on them about preparation and keeps the room tight. That's not something I know they have a player who organically steps into all of that and they certainly aren't replacing that from outside.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
He’s done.

Hopefully management realizes it before he’s even worse next year.

Hopefully he realizes it and makes an easy peasy deal and retires. With dignity and health intact.
If not then KA must step in and tell him.
There are three or four roster spots that will or should be open next season. And I'm not including D in that number.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Love Okie, he was a good solider and helped turn things around in the room in a very toxic time. But he's done, we cannot bring him back in the form of a roster player.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
1 year. No more than 1 million. Captain. 4th line RW/13th forward. If all parties agree to this and KO’s ego doesn’t get hurt then let’s ride for one last year and he can be the leader that got this team back in the playoffs. Then retire, the kids will be alright.

Sorry, this just can't happen.

Kyle is heart and soul but washed up. Your scenario is sad. Sad for Kyle, sad for everyone that played with him this season. Your scenario is bust. Cannot happen. This is embarrassing for everyone if this was allowed to play out. No thanks. From everyone but you.

I like KO more at the end of his contract than I did earlier on. Pretty clear that everyone in the org holds him in the highest esteem.

The time has come. There is ample leadership in the room and there are not enough forward spots available next season.

I hope KO takes a FO job.

This sums up my feelings better than I'm trying to sum up my feelings.
It is a black and white issue. Thank You Kyle. We're done. Appreciate you pal!

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I actually thought he played pretty damn well in some of these do or die games, but I agree with a lot of you that he should hang them up next year. I'm hoping him and Jost are replaced next season.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If Adams liked the role of Okposo, he should be able to find another vet with better legs that can offer the same type of game and leadership, without the awkward “the captaincy should be given to Tuch” feeling every night. If the room can’t manage life post-Okposo then they are doing something wrong.

It’s been time to move on from him for 3 years.

Reactions: beerme1

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Kyle was a horrible captain. There were too many times this year where this team was absolutely lost and it just kept unraveling. I don't know how many times I asked, "Why is our captain to get this under control?"

This team was extremely lost without Tuch. Tuch was the leader of this team, but I felt a sense of pull back from him because he didn't want to step on Okposo shoes.

It's time for Okposo to go.

Also, this nonsense of Dahlin being captain is insane to me. He's a perfect A, but he lacks the cut throat element of a captain. He doesn't hold his teammates responsible enough. Way too nice.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Thank you Kyle for everything you've given to the blue and gold, we're a better team now due to your leadership. We'll miss you. Enjoy retirement, and embrace the new chapter in your life!

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Best case scenario is he retires. If he comes back for a year, role out a traditional 4th line with less minutes and a PK center

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad