Post-Game Talk: Caps VS Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Tom Wilson made some nice plays but I think he played smarter last year. That offside could have been avoided if he made an effort to walk the blue line.
I thought Jensen slowed down as he was getting to the line. It took him a long time to get that puck over the blue line.
I wouldn't really blame anyone. It's just a hockey play that happens several times every game. Only reason this is different is because the goal that shouldn't have happened was disallow after reviewing it.
The point is. If the linesman made the right call there would be no goal to overturn.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
My 5 cents worth:

I thought Sprong was invisible.
Hathaway plays with a lot of heart
VV wasn't great - but he's the better goaltender at the moment.
I think Backstrom is struggling with the linemates he's been given - not seeing any chemistry.
Orlov - love the effort and his all around play
Dillon - seems to be doubting himself, plays nervously at times and makes dumb mistakes
Schultz - I really like his game. I know he makes mistakes but I think he's much more of an asset than a liability
Chara - if he wasn't so big I don't think he'd still be playing in the NHL. He is very slow - not just skating, but his decision making as well.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Chara - if he wasn't so big I don't think he'd still be playing in the NHL. He is very slow - not just skating, but his decision making as well.

I don’t think his physical speed is much of an issue given his long reach and stick, and that he generally heads back to the D-zone a step before others to prevent a breakaway. But I’ve noticed he’s much more indecisive when he has the puck at the moment than he was at the start of the season. Hard to know if that’s fatigue or over-coaching or age or what.

What I still don’t understand about these pairs is who is intended to be a shutdown pair? Up front you’ve clearly got 73-19-43/77 and 16-26-21 as shutdown options when you want them, but on the backend you’re either looking at:

9-74 – your two most offensively talented guys on shutdown duty
4-2 – Schultz on shutdown, with a mistaken-prone Dillon
33-3 – a shutdown third pair that’s successful only in sheltered/limited minutes.

But then 4-74 doesn’t work either, and you don’t want a guy as slow as Chara holding back Carlson. Dillon–Jensen, or Orlov–Jensen, seems like the only ideal shutdown combinations and even then Jensen didn’t perform brilliantly in that role last year?

I would seriously consider seeing if Siegenthaler over Dillon works better, because the current D-corps isn’t quite the right mix in practice.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Glad for Jake but he was otherwise awful. He has zero confidence right now.

I’m always baffled by coaches who’ll readily scratch young players who are underperforming, but not vets, as though long term trust/damage can only be caused to one of them. Perhaps a guy with the experience of Dillon would direct more anger or resentment towards the coaching staff, sure, but he isn’t likely to start doubting his own game or what he can bring in the same way as when a guy like Vrana or Burakovsky sits out.

You have to wonder if it causes a longer term associative problem for less-established players – if they hit another stretch where their play isn’t as great, or a cold streak, do they start to self-doubt their own game more and more because they’re focussing on that next inevitable benching/scratching, rather than on how to get back to good hockey? Do they come to associate production with simply hanging onto their spot in the lineup, rather than the product itself? Surely part of the problem for a guy like Vrana is learning to play through the bad stretches or cold streaks that all players experience, especially scoring wingers, and he isn’t going to learn that in the press box. We know Burakovsky’s confidence was crushed while he was a Cap (and scratched during every season he played here), but he’s absolutely an NHL regular on a great Colorado team and playing with confidence. Schmidt ended his time in Washington as their #7, and even got pulled in favour of Taylor Chorney at times during the regular season, before immediately leading the Golden Knights to the Cup Finals as their top D. In Washington he was perpetually treated as a kid, in Vegas he was a player. Stephenson’s on a similar path. I’d hate for Vrana to be heading in the same direction.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I don’t think his physical speed is much of an issue given his long reach and stick, and that he generally heads back to the D-zone a step before others to prevent a breakaway. But I’ve noticed he’s much more indecisive when he has the puck at the moment than he was at the start of the season. Hard to know if that’s fatigue or over-coaching or age or what.

What I still don’t understand about these pairs is who is intended to be a shutdown pair? Up front you’ve clearly got 73-19-43/77 and 16-26-21 as shutdown options when you want them, but on the backend you’re either looking at:

9-74 – your two most offensively talented guys on shutdown duty
4-2 – Schultz on shutdown, with a mistaken-prone Dillon
33-3 – a shutdown third pair that’s successful only in sheltered/limited minutes.

But then 4-74 doesn’t work either, and you don’t want a guy as slow as Chara holding back Carlson. Dillon–Jensen, or Orlov–Jensen, seems like the only ideal shutdown combinations and even then Jensen didn’t perform brilliantly in that role last year?

I would seriously consider seeing if Siegenthaler over Dillon works better, because the current D-corps isn’t quite the right mix in practice.

It's really weird. I felt like earlier in the season our D corps was very calm, collected, and confident....and now they aren't??

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m always baffled by coaches who’ll readily scratch young players who are underperforming, but not vets, as though long term trust/damage can only be caused to one of them. Perhaps a guy with the experience of Dillon would direct more anger or resentment towards the coaching staff, sure, but he isn’t likely to start doubting his own game or what he can bring in the same way as when a guy like Vrana or Burakovsky sits out.

You have to wonder if it causes a longer term associative problem for less-established players – if they hit another stretch where their play isn’t as great, or a cold streak, do they start to self-doubt their own game more and more because they’re focussing on that next inevitable benching/scratching, rather than on how to get back to good hockey? Do they come to associate production with simply hanging onto their spot in the lineup, rather than the product itself? Surely part of the problem for a guy like Vrana is learning to play through the bad stretches or cold streaks that all players experience, especially scoring wingers, and he isn’t going to learn that in the press box. We know Burakovsky’s confidence was crushed while he was a Cap (and scratched during every season he played here), but he’s absolutely an NHL regular on a great Colorado team and playing with confidence. Schmidt ended his time in Washington as their #7, and even got pulled in favour of Taylor Chorney at times during the regular season, before immediately leading the Golden Knights to the Cup Finals as their top D. In Washington he was perpetually treated as a kid, in Vegas he was a player. Stephenson’s on a similar path. I’d hate for Vrana to be heading in the same direction.

letting Vrana continue to suck and get ice time also clearly isn’t the answer.

sometime the carrot is needed, sometime the stick.

Have to trust the coaching staff, otherwise it’s easy to second guess with only our limited “fan view” of the situation.

right now it’s on Vrana to avoid playing his way out of town.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
It's really weird. I felt like earlier in the season our D corps was very calm, collected, and confident....and now they aren't??

They were, but we were also getting scored on a lot. Indecision can mean confusion, and I wonder if the system's been tweaked one or two too many times to better support the goaltending, that guys aren't clear on how to make certain plays now?

letting Vrana continue to suck and get ice time also clearly isn’t the answer.

sometime the carrot is needed, sometime the stick.

Have to trust the coaching staff, otherwise it’s easy to second guess with only our limited “fan view” of the situation.

right now it’s on Vrana to avoid playing his way out of town.

What I thought was always curious, though, was Barry never scratching Orlov. He benched the hell out of him, but in the regular season Orlov was always right back in the next game. I don't think he scratched Wilson or Kuznetsov after his first year in Washington, either, despite similarly benching them. But Burky, Vrana, Schmidt, Connolly could all find their way to the press box after a bad game. Makes you wonder why some players get the carrot, and others the stick, in similar situations.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That’s like a 5 year old’s defense.....

”what about Johnny?!”

trust the coaching staffs that have dealt with this guy, trust that we have no effing clue what goes on behind closed doors.

We can’t really look at part of the picture and expect to understand it.

what it tells me is that some players struggle with ups and downs and coaches understand that....they also understand those who are not doing the right things in practice and off the ice, where we cannot understand those things, because we have no view into them.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’m all for letting some of the D rest to get TVR and Siegs some games. The D pairings have become way too comfortable IMO. It’s like there’s no actual competition anymore for those 6 spots. Start rotating guys and I guarantee you see the overall defensive play quickly improve
Yeah. Agreed. No need to run big ol ZZ out every night. Jensen has had some stinkers, as has obv Dillon.

I’d rotate one those 3 out on an every night basis. Leave 9/74/2 in each game unless dinged up.

the bigger question is do you play 34 or 57? Hard to get both in a given night.

I think we see a trade coming. Prob not a dman going out though, unless the salary is needed (Jensen or Dillon)

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Vrana’s been scratched because his effort is lacking. He’s mostly gliding around aimlessly instead of working for the puck.

Laughlin said it last night, his advice to any young goalscorer when they’re in a slump is to focus on doing the right things all over the ice, and then the goals will come.

Vrana’s been pulling a Laine on us and Lavi won’t tolerate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad