Post-Game Talk: Caps vs PHI Oct 7

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Would like to see both CMM and HL in the lineup, even if one moved to the wing.

Ideally, would like to see them playing together, with Wilson.

Reactions: Corby78

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Malenstyn and Pilon are still around, I imagine they could play 4th line with Dowd. Give Hagelin and Hathaway a night off.

I dig the Sheary-CMM-Oshie line. Give Eller or Kuzy a rest and play Lapierre on one of those lines.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The impression I get from listening to Laviolette is that these last 2 games are dress rehearsals for games that count with the NHL line up or as close as they can get. There is one center spot open. Either Mikey or Lappy is going to get that. There is one defense spot open. Either Kempny or TvR is going to get that.

Reactions: HecticGlow

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Would like to see both CMM and HL in the lineup, even if one moved to the wing.

Playing two rookies together on a line this late in the preseason is going to make it much harder for both to be successful or thrive, given they're likely to be playing against opportunistic vets the entire game. I'd like to see rookies in the lineup, but in roles that realistically show how they might be used in regular season play.

Ovi-Kuzy-Wilson
McMichael-Eller-Mantha
Sheary-Lapierre-Oshie
Hagelin-Malenstyn–Hathaway

Fever-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
Kempny-TVR

Something like that – close to an opening night roster, but with 1 or 2 call-ups.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
The impression I get from listening to Laviolette is that these last 2 games are dress rehearsals for games that count with the NHL line up or as close as they can get. There is one center spot open. Either Mikey or Lappy is going to get that. There is one defense spot open. Either Kempny or TvR is going to get that.

Agreed, although to open the season they also have a 13th forward spot and either a 14F or 8D spot open, for as long as Backstrom is out. Even if McMichael is the game 1 3C, they need to make a decision about whether to get Lapierre games early in the season or send him back to juniors. Also still competition between Pilon and Malynstein for bottom-six call up during the season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Agreed, although to open the season they also have a 13th forward spot and either a 14F or 8D spot open, for as long as Backstrom is out. Even if McMichael is the game 1 3C, they need to make a decision about whether to get Lapierre games early in the season or send him back to juniors. Also still competition between Pilon and Malynstein for bottom-six call up during the season.

Or, yea. They could prioritize the roster questions over getting the roster ready to play game 1. I am pretty sure the lines/pairs that skated in practice yesterday is what will skate in the game tonight.

Lets see if the Caps choose to keep a full roster. My guess is that they wont.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Given the way Lavi has talked about TVR in general I'd think that's not really much of a competition. You'd think Kempny only plays if Fehervary can't or struggles, in which case maybe sneaking/"risking" him on waivers to play regularly in Hershey is worthwhile.

With Backstrom presumably headed to LTIR there's little reason not to keep a full 23 player roster. Maybe putting a player on waivers now vs. later in the season is better but they could waive someone and still keep them on the roster.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Given the way Lavi has talked about TVR in general I'd think that's not really much of a competition. You'd think Kempny only plays if Fehervary can't or struggles, in which case maybe sneaking/"risking" him on waivers to play regularly in Hershey is worthwhile.

With Backstrom presumably headed to LTIR there's little reason not to keep a full 23 player roster. Maybe putting a player on waivers now vs. later in the season is better but they could waive someone and still keep them on the roster.

That would be amazing if someone claimed Kempny.

Edit: Actually no it wouldn't now that I think about it. It's not like we are hurting for immediate cap space anyways right now if Backstrom goes onto LTIR. And if Kempny can regain form while playing every game in Hershey, he could be a big help down the line.

Last edited:

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Or, yea. They could prioritize the roster questions over getting the roster ready to play game 1. I am pretty sure the lines/pairs that skated in practice yesterday is what will skate in the game tonight.

Lets see if the Caps choose to keep a full roster. My guess is that they wont.

Not saying you're wrong, just pointing out they have a few gaps to fill on the roster of players who will get games in the first dozen games if Backstrom is unavailable. They played pretty much the expected Game 1 lineup a couple of nights ago, so I'm not sure that substituting 1 or 2 players who've played quite a lot this preseason (I took out Dowd and Sprong in my example, but there are a number of guys) would detract from their Game 1 readiness necessarily. Given the role of the 4th line, I think there's an argument in favour of seeing whether they could realistically replace a guy like Dowd if he became injured or ill in the season – difference between knowing Malenstyn can play games and knowing he can fill a shutdown role, for example. And it would give them the best shot at seeing how ready a guy like McMichael or Lapierre really is.

Assuming Backstrom goes on LTIR, I don't know why you wouldn't have Lapierre and McMichael on the opening night roster (but only one in the lineup), unless you conclude in these final games that Lapierre really isn't ready against real opposing NHL lines.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
If Backstrom is LTIR, I would keep both CMM and Lapierre on the roster opening night, with one scratched. Rotate them, keep the competition going, and keep one around for an inevitable injury or uhhh....suspension. Even if one isn't playing every night, there is a benefit to sticking around for a bit on an NHL roster with NHL coaches and NHL practices. I wouldn't advocate they do that for the whole season but for a month until Backstrom is ready, why not?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I'm not sure how they can keep both Jimi and CM, so one of them is going to be really bummed if they get sent back, even if Jimi outplays CM, he seems like the likely one to go back to Jrs. WOuld love to keep both but not sure they would do that, they need to be playing games, not eating nachos.

If they do keep both, who would give up their spot?

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I'm not sure how they can keep both Jimi and CM, so one of them is going to be really bummed if they get sent back, even if Jimi outplays CM, he seems like the likely one to go back to Jrs. WOuld love to keep both but not sure they would do that, they need to be playing games, not eating nachos.

If they do keep both, who would give up their spot?
It would have to be Hagelin or Sheary. CMM would move to LW.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If Backstrom is LTIR, I would keep both CMM and Lapierre on the roster opening night, with one scratched. Rotate them, keep the competition going, and keep one around for an inevitable injury or uhhh....suspension. Even if one isn't playing every night, there is a benefit to sticking around for a bit on an NHL roster with NHL coaches and NHL practices. I wouldn't advocate they do that for the whole season but for a month until Backstrom is ready, why not?

I think a pure rotation wouldn’t be the right way to handle it. Looks like CMM is poised to win the competition in camp, so I’d play him (and everyone else) until a lineup change was needed.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
It would have to be Hagelin or Sheary. CMM would move to LW.
This would likely only be a 9 game solution though.

I think we should try him out for the 9 though, as long as he and CMM play every night.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They don't have any back-to-backs until November either so, yeah, rotations would awkward. Set rotations specifically. Performance-related rotation maybe could work but then you'd probably have them reverting toward just survival and not making mistakes. If Backstrom is indeed headed to LTIR I'd still tend to keep Lapierre around, mainly for the off-ice experience of the day-to-day. At best maybe they could give him a convenient game or two barring a top nine injury. I'd waive Malenstyn & Kempny to get down to 23 and also keep Pilon around as useful forward insurance just in case. The other thing is just how serious this injury may be with Backstrom. How long might it to take? Will rest be enough? I don't know if they can be totally sure about that so it may make sense to keep as many possible answers around.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I think a pure rotation wouldn’t be the right way to handle it. Looks like CMM is poised to win the competition in camp, so I’d play him (and everyone else) until a lineup change was needed.
Yes I wouldn’t do a rotation either, role with CMM but I’d still keep Lapierre around in case McMichael stumbles or someone else gets hurt. And as @Langway states, if nothing else for the off ice NHL experience for a few weeks (at least until they know what’s up with Backstrom)

But to other concerns, I don’t think Lapierre missing out on a few junior games is gonna hurt his development early. Keep him around and reassess in a couple weeks. He should still get plenty of game action this season

but also not really opposed to sending him back if they just wanna stick with Pilon/Malenstyn as an extra instead. Just wouldn’t shock me to see Lapierre hang out with the club for a bit even if he’s not playing.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Any idea who's playing in net tonight? Considering that Samsonov has/had some type of LBI, I would think it would be a good idea to have Fucale play tonight, just in case he has to backup VV to start the season.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Any idea who's playing in net tonight? Considering that Samsonov has/had some type of LBI, I would think it would be a good idea to have Fucale play tonight, just in case he has to backup VV to start the season.

If Sammy can go tonight, he has to go. He needs the reps.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Reactions: TheLegendOfPatPeake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad