Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Jackets 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'm fine with whoever they play as long as it isn't the Pens. I just think Bob always plays insanely good against the Caps.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I still can't believe Ovie passed on that open shot from the slot. The whole stadium was distraught that he didn't shoot there.

Dominant performance against a hot goalie makes it look closer than it was. Should have finished them in regulation to keep the point away. Oh well, Caps gained ground in the Metro tonight and are officially on a win streak against some good teams.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Feel like this was a perfect example of so many of our playoff games. We peppered the Goalie, tilted the ice, but it was a dog fight to the end. At the very least, I hope we can keep that up.

Also really hope The Bob wears down the Penguins (or vice versa) and we can see them in the second round.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the penguins aren't going to beat the blue jackets, imo, if they play in the playoffs. cbj will physically beat the penguins to a pulp. Dubinsky will destroy Crosby. I just don't see Murray out goaltending Bob the way he managed to do to Holtby last year. I could be wrong.

My view is that CBJ vaporizes the Pens

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Feel like this was a perfect example of so many of our playoff games. We peppered the Goalie, tilted the ice, but it was a dog fight to the end. At the very least, I hope we can keep that up.

Also really hope The Bob wears down the Penguins (or vice versa) and we can see them in the second round.

Yep, I came here to post the same thing. Goalies posting insane S% numbers, as we get the lions share of shots; cresting away.

We give up the first goal, somewhat demoralizing after tilting the ice. In the end, a coin flip game that easily could have gone either way.

Oshie saved us in the shootout. The amazing thing is goalies do not even get close to stopping his shots. The CBJ 3 shooters looked liked pee wee's with their feeble attempts. :laugh:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
the penguins aren't going to beat the blue jackets, imo, if they play in the playoffs. cbj will physically beat the penguins to a pulp. Dubinsky will destroy Crosby. I just don't see Murray out goaltending Bob the way he managed to do to Holtby last year. I could be wrong.

CBJ will need to beat two teams in the first round, if you know what I mean.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

If the Pens get Malkin and Letang back with a few games left in the season, they will beat the Jackets easily.

The other people missing are sort of irrelevant (MAYBE Geuntzal will be missed), but with Malkin and Letang the Pens are the Cup favorites.

What they have been doing game in and game out (7-1-2 last ten games) without Letang and Malkin (and Daley, Hainsey, Hagelin, Rust, Maatta) is sort of miraculous honestly.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
That game felt like one of the 2010 playoff games against Montreal....

Caps looked dominant, but the scoreboard don't show it! I like the makeup of this team better, but I wish we had a Joel Ward net front type (I know he wasn't on the 2010 team).

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
That game felt like one of the 2010 playoff games against Montreal....

Caps looked dominant, but the scoreboard don't show it! I like the makeup of this team better, but I wish we had a Joel Ward net front type (I know he wasn't on the 2010 team).

Yeah their net front presence (Knuble) got Ovechkin's late game tying goal in game seven waived off. :cry:

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
If the Pens get Malkin and Letang back with a few games left in the season, they will beat the Jackets easily.

The other people missing are sort of irrelevant (MAYBE Geuntzal will be missed), but with Malkin and Letang the Pens are the Cup favorites.

What they have been doing game in and game out (7-1-2 last ten games) without Letang and Malkin (and Daley, Hainsey, Hagelin, Rust, Maatta) is sort of miraculous honestly.

May be wishful thinking, but I see the depth of our lines being able to level the playing field this year. Last year, their 4 line depth was better. I'd rank it as follows:

Caps #1 Line > Crosby Line
Kuznetsov Line < Malkin Line
Eller Line = Bonino Line
Caps 4th > Pens 4th

It'll be all about matchups and goaltending in the playoffs.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
MJ is our net front presence.

Remain calm, all is well.

Joking aside, I feel like Oshie is the man down low. Few have his battle quotient. Williams seems a down low type as well.

That Knuble crease wave off changed this team, and is a huge part of our failed playoff history. That was our year.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think the big unknown with CBJ is just how ready are Werenski and Jones to carry that team from the back-end? They're a good team with pretty decent depth but who are the other difference makers? Saad? Foligno? Dubinsky?

They can do it but I don't think it's decisive. It's more likely a short series involves PIT coming out on top than CBJ. Checking alone doesn't do it and PIT's resolve ought to be better than it was in the past when they were taken off of their game. PIT with Malkin back at least knows what it takes and I'm not sure CBJ fully does just yet. If they could make it a grueling series it would be to their liking but CBJ's PP in particular has to be much better.

Kuznetsov and the rest of the second line need to be way better. As I see it the tone-setters up front are the first and fourth lines and then Burakovsky. The second line has the speed to be good in transition and with possession but actual offensive execution is questionable. That line most of all needs to find something much closer to playoff style desperation.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Interesting comment after a game in which the 2nd line generated the only goal...
It's less about one particular shift on a goal scored by a defenseman when the goalie was screened by a teammate or two than their production over the past month or so and their general level of play. Johansson has four points in the last eleven games, Kuznetsov three in ten and Williams four in twelve. They do have the puck a lot but it's too often just perimeter stuff. Kuznetsov has to be a difference maker and lately he hasn't been. This was the type of game he should have taken over and he wasn't much of a factor despite playing more than anyone up front 5-on-5.

The top line is starting to bring it but the second line hasn't elevated their play much offensively. Neither have Eller or Connolly lately but I don't have tremendous expectations for those two whereas I'm pretty sure the second line can be a lot better.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Let's be reality, we peaked before spring break. At least 2 and 3 did.

All it takes is one guy injured and playing through it dragging down the entire line. We can't always tell the difference. Ovi could have a wrist and we debate it for months.

Williams on a shift last night, was running around battling on a long shift, got knocked down, hit with a shot, almost crushed at the end of his shift at the bench... the guys just get dinged up. If they take time off, they run risk of someone taking their job.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It's less about one particular shift on a goal scored by a defenseman when the goalie was screened by a teammate or two than their production over the past month or so and their general level of play. Johansson has four points in the last eleven games, Kuznetsov three in ten and Williams four in twelve. They do have the puck a lot but it's too often just perimeter stuff. Kuznetsov has to be a difference maker and lately he hasn't been. This was the type of game he should have taken over and he wasn't much of a factor despite playing more than anyone up front 5-on-5.

The top line is starting to bring it but the second line hasn't elevated their play much offensively. Neither have Eller or Connolly lately but I don't have tremendous expectations for those two whereas I'm pretty sure the second line can be a lot better.

It may make sense to shake the middle 6 up. Flip Connolly and Williams. Or Kuz and Eller. I have thought Williams and Ellers board work would go well together, with Bura the "shooter"

Wilson w Kuz and MaJo might also fly. Put Connolly as the "shooter" on the 4th with Winnik and Beagle
Bottom 9:
MaJo - Kuz - Wilson (my please Tex line)
Bura - Eller - Williams
Winnik - Beagle - Connolly

Caps2Fan

Jan 6, 2014
I just don't understand why Beagle, with the 8th ranked face off percentage in the league, is on the ice for the opening OT face off, but not taking it...

Kuznetsov proceeds to lose it and give up the most important part of OT, possession. Just so mind boggling. While that wasn't the cause of our awful OT period, but losing possession off the bat certainly didn't set the tone we wanted.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I too want to see logical shakeups tried at the end of blowouts / as the race to first allows. 2 and 3 seem stale and all it takes is one shift to test the waters. Barry ain't changing now though.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
John Carlson throws errant, lazy passes to no one about as often as Locker mixes metaphors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad